return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Coming out atheist..
View this Thread in Original format
Capitalizt
This isn't me, but I thought it was lulzworthy the way the mom brings up Santa as a punishment.. It is such an appropriate representation of Christianity's "carrot and stick".. Be a good Christian and the good Santa in heaven will give you presents. Otherwise the bad Santa downstairs will come kick your ass. :stongue:

Theresa
quote:
Originally posted by Capitalizt
This isn't me, but I thought it was lulzworthy the way the mom brings up Santa as a punishment.. It is such an appropriate representation of Christianity's "carrot and stick".. Be a good Christian and the good Santa in heaven will give you presents. Otherwise the bad Santa downstairs will come kick your ass. :stongue:

I couldn't help but laugh at this. NO CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!!

This is one of the biggest reasons I never "came out" as an agnostic to my family. They know now just because it has become obvious (I live with my boyfriend outside of marriage... I refuse to go to church etc.) I knew if I told them up front, I would get the third degree.

To be fair though, many religious people believe that if you aren't religious like them, you will suffer. I recognize that my mother's nagging for me to "walk with the lord" is her attempt to save me from hell or whatever. It isn't malicious.
Capitalizt
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa To be fair though, many religious people believe that if you aren't religious like them, you will suffer. I recognize that my mother's nagging for me to "walk with the lord" is her attempt to save me from hell or whatever. It isn't malicious.

Of course not.. Most religious folks genuinely mean well.. They really are concerned that your soul will burn forever and ever if you don't tow the line. That's why the reaction is so extreme in some cases.. I don't think this kid handled it particularly well.. You shouldn't just say "NO, I don't buy that bull any more." to someone who believes it completely.. You just need to calmly explain that you've examined the issue and simply aren't convinced any of the religious claims are true.. Give some reasons and make clear that you are the same person you were before..and that you aren't doing this just to "rebel" or because you want to start eating babies and boiling kittens for fun. Even that may not prevent an angry outburst..but at least you'll give your parents something to think about later.
Sushipunk
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa
This is one of the biggest reasons I never "came out" as an agnostic to my family. They know now just because it has become obvious (I live with my boyfriend outside of marriage... I refuse to go to church etc.) I knew if I told them up front, I would get the third degree.

the third degree, just do it for the lulz.

My mum's a spiritual, new-age hippy-type, and I had a total blast when I was a teenager, ripping it all to shreds. It's highly cathartic.

I suppose I should note that I didn't do it out of malice, or something similar, only when I was told that my way of thinking was 'the wrong way'.

The spastic look they get on their faces when you ask for proof of something is hilarious.
bas
I'm glad that my parents are far too lazy to care about which religion (if any) I chose to follow. I'm pretty much breaking every rule known to the Islamic faith and my dad just lol's and my mom rolls her eyes. Pretty funny :stongue:
The17sss
holy at that video. :stongue:
Sushipunk
quote:
Originally posted by bas
I'm glad that my parents are far too lazy to care about which religion (if any) I chose to follow. I'm pretty much breaking every rule known to the Islamic faith and my dad just lol's and my mom rolls her eyes. Pretty funny :stongue:

That's cool though. Your parents just respect that you make your own choices.

I bet your mum is hot.
bas
lol MY MOTHER IS A SAINT :mad: :mad:
enydo
I'm glad that after me and my siblings grew up a bit our parents became incredibly apathetic about religion.
Sushipunk
quote:
Originally posted by bas
lol MY MOTHER IS A SAINT :mad: :mad:

A HOT SAINT.

I bet your dad rocks it too. That olive skin, that cheeky smile. Your love of disco is genetic, ISN'T IT BAS?

bas
Well yeah. You should see my parents' wedding pictures. It looked like a scene from Scarface. My dad had this super slim fit black tux with a fairly generous lapel, and (I think) my mom had a sort of crochet wedding dress. Disco ing wedding.
Lilith
I'm sure god will forgive bas for the loving of bacon and eating of heathen women, because he's a forgiving god and a loving god so he'll give you 72 virgins.
Because god also has a sense of humour, they'll all look like Nou
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement