return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Chicago, Detroit & N. Central USA

Pages: [1] 2 3 
For All You Smokers
View this Thread in Original format
haider
Gov likely to approve statewide smoking ban
73-42 VOTE | Public buildings smoke-free by Jan. 1

May 2, 2007
BY WHITNEY WOODWARD AND DAVE MCKINNEY Staff Reporters

SPRINGFIELD -- Restaurants, bars, workplaces and all public buildings in Illinois would go smoke-free by Jan. 1 under landmark legislation passed Tuesday by the Illinois House and embraced by Gov. Blagojevich.

The proposal, which passed 73-42, would even out the patchwork of local smoking bans already established across the state.

• Statewide smoking ban OK'd
"This bill is not about smokers or smokers' rights. It's about the rights of non-smokers, of children, of the elderly and the hardworking people who take our dinner orders and clean our tables," said state Rep. Karen Yarbrough (D-Maywood).

Approved by the Senate in March, the bill would clear Chicago bars and eateries of smoke six months earlier than the city's July 1, 2008, deadline to go smoke-free.

The proposal would forbid smoking in restaurants, bars, workplaces and dormitories -- although smokers could continue to puff in most private offices and most nursing home rooms as long as smoke didn't waft into public areas.

Blagojevich must sign the proposal before it's law. "It sure sounds to me like that would be something that I would enthusiastically sign," he said.

The measure builds upon a 2005 law that gave cities the right to establish their own smoking bans. To date, 44 municipalities have created their own ordinances, and any provisions tougher than the standard agreed upon Tuesday could remain in place. Chicago's ban on smoking in nursing home rooms, for example, would remain intact, said Janet Williams of the Illinois Coalition Against Tobacco.

Her group and others lauded Tuesday's vote as a way to protect the health of food service employees and patrons.

But opponents argued the legislation is unfair government intrusion.

"There is probably uncontroverted evidence that secondhand smoking is damaging. . . . But it doesn't mean we should trample on the rights of the minority who choose to pollute their own lungs," said state Rep. David Winters (R-Shirland).
17thfloorplumbe
this is ing stupid... i agree with banning smoking in public places... but last time i checked in most public places it was alrady banned.. when was the last time you saw some1 light up in a shopping mall or... say the movie theater...? you didnt because the places already established their own ban on smoking. If restaurants are concerned with smoking then get rid of the smoking section (which almost all have done on their own... been into a dennys lately?).
What this is really getting at is banning smoking in bars/clubs so this line is complete bull: "It's about the rights of... children, of the elderly and the hardworking people who take our dinner orders" Ive only seen a minimal amount of children/elderly in the clubs recently .. and no one has taken my ing dinner order.
So state wide ban on smoking in public places... then cigar bars are out the window...sucks for them... chicago has a long standing heritage of cigar bars and now what?
The point is if you dont like a place because of their smoking policy...then don't patron it... either the place will miss your business enough to change its policy or you will find some place else to spend your fri/sat...
political bull...
RJT
Put quite a few clubs and bars out of business in Madison and Appleton.

:(

Lost a nice residency. Cocksucking nonsmoking zealot motherfuckers.

Sorry. I'm still really angry. :mad:
Aquadyne
since i quit smoking

i support this 100%
RJT
quote:
Originally posted by Aquadyne
since i love to stir

i support this 100%

Fixed for accuracy :p
delobbo
UWM
I do not support this.
jonSun
It should be up to the owner, not the state.
seneca
man this is like the vinyl / cd debate...

I ing hate smelling like smoke after getting home.
delobbo
quote:
Originally posted by seneca
man this is like the vinyl / cd debate...

I ing hate smelling like smoke after getting home.

:nod: your whole self smelling like smoke = ftl. f*cking this was supposed to happen on March 17th of this year. For some reason, it didn't. :mad:

haider
I don't smoke...

but if I have the urge to just stand there and light a doobie - thats my right damnit!!!
Blake_Jarrell
i wish there was a state wide ban on rubin and haider circle jerking each other
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement