return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > FIFA World Cup 2006 - Germany

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
The U.S. Media is a Disgrace (pg. 3)
View this Thread in Original format
jonze234
quote:
Another reason why soccer will never enthrall Americans is that the game is contrary to nature. What is it that is unique to the physical makeup of human beings that sets us apart from the animal world? Two things: Our large brains and our grasping hands with opposable thumbs. Our big brain is why we're called homo sapiens, thinking man. And our ability to use our hands to grasp and manipulate objects is why one of our early ancestors was designated homo habilis, handy man. Human beings are thinking toolmakers. We're able to imagine the arrowhead in the stone and use our hands to carve it out of the rock. These two uniquely human traits have allowed us to become the dominant species on the planet.

im surprised that this person can grasp the concept of evolution. most people that write like this are to enthralled in the "god created everything and that's the answer to every question" type of thinking. i guess this person cant understand the reasons why people love this sport and when people cant understand things they try to bash it and write it off so they feel better about being ignorant.
Azz3D
quote:
When the ball actually approaches one of the goals, the fans reach fever pitch and the cheering becomes a deafening roar.

americans are the ones who don't know how to BE FANS

for example, if the home team is leading by a huge margin, and as soon as the opposing team makes a score, the crowd shuts up
americans have to be told to "make noise" or shout "DE-FENSE! DE-FENSE"
just go to any sporting event and you'll know what i'm talking about :
huge screens telling the crowd to cheer and people leaving before the game is over if their team is losing
that's not a definition of a fan, that's a definition of a brainwashed robot
eRRaTiK
quote:
Originally posted by paranoik0
I can't believe they are passing this as a serious "story". It's like they asked a 10 year old redneck kid to list his reasons of why "soccer" sucks, then rewrote it with big words.

Seriously. "soccer sucks, it's for donkeys" turns into:

"Actually, the donkey would have a significant advantage over humans in soccer. It has four legs rather than two. The donkey has no hands or opposable thumbs, nor any need of them in order to play soccer. And smashing its head into a soccer ball probably would not cause any diminution of equine IQ. Soccer, then, would appear to be a game better suited to dim-witted quadrupeds than to human beings."

:stongue:

that's fkn hilarious! you should take that writer's job.
benni
:stongue: who gives a about america anyways
paranoik0
quote:
Originally posted by eRRaTiK
that's fkn hilarious! you should take that writer's job.

thanks, but that was actually copy-pasted from the article :stongue:
Groundhog Boy
quote:
Originally posted by chesco
Actually,r eading through this is quite embarrasing. If this is the standard of journalism in the USA then it really is worrying. It reads as tho written for an kindergarted audience.

Wow they use their heads, shock in horror. What about boxers, rugby players, hockey players, the list goes on. this is clearly just an attack on football with little substance to back it up.

It's an opinion piece, not a news story. There's tons of ty writing worldwide, so why does this surprise anyone?

This is from a pretty conservative US publication, so I'm not shocked. While it's funny, it is pretty annoying that these people do represent a good percentage of people.

For more non-soccer laughs, check out some of their other gems - http://news.yahoo.com/i/2280
George Smiley
quote:
Originally posted by LittleGoku
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006...in1746998.shtml

This article pretty much sums up the U.S. stance on "soccer" and its upward ascent at a snail-like pace. The media (excluding ESPN) is pretty much the one that is holding back this sport.
After I read that article, I want to apologize to the world on behalf of my country. I am sorry for this nation full of ignorant morons in the media . It seems as if this nation is still at square one.

No probs mate, the article is from the neoconservative Weekly Standard so their 'journalists' think America is the pinnacle of everything there is in the World, and if America are at football (soccer!) it must be the fault of the sport, not the fact that America are absolutely wank at it! :D
George Smiley
Oh and just incase anyone cares about dodgy links...

The editor of the magazine is William Kristol, who is chairman of the Project for a New American Century, and that group consists of all the whacko neoconservative political types who advised Bush and co into going to war with Iraq which, along with their policy of supporting Israel no matter what, has turned every terrorist in the world against the West and has caused the deaths of thousands and thousands of innocent people around the world...

So excuse me if I don't care for their opinion on football...
InterMilan31
http://home.no.net/bernt/soccer/
George Smiley
To be fair, when Americans do get into their 'soccer' it usually sounds summat like this...

http://manchesterbuccaneers.spaces....sonalSpace.aspx

:D :D :D

InterMilan31
:wtf: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
jonze234
quote:
Originally posted by George Smiley
To be fair, when Americans do get into their 'soccer' it usually sounds summat like this...

http://manchesterbuccaneers.spaces....sonalSpace.aspx

:D :D :D

About the Author
Adrian Sherling worked for Sky Sports for six years. His main job was ghost-writing columns for the pundits, which has been invaluable experience for writing from the point of view of a 12-year-old.

the synopsis about the book is pretty funny.

quote:
Roswell attempts to spread the word about Manchester and their successes and failures against teams such as Tott Nam, made up predominantly of young Vietnamese players

:stongue:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Privacy Statement