return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Interpreting Dreams
View this Thread in Original format
Theresa
Ok...

So do any of you interpret your own dreams? Do you ever wonder if they mean anything? Do you like hearing other peoples dreams, and trying to interpret them?

I am no expert on the dream process, but I theorize that dreaming is something similar to defragging a computer. Your brain filters through all of the information it has processed, including thoughts, feelings, images, conversations, etc.etc.etc. and while going through this, it spews out what often seems like a very disjointed and confusing story.

I think, however, that the "story" it creates is significant in some way. Your brain is being left to its own devices, with no conscious control (if you're in REM state). Our brains are powerful machines when we have control over them, but when we lose control, is it not safe to assume that what it does on its own is important, or meaningful in some way?

Anyway, I wonder what dreams mean, or if they mean anything. I wonder what the significance is in certain things involving dreams. When you dream about someone, what are the implications? Etc.etc.etc.

I've been thinking about it lately because in the past 2 days, I have had 3 people tell me I was in their dreams.

1 - a girl from one of my classes. I have hardly said more than a few sentences to this girl, and don't even know what her name is. However, she had a dream about me. She told me that I was her room mate and that I had invited her ex over despite her own wishes of not having him in the house. She said she interpreted it as me being her "common sense" or "intelligence". It was a compliment, but at the same time it was weird.

2 - a guy I used to date. He wouldn't tell me the details... but I haven't spoken to him in months upon months. Out of no where he had a dream about me.

3 - my boyfriend. Now this one bothers me a little. He said that in the dream, he and one of his friends (who was driving) came to pick me up. This alone is weird, as we've never been in a car together with someone else other than ourselves driving. Then at some point, they dropped me off somewhere. He says that he felt both in his dream, and in reality this great sense of uneasiness - that something was really wrong. He said that in the dream, he insisted on going back to get me... and then he woke up. He said it really bothered him, as the feeling he had was awful.

To me, being in someone's dream has some type of significance. What it is, I dunno.

What are your thoughts? Is there really anything to any of this, or is it just a load of hobunky and dreams mean squat?
eROs.au
nope
Oreoh142
don't believe in interpreting dreams...when i was little i used to tihnk that my dreams were like a TV, because when i had nightmares i would just "change the channel" to something not scary. And yeah, i mean like i dream none stop about the girl i like, but i mean you can only hope :rolleyes:
Omega_M
dreams are like the oracles of delphi. Vague and open to convenient interpretations.
jupiterone
Usually when something bad happens in my dream, something really bad happens the next day.
Spacey Orange
wow, what a coincidence. i dreamt about theresa too.
BTG
one time i ed this girl with both of my penises. :conf: :conf:
Lira
Even though I'm somewhat sceptical about all this, I can't deny the fact that, even if the images rendered by our brain were random, they'd have an impact on us as soon as we thought about them.

My girlfriend, for example, can't help being a worrier. And her dreams are more like nightmares, reason why she's often scared when she wakes up. But, as she thinks about her dreams, she kinda incorporates them in her perception of the world, and it's almost as if her dream became self-fulfilling prophecies (except when she dreams about zombie children bleeding and stuff :p). She dreamed about Japan before actually living there, and she said it was pretty darn accurate.

In my case, though, I think most of my dreams reflect the kind of person I am: urban and, deep inside, rebellious. No wonder I dream about the underground, lifts and riots almost every night - it's fun :p

What bothers me a little is my girlfriend's prophetic dreams, though. A dream she had a couple of years ago scared the hell out of me: she thought I would break up with her and, last year, I realised I was going to do exactly the same thing she thought I would. But, being the Lira I am, when I realised what I was doing, I did the exact opposite :D
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa
Do you like hearing other peoples dreams,

no. worst conversations ever. like reading a book that has ty characters and doesn't make sense.
Omega_M
I have dreamt of events that have actually happened the next day. not too dramatic, but enough to make you pause and wonder. true story. And no there wasn't anything to interpret. It was just like dreaming a specific sequence of events that turned out to be true the next day!

Lira
^^^
That's the kind of stuff that scares me, hehe.
quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
no. worst conversations ever. like reading a book that has ty characters and doesn't make sense.

Really? I'm the complete opposite. I like to know what other people dream about, as dreams tend to be rather messed up.

Talking about messed up, I dreamt about a sodomised tiger the day before yesterday. I wonder what Freud would say about that... poor kitty cat :( :p
Sushipunk
I'm of the school of thought that while you're sleeping, your brain is pretty much firing off neurons randomly. Sometimes those neurons go through visual areas of the brain, sometimes memory areas, sometimes other areas. The reason it seems like a 'story' or a situation is due to your brain doing it's everyday job: Stringing together and attempting to make sense of all available stimuli.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement