return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
There Will Be Blood
View this Thread in Original format
Marcus007
Anyone seen this?

Lemme start by saying I'm a huge Paul Thomas Anderson (PTA) fan. Boogie Nights is, in my opinion, Paul's best work followed closely by Punch Drunk Love and then Magnolias.

Daniel Day-Lewis is, as usual, incredible. This guy is just a God when it comes to character and line delivery. What surprised me the most was Paul Dano, whom some of you might know as one of the loser sidekicks in "Girl Next Door." You'd imagine any actor next to Day-Lewis would be outstaged but Dano holds his ground and delivers a great performance. I'm hoping he gets a nomination in the supporting category for this years Oscars.

Acting and cinematography are the true star of this film...

I found the ending lacked resolution but I guess you'll have to see it to decide for yourself. Some say this film brought PTA closer to Altman's style but I completely disagree. "There Will be Blood" resembled a new age Kubrick film. A study of greed, emotions, family and how far some will go to make it in this world. Moral allegories at it's finest.

The ending wasn't to my liking but the comparison to Kubrick has the finale make sense in MY mind. Kubrick had this way of finishing a film before the audience could expect it. Think of "2001" or "Clockwork Orange." Actually, the film is very similar to "Clockwork" in many ways. An exploration into the mind and a great metaphor for our insatiable thirst of oil.

For art house fans, yes. For the general public... I don't know. The film is an hour too long and the ending draws on too long for a commercial success.

HOW ABOUT YOU MOFOS?
Allied Nations
I just put on Clockwork Orange last night... will definitely try and check this out, thanks for the heads up - oil is always an interesting topic
Marcus007
dj shuttheup
Mitsutranza
It's my favorite film of the year and possibly the decade. Day-Lewis gives his best performance to date outstaging himself as Bill the Butcher with a deeper and more sinister role here. PTA is proving to be maybe the best director of his generation with outstanding achievements all around (Magnolia is in my top ten of all time).
I understand where you're coming from with the ending Marcus, but I loved it especially with that line he delivers. The whole scene there was one of the most intense i've seen in a loooooong time and i loved every minute :)
A bunch of us are going to see it tonight, i'm seeing it again so i'm really curious to see how i feel after a second viewing.
Day-Lewis deserves that Globe and he'll deserve that Oscar when he gets it :D Dano definately deserves a nom at least (everyone saying Bardem for No Country of Old Men...he was sick but Dano would equally deserve the award).
Also, Anderson needs to win for Best Director. Seriously, this guy is a genius.

Go watch this movie people!
Marcus007
dude it was incredible but i dont think it's the film of the decade...

the film leaves you wanting more... way more... there is no resolution... the movie gives no satisfaction to the viewer other than the fact that its well shot and incredibly well acted...

at one point day-lewis is the films hero and then at another hes a vile monster... i wanted to see this monster die for all the harm he did...SOMETHING OTHER THAN "I'M FINISHEDD!!!!"

The eli killing at the end just didn't make sense!!!

we're left to assume he rots in a prison for the rest of his life? why couldnt we see that?

i love PTA man... and I respect the actors in this film... it was like a beautiful puzzle with awkward matching pieces...

what do you gather after watching the film? what does it leave you with?
malek
You guys can't imagine how pissed I am for still not seeing this movie! Its only at one place in the city and at akward times (see 3 hours movie).

I have been seeing the trailer dfor a long long time and for that moment on I just wanted to see it.

ugh:whip:
Marcus007
muahahah loser go to paramount and see it!!!!
Mitsutranza
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus007
dude it was incredible but i dont think it's the film of the decade...

the film leaves you wanting more... way more... there is no resolution... the movie gives no satisfaction to the viewer other than the fact that its well shot and incredibly well acted...

at one point day-lewis is the films hero and then at another hes a vile monster... i wanted to see this monster die for all the harm he did...SOMETHING OTHER THAN "I'M FINISHEDD!!!!"

The eli killing at the end just didn't make sense!!!

we're left to assume he rots in a prison for the rest of his life? why couldnt we see that?

i love PTA man... and I respect the actors in this film... it was like a beautiful puzzle with awkward matching pieces...

what do you gather after watching the film? what does it leave you with?

malek might not like that you spoiled the whole ending there hehe, but anyway.

*************SPOILERS BELOW (FOR THE PURISTS)*****************

I don't know how it could of ended any differently.

First off, what I get from the film is a great story about a man who rises from a silver-digging unknown to millionaire madman - i love stories about the effects of power, greed and wealth (Citizen Kane is the obvious comparison and i love that film). Secondly, I see it as a great commentary on today's America (and its president who's out for oil and very religious, no coincidence there i think) and on the kind of people that made America what it is today, who got their hands dirty and cared about nothing but their success. I loved the commentary on religion, how it can just as easily be a device through which one can manipulate and get power like through oil (in this case).
The ending was quite perfect as it closed all the character-arcs and resolved their stories: H.W. became his own man, Eli was exposed for the fraud he always was and finally got what's coming to him (I don't know about you but he was just as selfish and closed-minded as Plainview except he didn't admit to it and he played with people's faith which is worse) and Daniel was left to basically live out the rest of his short life in that mansion. Alone. I doubt he goes to prison, the bland expression on the butler's face seemed like the mess can be taken care of and Plainview's final words are the end, he's finished living his life with people, he's finished what he set out to accomplish: have enough money to get away from everyone and with killing Eli he did because if didn't Eli would keep coming back asking for money, he'd never forget the 5000$ Daniel told him he'd get which the latter didn't want to pay out of sound principles (instead gave the money to his brother, "the true prophet", i loved that).
Anything after that scene would be Plainview living his lonely life as a mad drunk in a mansion or what, follow H.W. to Mexico? That's not the story.

Also, i don't think Daniel is all that evil and deserved to die. After watching it a second time i really noticed that he loved H.W., that he wanted family which is why he confided so much in his "brother" (and went nuts and became a murderer after he found who he really was), after all he really wanted somebody to love but everyone let him down in a way.
To say that the only thing you get from the film is incredible acting and nice cinematography is i think to do the film injustice. Every aspect of the film is excellent, from the music to the script to the direction and the flow and i could go on and on.
I like movies that take time to tell good stories, and this was that.

What more did you want from the film? And, I'm just curious, is there a movie you could say is your favorite of the decade so far?
Piano4444
Is this in theatres or out on video?
B018
i saw the trailer and it is very interesting plsu am reading a book called BLOOD AND OIL these days, so i should go c it

Allied Nations
quote:
Originally posted by B018
i saw the trailer and it is very interesting plsu am reading a book called BLOOD AND OIL these days, so i should go c it

bro i couldn't find you any chavez stuff... i looked!
Spin Laden
I'll drop a review and try not to look at Mitzu's at the same time :p

thread will probably need a bump by that time
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement