return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 
What does "over-produced' mean to you?
View this Thread in Original format
OurManFlint
I here this term a lot, of over-production. What do you guys consider to be over-production in a track? When is a track under-produced? Just trying to get an idea of that line.
mysticalninja
i think only gay rock snobs call things over-produced lol.

"omg dragonforce sux they so overproduced they sound like live!"
Jono404
Overproduced to me is like that brand of trance you hear alot with too much going on at once so you can't hear the kick and it's all wishy washy. I can't think of an example, but a lot of uplifting trance is like this.
Subtle
a track that is so technical it has lost its soul.
Elec
I think an overproduced track is one that has many elements which dont really add anything positive to it. When Im attempting to make a track I only add samples or instruments if I feel like they are enhancing the track. One good sound is better than 5 average random sounds.
When a track is over compressed and obnoxiously loud, I call it overmastered.
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by Subtle
a track that is so technical it has lost its soul.

AKA BT's Emotional Technology album.
3F05Q
I've only heard the term 'overproduced' used in this context:

3-4 piece band (drummer, bassist, guitarist, vocalist)

Album is produced with far more instrumentation than is typical of said 3-4 piece band, ie. multiple guitar parts at once, strings, synths, choir vocals, etc.

Album is said to be 'overproduced'.
echosystm
over producing is when you start taking zinc supplements

:gsmile:
nytrox
like mentioned above:

1)too much focus on production-tricks/ -techniques vs. low musical content or soul

2) it could also stand for bad production (too much eq, compression...)
richg101
as someone has already said. overproduced only applys to music which is generally perceived to be played live (such as rock). when a track which should sound like it is recorded live sounds like the musicians/vocalists are robotised, and maybe a bass sounds so perfect it lacks that great sound you can only get from a bassist playing through a quad 10" in a grimey pub where there is a slight bit of standing waves from the overdone bass volume. this scenerio usually leaves an audience who are used to the cd release feeling cheated when they hear the band playing live, with no vocal tuning work and no manley/ssl processing on the mixdown.

as far as dance music is concerned, I love overproduced tracks. the better a mix/compression and general sound is, the better it takes advantage of the overstretched club rig. and the more the sound is able to take you on that rocking night. i guess these tracks are then given the old 'crackle'(or 'insert dirty vst effect here') effect to dope the listener into thinking the track was made on a grubby old studio in a dank cellar somewhere.

svd's music is overproduced imo. it doesnt need to sound as good as it does. its just nice that it does because it brings the level of expectations higher and ensures other artists strive for the same quality of club rocking hits.

echosystm
i think in reference to edm, overproducing is where you think you're improving the song, but you are ruining it. this happens because your ears have adjusted too much or you've spent too much time obsessing on stupid things.
jon_fisher
i would say to much compression robbing the track of its dynamics, over compressed kicks and bass with far to many effects constantly being heavily used
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement