return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter challenge a supercomputer to Jeopardy
View this Thread in Original format
ziptnf
This is simply unbelievable. IBM developed a super computer that would use the internet and key search terms to answer Jeopardy questions rapidly. Observe as the teaser shows the computer beating both Jeopardy giants in the first 3 categories. Check this out.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/13/...jeopardy-pract/
EddieZilker
That's sick.
LAdazeNYnights
thanks for the link, I was reading about it earlier today.
one thing that struck me in the video is that the type of question must be very important - certain types of questions give an obvious advantage to watson, while other types are easier for humans. For instance, when they asked "This 52nd mayor..." Watson instantly knew the answer while a human would normally answer such a question using other clues.
ziptnf
quote:
Originally posted by LAdazeNYnights
thanks for the link, I was reading about it earlier today.
one thing that struck me in the video is that the type of question must be very important - certain types of questions give an obvious advantage to watson, while other types are easier for humans. For instance, when they asked "This 52nd mayor..." Watson instantly knew the answer while a human would normally answer such a question using other clues.

That's why I wonder how Watson would do in Final Jeopardy, where there's a very obscure clue with rather ambiguous connotation to the answer.
ModernNosferatu
It's great computer advancement is happening but IBM cheated Kasparov in their second battle and IBM stocks soared. They will do the same with the final Jeopardy question if not on the first try the second. It's business.
Nrg2Nfinit
quote:
Originally posted by ModernNosferatu
It's great computer advancement is happening but IBM cheated Kasparov in their second battle and IBM stocks soared. They will do the same with the final Jeopardy question if not on the first try the second. It's business.

please elaborate.
MeLLyMeL
that's crazy
woscar
Holy !
ModernNosferatu
quote:
Originally posted by Nrg2Nfinit
please elaborate.

Rent or buy this DVD Game Over: Kasparov And The Machine

you might be able to find good information on a Goggle search but the Documentry is awesome.

Kasparov faced an IBM computer in a first match and slaughter it, he has some equation in his head about a computer (atleast the computers back then) that they made fatal errors. So IBM built another super computer called Deep Blue. And the rules were that the IBM team and the IBM computer could analize everyone of Kasparovs games on record but Kasparov could not even see one game on how this new advanced IBM super computer, that only played Chess, would respond to certain postional positions.

The IBM computer didn't cheat all the way through but on Game 2 the computer took a long time to make a move and it made a move that was calculated by a Human because a computer(back then) would always take pawn sacfrices because it felt it was gaining pieces but the computer made a completely different move than it did in all of the other games thus putting everyone into a frenzy after Game 2 because all the Grand Masters and Chess pros that were watching it saw how near the end of the Game 2 was a Human move. Gary and his managment wanted to see the big computer but it was guarded by IBM guards and he was not allowed to see the computer log sheet to see how it made a human type move than a computer type move. I can't stress enough that the IBM Super Chess Computers back then were not as good at they are today. I haven't seen the film in a long time so some of my information might be slightly off but luckily I found the whole film on youtube. So here is part 1 and then just follow on to part 2...i think there is 9 parts to the film.

Nrg2Nfinit
intrestnig documentary.. or is kasparov just a sore loser?

If there was human interference though , i definatley agree its cheeting.

LAdazeNYnights
yeah i watched that also- it's strange i'm almost certain i had seen it a while back, but don't remember most of the last few parts...
while the documentary obviously paints IBM as the big bad wolf, it's difficult not to think of kasparov is whining about it--but if what they're saying is true, then it's understandable. IBM should have been more forth-coming about the whole thing. What reason did they really have not to give him the log files? I don't know much about computer programming, but I doubt that he could have used those print outs to unlock some sort of kryptonite.....
the machine computed by brute force, so at best you would think garry could have noticed "well in this situation, it computed most strongly in these lines while computing less deeply into those lines..."
ModernNosferatu
No, he is definitely a soar looser, he always has been. But did you see him give the analysis on Game 2 and how all the Grand Masters of Chess that were there to watch laughed, boo 'ed and applauded what he said about the computer playing style of Game 1 being different than it's Game 2 playing style. The rest of the games you have to consider with any Human that they will be stressed, drained, emotional but a computer just plugs away. But he did beat IBM's first Chess computer.

Game 2 had a Grand Master make a move instead of the computer making the move as computers back then always took pawn sacrifices thinking it was a gain of material, that is why he used to smash so many computer Chess programs in the past. You also have to factor in if there was NO cheating then why did IBM deny him the game logs that the computer made to show how it came up with the idea that taking his one or two pawn sacrifice was not beneficial for the IBM Deep Blue computer to make.

If I was IBM I would not want this stigma of the match and give all access to all the computers log sheets and how it figured positional advantage on any give situation.

Now days Chess programs are a lot harder and not easy for him or anyone to beat, but IBM never gave him a rematch. He one a match against their older Chess computer in 1997 or 1996 then the Deep Blue came along..controversy arose but IBM denied him a 3rd Match with the same Deep Blue computer or another new IBM Chess computer. That was also odd to me.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Privacy Statement