return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Chicago, Detroit & N. Central USA

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
question regarding the ease of living in Chicago without a car
View this Thread in Original format
lücid
title pretty much sums it up... i'm just curious how many of you Chicagoans live/work in the city and survive without a car. i mean i assume it's doable as long as your home and work are connected easily via public transportation, but for everything else - getting groceries, shopping for bigger items, taking a cat/dog to a vet, etc - is it a pain in the ass or do you just have to make sure that you live somewhere where all of that stuff is convenient?
inconspicuous
just live near that stuff and you're alright. I used to use one to leave the city for golf, go to restaurants, pick people up from the train, & not a whole lot else. cabs are everywhere if you really need a car, anyway. still cheaper than parking.
DjRow
i live and work at the same building :clown:
and downtown is 15min with the grand ave bus! CTA FTW! :thepirate
tolgar
I specifically sold my car and moved to Chicago so I wouldn't have to drive anymore. The public trans system is excellent... even living in Evanston. Sometimes going westward can be difficult but that's what friends are for.:)
Blake_Jarrell
ben and nikos do just fine because im apparently their chauffer
17thfloorplumbe
yea thats the part being left out.... "its ok to not have a car in the city... as long as your friends do..."
17thfloorplumbe
cab fares...yea right.... and CTA delays ...HA!

paying for parking is not nearly as expensive as parking tickets though =p
jonze
quote:
Originally posted by 17thfloorplumbe

don't forget about getting towed and having to down to the dungeon to get your car out of the impound lot.
inconspicuous
quote:

true.

also, it depends on where you are, I guess. I never lived more than about 10 blocks from the middle of michigan ave., so yes--cab fares around there were less than parking, when it was necessary. add in about $300-500 a month for a regular parking spot in that same area, insurance, a bit of gas, and the cost of the actual car, and you're saving a hell of a lot. actually, when we were living by northwestern station, my dad used to take the water taxi to & from work during the summer, for fun.
tolgar
quote:

CTA delays on the train are few and very far between...but I suppose it depends on what line you ride. Mine's no later than 4 or 5 minutes... if anything..the stupid train comes about 5 minutes early and I end up waiting for the next one.

lücid
quote:
Originally posted by tolgar
I specifically sold my car and moved to Chicago so I wouldn't have to drive anymore.

this is the boat i'm in right now. i love my current job but it's in bumble- suburbs outside Milwaukee, and i'm just dying to get rid of my daily commute (45 miles round trip) and move somewhere that has good public transportation. i've relied on a car to get me through life ever since i turned 16, but now it's just feeling like more of a hassle than it's worth... so i was curious to hear from others what life without a car is like.
denys envy
quote:
Originally posted by lücid
this is the boat i'm in right now. i love my current job but it's in bumble- suburbs outside Milwaukee, and i'm just dying to get rid of my daily commute (45 miles round trip) and move somewhere that has good public transportation. i've relied on a car to get me through life ever since i turned 16, but now it's just feeling like more of a hassle than it's worth... so i was curious to hear from others what life without a car is like.

dude it takes me 45 mins to get to work in the morning... and i live 15 miles away.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement