return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Do animals have feelings?
View this Thread in Original format
The17sss
People argue all the time that their pets "love" them, and I think they equate that level of love with the way a human can, which I think is absurd considering the complexity of the human brain. They get all super defensive too if you argue otherwise (mostly girls it seems). But what's the truth? Is it a matter of just providing them with food/shelter/affection doing the trick?

My friend was telling me, "Animals experience jealousy, anger, happiness, guilt, etc..." which seems true to a degree of course. But how much of that is pure instinctual behavior based on environmental stimuli around them, and how deep does their "emotional" capacity go?
Adam420
No, animals' attachment to their owner is purely due to the fact that they recognize that person as their provider. How loyal a pet is depends on how well the owner raises the animal and how he/she asserts themselves in front o it.
Rigon
I have a dog, two cats, and a fantastic mice...it's easy to see, that at least the cats and the dogs are able to express their love and feelings for me and eachother...the question is, are we able to do so?

I think the whole brain complexity thing is a big faux...just because we are bright, doesn't mean we are the only ones able to share some love...
SYSTEM-J
Emotions are the enemy of intellect. Animal emotions are probably more genuine than ours, because they don't spend so much time thinking about them.
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
But how much of that is pure instinctual behavior based on environmental stimuli around them, and how deep does their "emotional" capacity go?

how would you argue that human behaviour is any different?
Rigon
quote:
But how much of that is pure instinctual behavior based on environmental stimuli around them, and how deep does their "emotional" capacity go?

I wonder when you say environmental stimuli...isn't that the whole base of human thinking also?
pkcRAISTLIN
is there an idiot echo in here?
Rigon
hahaha...sorry. I guess I just skipped your reply completely. Must be my environmental adaptation degenerating my brain to animal level...
Nrg2Nfinit
how is your fantastic mice doing?
Rigon
Hey my mice is clever dude. I try to train them to go across an ever evolving agility track. They're learning quick as hell every time I extend the track! My mice for president!

No seriously...I mean a MOUSE! I guess I had a littlebit to much to drink for my english to work perfectly tonight"

Slylee
my dog is one of the coolest in town and he is very well behaved, loyal and chill. everyone loves him and wants to take him home. he's happy/hyper at the right moments but always listens immediately when i tell him "no" or "go to your bed".

and he lets me dress him up for pictures:o

Krypton
quote:
People argue all the time that their pets "love" them, and I think they equate that level of love with the way a human can, which I think is absurd considering the complexity of the human brain. They get all super defensive too if you argue otherwise (mostly girls it seems). But what's the truth? Is it a matter of just providing them with food/shelter/affection doing the trick?

It's a matter of the family group and parental nurture. If a dog, which is a pack animal has unlimited food from it's "pack leader", the dog essentially never has to grow up, and thus, never does. So you have a domesticated dog. Cats are also like that, but to a much lesser degree as a pack animal, and moreso as parental nurture, which cats always remember from the time when their mother gave them lots of attention. Petting the cat seems to make the cat feel the same way it felt as a kitten, when it's mother nurtured it.

quote:
My friend was telling me, "Animals experience jealousy, anger, happiness, guilt, etc..." which seems true to a degree of course. But how much of that is pure instinctual behavior based on environmental stimuli around them, and how deep does their "emotional" capacity go?

Our emotions are no different in instinct than any other species. We simply have developed a meaning for everything, particularly emotion, which no other species has done. They simply react. We react, but, our reactions have meaning.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement