return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
So I am a compulsive liar.
View this Thread in Original format
ivofivo
It works. I don't care about the indecency and lack of platitude, I am going to lie to you, at least twice.

Truth is yet too boring.

What is the moral factor, or should I say personal trait, which prevents us from lying.

Enlighten me, pwease.
Beats and Beeps
who gives a
phone your mom or dad about it.
Lira
Lying is usually a very laborious task because you have to memorise both what happened and what you said happened. And, on top of that, if you get caught lying, you end up being punished by the community in a way or another (even a weak ostracism counts as punishment here: there's no reason why people will keep associating with an individual they do not consider to be trustworthy).

So, why don't we praise liars? More often than not, because we need one another for cooperation, and it's hard to work with someone you can't trust. We're social animals after all.
igottaknow
quote:
Originally posted by Lira
Lying is usually a very laborious task because you have to memorise both what happened and what you said happened. And, on top of that, if you get caught lying, you end up being punished by the community in a way or another (even a weak ostracism counts as punishment here: there's no reason why people will keep associating with an individual they do not consider to be trustworthy).

So, why don't we praise liars? More often than not, because we need one another for cooperation, and it's hard to work with someone you can't trust. We're social animals after all.

How do politicians figure into your equation? :p

Btw, I think I have nose cancer. I keep removing these soft yellow tumors but they keep coming back.
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by igottaknow
How do politicians figure into your equation? :p

Well, what happens when they're caught? Even Bill Clinton, an otherwise good president, had his reputation tarnished a bit after he lied about Monica Lebovski, Monica Lewinsky, or whatever her name was :p
SYSTEM-J
People will figure out that you are lying. Everyone knows a compulsive liar, and nobody trusts that person. When that happens, nobody will value anything you have to say.

Of course, nobody values what you say as it is, because you're a clown.
Esiotrat
I think in small terms (ie: in relationships) lying is a bad idea.. If you need to lie, then you did something wrong, or there is a flaw in the relationship that is being ignored. Lying won't make it better.

In certain situations (mainly hypothetical, at least for the majority) lying is necessary and not wrong - and here is a stupid example: If your best friend asks you if she looks fat in this beautiful new dress that she paid half a month's salary for and she does, but only a bit.. I'll go for the kind answer every time unless she looked so awful I couldn't, in all charity, let her out in public like that.

I think Plato is one of the smartest men that ever lived. He said it's ok to lie if it truly benefits the cause of the people. called it the noble lie.
Meat187
You're lying about being a compulsive liar, aren't you?
igottaknow
Let sleeping dogs lie.
ChemEnhanced
quote:
Originally posted by ivofivo
It works. I don't care about the indecency and lack of platitude, I am going to lie to you, at least twice.

Truth is yet too boring.

What is the moral factor, or should I say personal trait, which prevents us from lying.

Enlighten me, pwease.

I don't believe you

Lira

quote:
Originally posted by Esiotrat
I think Plato is one of the smartest men that ever lived. He said it's ok to lie if it truly benefits the cause of the people. called it the noble lie.

It's funny because he did suck :stongue:

Actually, I'm not really kind to Plato overall, but I'm hard-pressed to find a counter-argument in this case. The best I can come up with is: "Do you really think your listener cannot cope with the message you want to convey? If so, why?". It's a shame I'm short of time right now, but I reckon you should always treat your interlocutor as a rational being (albeit fallible) who needs the information (s)he asked you. Would I tell my friend she looks fat in that dress? Well, I'd probably try to dodge the question directly and look for a solution in order to solve her problem without being rude.

Usually works :D
Renzo
ing Russians.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement