return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
What women really want: to marry a rich man
View this Thread in Original format
Vector A
quote:
The idea that women dislike being financially dependent on men is a myth, with more choosing to “marry up” now than did so in the 1940s, according to Dr Catherine Hakim from the London School of Economics.

After decades of gender equality campaigning many women now find it hard to admit that they want to be a housewife more than they want a successful career of their own, she said.

The study comes after the Coalition announced a series of measures intended to narrow the pay gap between men and women.

Lynne Featherstone, the Liberal Democrat equalities minister, said large companies could be forced to declare how much more they pay men and announced that firms would be able to use “positive action” to recruit new staff from under-represented groups for the first time.
However, Dr Hakim criticised David Cameron for backing the idea of quotas to ensure that more women gain seats on the boards of leading companies. Men dominate top positions because many women simply do not want long careers in business, she said.

Despite 40 years of reforms to promote gender equality at work, a woman’s financial dependence on a man “has lost none of its attractions”, she said.

In a 52-page report published by the Centre for Policy Studies think tank, Dr Hakim continued: “Women’s aspiration to marry up, if they can, to a man who is better-educated and higher-earning, persists in most European countries.

“Women thereby continue to use marriage as an alternative or supplement to their employment careers.”

Dr Hakim’s research drew on an extensive review of existing studies from around the world, census data, and national surveys conducted in Britain and Spain.

More here
Chimney
Zyklon_Jay
i think we would all like to be "housewives" if we could.
Halcyon+On+On
wienerschnitzel
Oh you KNOW that I was going to be all over this.. lol. I have always wanted to be a housewife, and I enjoy being one, but I feel like I should add it is a lot of work to be a GOOD one. Anyone can sit on their ass all day wearing sweatpants and watch ty soap operas. I take care of my 2 kids which is a lot of work in itself, but also spend hours everyday cleaning the house, cooking, doing laundry ect. I do all of it. Eli works long hours, so I take care of everything else, with the exception of hom BBQ'ing and giving our son his bath and putting him to bed. If eli's had a long day at work, I'll put out clean clothes and get a shower ready for when he gets home (he works in dirty plants most the time). No one does my job better then me, I couldn't pay someone to do it. And I don't take it for granted that eli makes enough to support our family while I stay at home. When the kids are older I do intend on going back to work.
srussell0018
inb4var
Zyklon_Jay
quote:
Originally posted by wienerschnitzel
Oh you KNOW that I was going to be all over this.. lol. I have always wanted to be a housewife, and I enjoy being one, but I feel like I should add it is a lot of work to be a GOOD one. Anyone can sit on their ass all day wearing sweatpants and watch ty soap operas. I take care of my 2 kids which is a lot of work in itself, but also spend hours everyday cleaning the house, cooking, doing laundry ect. I do all of it. Eli works long hours, so I take care of everything else, with the exception of hom BBQ'ing and giving our son his bath and putting him to bed. If eli's had a long day at work, I'll put out clean clothes and get a shower ready for when he gets home (he works in dirty plants most the time). No one does my job better then me, I couldn't pay someone to do it. And I don't take it for granted that eli makes enough to support our family while I stay at home. When the kids are older I do intend on going back to work.

that , i wanna be one of those big titted rich bitches from tv:mad:
Zharen
SYSTEM-J
I'm ed, then.
Zyklon_Jay
not at all. who the gets married anymore?

SYSTEM-J
Gold diggers, clearly.

Also, I never get why that girl gets mocked for claiming to be attacked by ants from a flower. Ants are frequently found on flowers, and plenty of ants can bite or sting a human. Does that really deserve being associated with a guy dressed as Skeletor?
Zyklon_Jay
she's black, jack.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement