return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Severe weather
View this Thread in Original format
Zoso
I live in Middle Tennessee, and tonight we're supposed to experience some very severe weather. This begs the question: what's the worst severe weather you have experience, COR members? I've personally never seen or been through a tornado, but I live in an area of TN that is actually quite prone to them. I figure since many of you are outside the US I could get some interesting near-disaster stories. Anything goes - floods, fire, winds, hail, blizzards. GO!
Caela
aside from the usual Noreaster/blizzard, a few years ago, we had an INSANE ice storm. everything was completely coated in ice, the roads were a solid (couple inches thick) sheet of ice...at least we got a week off from school :)

Researchers at the University of Vermont discovered birch branches on the school campus encased in ice 104 times their own weight — equivalent to a 150-pound adult wearing an 8-ton snowsuit.

Protege
Ive been through a number of hurricanes. Nothing Katrina like but hurricanes nonetheless.
lücid
Hurricane Bob in 1991...

i was vacationing on Block Island, Rhode Island with my family (they told us before we took the ferry to the island that there was a hurricane coming but my parents decided to go anyway).

it wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that we were staying in this little shack up on top of a hill (the house was owned by one of my father's friends). so during the first half of the storm the wind was so strong (105mph) that it broke this huge pine tree about 15 feet away from the house and it fell onto the roof. it didn't go all the way through but the roof was sagging quite a bit. then during the 2nd half of the storm, the winds were going the opposite direction and they blew the tree right off the house.

we were still there for another 5 days and we didn't get power back until the 4th day so we spent our entire vacation sitting in candlelight reading books and playing games. we had to go down to this freshwater spring to get water, and luckily we had enough food in the house with us but we couldn't cook anything unless we made a campfire outside.

it was a crazy but fun vacation, definitely very memorable! :)
Zoso
Aside from some high straightline winds and hail, I've been very fortunate. But then you have nights like last week where 20+ people in northwest TN were killed. And the fun is just starting tonight. The first wave of storms are in Nashville, and the rest are brewing over the Plains. They'll get here about the time I'm in a deep, coma-like sleep. Ah, the joys of living in a two-storey home with no basement or storm shelter. If Zoso doesn't log in next week and make a smart ass comment, you know it got rough. You are free to create an appreciation thread at that point. (Hi Arcadia!)
Floorfiller
severe weather calls for severe sweater!

shut up!

u nasty!
Zoso
+1 to FloorFiller. And sweaters.
tubularbills
I went storm chasing yesterday, and ended up in northeastern Kansas. they kept saying on the radio that the far northeast counties were going to get hit the hardest.

and sure enough....

i missed it by two counties to the west. DAMN! :whip: and that was it! like nothing else happened. just wind, rain, and hail. that sucked, driving through nebraska to get back to I-80 in Iowa and it was starting to get dark out, and rain and hail was coming down for almost 30-40 minutes. blah.

but we were in the textbook spot for stuff to happen too. i mean, it really couldn't have been more perfect. but then things fired up further north on the dryline than expected, and so when they curved towards the north, it was too far west of where we were. ended up wasting like 1.5 hours just sitting....waiting. ugh.

the whole area was under HIGH risk and 30% for tornadoes. and yet only 19 were confirmed yesterday; compared to the 60+ on sunday. was a bit disappointed that nothing more happened.

Ironically enough, i've still had only successful chasing up in minnesota, and not actually in the heart of "tornado alley".

got some cool pictures tho:

these turned into HUGE mammatus [sp?] clouds.

sorry about the bugs on the windshield :(

bettter image of cell we caught up with [i rolled my window down]

gotta love that Rear-flank downdraft!
Zoso
Those are awesome. However, I hope I don't see anything like that this afternoon.
Zewad
DUDE, I live in Northeast Kansas.. it was exactly like you said perfect conditions... it hailed like crazy here... all i had to do was walk out my front door to see the show... people were all out on their balconies checking the out.. it was crazy..

this was not the worst ive ever seen..

i once saw 7 tornadoes at once in Tampa, some were waterspouts and some were tornadoes over looking the bay... now that was in crazy!! still not the worst...

my worst is probably the march storm of 93... ripped a hole all across the east coast.. and Tampa for that matter..

tubularbills
quote:
Originally posted by Zewad
DUDE, I live in Northeast Kansas.. it was exactly like you said perfect conditions... it hailed like crazy here... all i had to do was walk out my front door to see the show... people were all out on their balconies checking the out.. it was crazy..

this was not the worst ive ever seen..

i once saw 7 tornadoes at once in Tampa, some were waterspouts and some were tornadoes over looking the bay... now that was in crazy!! still not the worst...

my worst is probably the march storm of 93... ripped a hole all across the east coast.. and Tampa for that matter..

dude, where do you live? I came into Kansas on Route 36, and then staked out around Hiawatha, and then turned north on Route 75 into Nebraska.

I heard Clay Center got hit in' hard. as well as Manhattan. sweet damn.
Zoso
Nashville just got to' up. Not sure how much of it we'll end up getting, but it looks like more is still brewing.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement