return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Euthanasia
View this Thread in Original format
Theresa
Do you think it should be available or not? Why?

(Not for school... just wondering).
igottaknow
prescription or over the counter?
Lira
Yes, I see no problem. If the patient is in an irreversible state, why make the person go through even more pain?
Theresa
quote:
Originally posted by igottaknow
prescription or over the counter?

Only administered by doctors directly to patient. Can't have lethal drugs hanging about... that's just asking for trouble.
Moongoose
quote:
Originally posted by Lira
Yes, I see no problem. If the patient is in an irreversible state, why make the person go through even more pain?

That.
Theresa
For those of you who think that it should be available, what do you think it the main reason that it isn't?

I would imagine it comes down to legalities, fear of being sued etc., etc. I would think that there has to be some way to avoid these complications (have the dying person sign a waiver?)

What baffles me is that it is considered "cruelty" to leave a dying animal to suffer, and so we "put them down", but leaving a human to die a slow terrible death is ok? This seems so incredibly illogical to me.

If a person is going to die and we know this without a shadow of doubt, I don't understand why we would stand idly by and watch them go through a prolonged, agonizing death when it isn't necessary. We should be able to put them out of their misery, give them a peaceful death and allow them to retain some dignity.

"Letting" them die, in my opinion, is harder for everyone involved. The person dying, the family who has to witness the horrible death and constantly anticipating the inevitable... it just doesn't make sense to me that we don't routinely offer this!

Personally, if I was on the brink of death, I would deliberately OD on pain killers or something.
bananas
quote:
Originally posted by Lira
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa
For those of you who think that it should be available, what do you think it the main reason that it isn't?

In one word, "culture". Even if we all became atheists overnight, our religious background would be an obstacle, I believe, reason why I didn't just say "religion". Apparently, suicide is still a taboo where we live, despite the reasons behind it.
Moongoose
When you have dogma telling you that every life is sacred and that suffering is good since the more of it you do in this world the better of you will be in the next and you have a large proportion of the population that still buys into that nonsense its kind of hard to bring reason into the discussion without suffering serious backlash. Point out that its considered merciful to end the suffering of an animal but somehow completely wrong to offer the same mercy to another human when he is in a similar predicament and people will barrage you with examples of how the two for some inane reason cannot be compared.
KilldaDJ
it why not, if people want to die, its their choice is it not?

Moongoose
People will argue that the only one who has the right to decide who lives or dies is god. And trying to argue reason with those people is like arguing with a brick wall, no matter what you say or scream at it it wont change its position.
Theresa
Ok fine. I understand that there are some people who would rather let "God" do the work instead of intervening (although arguably, everything you do in life in this day and age is likely 'intervening' with Gods way, but whatever).

So why can't we allow doctors who are ok with euthanasia to perform it on people who request it?

I think at the very least, the option should be available to those who want it. If you don't want it, you don't have to get it. Surely there are some (or probably a lot) of logical doctors who wouldn't have any qualms with it.

I watched my grandfather die of cancer. He suffered terribly in his last days; was vomiting blood, became incoherent, unable to eat, then later was unable to speak or hear anyone, and his breathing became more and more laboured. Eventually, he drown in his own blood and honestly, witnessing that has scarred me for life. The immense suffering he endured was awful, and there was no quality in the last few days of his life. There was no need whatsoever to allow this to happen. He could have had a nice death where he just drifted off to sleep and the family could have said their goodbyes when he was at least able to still communicate.

It seems fundamentally wrong to me to allow this to happen when we have the capability of just ending it in a painless, quick and easy way.

Bah... it gets me so fired up. I just want to yell at whoever has decided that euthanasia isn't permissible - clearly they are an idiot.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Privacy Statement