return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Why do you do this to yourself? (attn: hard rollers)
View this Thread in Original format
RealJazz
I am a true techno (mainly trance) music fan and really don't really need anything kind of brain candy to enjoy the beats. I do, however, enjoy the occasional roll once in a while, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I often go to shows, clubs or after hours clubs without any toxins whatsoever.

This past saturday, I went to a rave with a friend of mine, and we both took a few pills of E, and danced the night away. When 9 AM came around, I decided to draw the line, pack things up and go home. She stayed and said not to worry about her and that she was gonna stick around a bit longer. I never heard from her all day sunday. I get to work this monday morning to see my light flashing on my phone, telling me I have voicemail. It was her almost crying on the phone, she was coming down, and was depressed as , almost crying, asking me to please call her back.

I called her up, and to my surprise, she had just gotten home. She went to another after hour bar that opened up that morning, then to another sunday night. she hadn't slept since friday night, and had done E, mesc, coke just a "bit" of speed.

She confessed to me that while living in spain last summer she had once popped eight pills within a couple of hours, and a bunch of other declarations which I don't feel like getting into. She felt all depressed and said just wanted to hear my voice to make her feel better.

I tried my best to comfort her, but I told her she's going to have to change her lifestyle, cuz this is getting all ed up.

Thing is see, is that I know there's a ton of people out there that do this, but I really can't understand why. Why not draw the line sooner. Personally, I think rolling all night kicks your body's ass, as it takes like two full days for me to "fully recover" and be back to normal again. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like after a 4 or 5 day bender. Also, what about the long term effects? We all know that will dumb you the up, right?

I also personally believe that in moderation, drugs like these aren't that bad. Moderation also enables you to enjoy it more, because you're not always ing high and it becomes a special occasion.

I don't really know why I'm writing this, I think it's just that I'm sad to see so many people I know destroy their bodies, their future and their careers, all over a stupid little pill.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this subject, especially for those of you who are anything like my friend described above...

M
skywarp
For one, people are generally self-destructive by nature. Another thing, if you're friends with partypeople like the girl you described, you should be prepared to handle a situation like that. Depression is a normal after-effect of a drug binge like that ... what comes up must come down, and the higher you go the harder you fall.

If you want to help her, be supportive and be there for her if she needs you. Don't preach her about "changing her lifestyle" if you want to keep her trust, she'll eventually realise herself that she needs to change.
tranceDJ
I agree w/ skywarp. People when they're coming off the drugs don't want to lose the feeling so they take more and then more and once they do finally come down its a bitch. Consuel your friend and tell her to either stop drugs completely (they are nice but not a necessity) or do what you are doing which while it isn't ok, its not that bad.

I'm also digging that avatar RealJazz, Jaegar's the best:D
Excite
you shouldn't judge ecstasy based on what happens to some stupid E-tard. there are plenty of people that take it responsibly and carefully.
RealJazz
quote:
Originally posted by Excite
you shouldn't judge ecstasy based on what happens to some stupid E-tard. there are plenty of people that take it responsibly and carefully.

You obviously either didn't read or understand what I said. I wasn't "judging" Ecstacy, I was more so wondering why and how people can become so self-destructive in the party scene. Like I said above, I use it, but do so responsibly and carefully, in moderation.
!_PeTrUs_!
quote:
Originally posted by Excite

Indeed, and 8 Elvis in a couple of hours isn't possible. I'm sorry to say, but I can know.

If you do it in an normal way there's a small change that it will go wrong. And never leave a friend behind on her own when she/he has taken drugs, they can get paranoide.
RealJazz
quote:
Originally posted by !_PeTrUs_!

Indeed, and 8 Elvis in a couple of hours isn't possible. I'm sorry to say, but I can know.

They weren't all E.
Special_K
Seeing people high to the point where they cant even talk right makes me ing sick to my stomache. Like those people deserve all the emotional trauma they will face years down the road. And DONT say that dosnt your emotions up because they do. I know lots of adults now that did tons of E while kids and there ED.
bug_bite
you know what...as much as it hurts to see friends doing this to themselves, and as much as you can't understand why they would do it, it's just a natural part of growing up and discovering who they are for a lot of people.

I am heavily involved in my local scene. I do everything from help organize parties to flyering to co-hosting a radio show and I can tell you that every single person I know either has, or has had at one point, a problem with drugs. Sometimes they have to crash and burn before they recognize the problem and fix it so that they can go out and have fun without feeling horrible. And sometimes they have to crash and burn dozens and dozens of times before they realize they can't control it and it's better to just step out completely.

But everyone is different. The radio show I co-host is Saturday nights 3am to 6am and on Fridays and Saturdays I'm always the designated driver for my boyfriend and our friends (who are all djs and always stay out until well after sunrise). That means I stay up late no matter what on the weekends. That's really hard, and I do it without substances most of the time. But that comes with it's downpoints too. Often the next day I'm sick because of the non-chemically assisted sleep deprevation I put myself through the night before. But to me, being sick is better than being depressed.

Another example is someone like my boyfriend. He used to have a problem with alcohol and was really depressed. He overcame it and he still drinks and does drugs to stay up all night each weekend but they're not a problem anymore because he learned a lot about himself and about the way he approaches them. They don't make him depressed anymore and while he may be sick the next day it's not mentally, it's just tired and worn out so it doesn't bother him.

Then take one of my good friends who just doesn't know when to quit. Over December/January he was doing so much meth that I could start to see him getting meth sores all over himself. He would go through a gram of meth a night at least and he wasn't just doing it on the weekends. This is a guy who will kill himself before he ever realizes he has a problem...but at least in his case he's still having fun. He's not depressed and he doesn't really care that what he's doing is hurting his body.

And last but not least is a girl who could not take it. Much like my boyfriend and my friend she couldn't go out without doing drugs, but afterwards she reacted very differently than them...she was very muh like your friend. She felt horrible and would cry and be depressed and not eat and get sick. Finally she just changed her entire social setting because she realized that as long as she was going to "raves" or going to clubs with friends who do drugs she was going to not have control over the drugs and get sick and depressed. I haven't seen her in a long time but I bet she's doing great now.

So you see, every person is different. I choose not to do drugs very often even if it's hard for me to stay awake because I loose weight and get sick when I do drugs a lot. My way of life, the parties, the radio, the music, are all too important to me to let drugs get in the way...so I just keep them at bay. For my boyfriend this is his way of life as well except the drugs fit in perfectly without affecting him and so he's not hurting anyone by doing them. My friend will one day probably have a heart attack and be forced to quit...but as far as he's concerned he'll keep going on until then because he enjoys his life right now. And the girl, well she just couldn't handle the drugs so she left.

Just be supportive for your friend. She'll soon figure things out for herself. Maybe she will step out and find a new social setting. Maybe she will be like my boyfriend: get a grasp on her problem and start over in a way that make drugs not so harmful to herself. Or maybe she'll be like me and realize that given the choice between the music side of her life and the drug side of it, the only way she can keep the music is to ditch the drugs.

Eventually she'll figure it out and if you're there for her it'll mean a lot to her all the way through.

take care,
Slylee
let's see, long term affects of lots of drugs..hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ummmmmm, , i forgot what i was gonna say....

she just needs to realize for herself that she doesn't need the drugs any more and THE DAMN MUSIC should get her high enuff!

Spad
Because it's fun. That's really the whole story, yeah some do it as a means to to escape from problems etc... but at the end of the day people aren't stupid. They wouldn't do it if it didn't feel good. They do it because it's fun, it feels good, and they have decided (as adults) that they are willing to take the risks accociated with drug use in order to get that particular high.

People take risks every day in order to have fun; people go snowboarding, trek through jungles in Asia alone. There was this guy on TV the other day who sat in a bath of ice for over an hour to break some world record and personally I think he was crazy but if it's what he wants to do and he's willing to accept the accociated risks that go with it then good on him, glad he's having fun.

A lot of a drug comedown isn't directly related to the drugs at all. I mean if I went out and danced from 9pm - 6am without any drugs I'm sure I'd feel pretty rough the next day. But again people do this with alcohol all the time, and speaking from experience I'd rather have an E comedown to a bad alcohol hangover. A comedown is mental...you can learn to rise above it. But a hangover is basically your body saying "don't do that to me again for while", you actually feel ill and your body actually wants to throw up the toxins that you've poisoned yourself with. Yet people still do it because it's fun. And of course those people would deny that they need alcohol to have fun and they're right to deny it, but alcohol helps them loosen up, lose their inhibitions a bit. And to be honest I think most people enjoy being a bit ed in some way or another. It's no different to why people use drugs.

So I think the reason is..it's fun. And yes 8 pills in a short space of time is perfectly possible. I never did it and I never will but I've seen it (and worse) done.
Slylee
yes but remember, it's a false sense of happiness..it goes away...not only does it go away, but u get the complete reverse affect when it wears off...that should tell u something...i am talking about the hard stuff here for the record...smokin a joint is diff...but i mean like "e" and coke and all that ...just puts a dent in ur pocket and not only that but it's dangerous cuz it's not really the same any more, u really dont know what ur getting these days.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement