return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
The documentary discussion thread....
View this Thread in Original format
Jarvmeister
Following on from Movie and TV threads, I am due to watch a few tonight, but the one I'll recommend now, purely for it's sheer WTF factor, is General Butt Naked vs The Tupac Army: http://www.vice.com/read/gen-v10n7

Apparently loads of the Vice stuff is good, but this one just made my jaw hit the floor when I realised that this still goes on. Look around and there are a few sites that stream it.

On the watch list tonight is: The Interrupters and Into The Abyss.
Silky Johnson
I watched Into the Abyss. It was good. The one guy is totally a ing psychopath. No remorse, he doesn't even believe he did anything.
Vivid Boy
tribe called quest documentary. diabetes tore em apart
Jarvmeister
quote:
Originally posted by Vivid Boy
tribe called quest documentary. diabetes tore em apart

Thanks for the reminder, been meaning to watch that.....
Moongoose
Time for me to unleash the science geek within me, and share some sciency documentaries that i enjoyed.

- Wonders of the Solar system series (Hosted by Brian Cox)
- Wonders of the Universe series (Hosted by Brian Cox)
- Chemistry: A Volatiles History (Hosted by Jim Al Khalili)
- Shock and Awe: The Story of Electricity (Hosted by Jim Al Khalili)

These are off the top off my head and one of the ones that i enjoyed the most (I'll leave out the obvious science documentary series, meaning Carl Sagans Cosmos).

Then the ones from BBCs Horizon series are usualy worth a watch, and cover a broad range of topics.
LAdazeNYnights
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Pie
I watched Into the Abyss. It was good. The one guy is totally a ing psychopath. No remorse, he doesn't even believe he did anything.

Yeah! Herzog makes the best docus... His other recent one, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, was also good -- and 2007's Encounters at the End of the World was even better than both of them imo.

As for doc's that I would reallly recommend:
-The Corporation
-Century of Self [and the 2 other Adam Curtis BBC docus]
-Jiro Dreams of Sushi [recent]
Acton
quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
Time for me to unleash the science geek within me, and share some sciency documentaries that i enjoyed.

- Wonders of the Solar system series (Hosted by Brian Cox)
- Wonders of the Universe series (Hosted by Brian Cox)
- Chemistry: A Volatiles History (Hosted by Jim Al Khalili)
- Shock and Awe: The Story of Electricity (Hosted by Jim Al Khalili)

Great list ;) Jim and Brian are great.

I love Horizon too, there is always an interesting topic being covered. I pretty much watch every documentary that the BBC airs (thank God for BBC iPlayer) and I can't say I've ever seen a bad one.

A couple of others...

Human Planet (narrated by John Hurt)
How Earth Made Us (hosted by Iain Stewart)

Oh, Brian is also working on another documentary 'Wonders of Life' :D .... I think he finished a couple of months ago, actually.
paulversuspaul
I really love these movie threads. My pick for the greatest documentary ever made is Night and Fog by Alain Resnais. Only a half hour long, and shot in 1955, this is the greatest piece of cinema ever made about the concentration camps and the holocaust. Rather than trying to create a semblance of metaphysical or rational explanation for the horrors of auschwitz, Resnais simply uses the two greatest weapons at his disposal-mis en scene and montage-to gut wrenching emotional and haunting effects. The film is composed of stock footage of the camps along with elegantly composed and beautiful tracking shots and pans of the same camps in 1955 with a script and narration written by holocaust survivor Jean Cayrol. The net effect, is simply a poetic questioning and remembrance of the horrors of nazism, the complicity and guilt of all who allowed this to occur, and yet a profound humanist statement about the nature of life moving on, as seen through the beautiful plants, shrouds, and flowers that have overcome the horrors of these camps and now spread their life over them. Schindlers List, The Piano, and every other hollywood movie about Nazis or the holocaust is nothing more than the equivalent of a child's attempt at quantum equations by comparison. François Truffaut once called it the greatest film ever made, who am I to disagree.

Acton
quote:
Originally posted by paulversuspaul
My pick for the greatest documentary ever made is Night and Fog by Alain Resnais

Can't say I've seen that one, I must put it on my to watch list.

If we're talking 'greatest documentary ever made' then my votes have to go for....

1) The Blue Planet
2) Planet Earth

Simply amazing documentaries. The Blue Planet may look slightly out dated now, but there was nothing like it when it first aired. As for Planet Earth (I'm assuming most people have seen this), it was beautifully shot and provided jaw-dropping moments that nobody had seen before, it's still one of my favourite blu-ray purchases.
Lira
The Grammar of Happiness

It's an interesting doco. Well, it should be. I haven't had the chance to watch it, but I was told I'm in it. Which makes it interesting for me, because I can now brag I've been on American television for a quarter of a second. That's right, even if someone blinked the moment I appeared, this person still saw me for a fifth of a second, accounting for my 15 milliseconds of fame.

Acton
quote:
Originally posted by Lira
The Grammar of Happiness

It's an interesting doco. Well, it should be. I haven't had the chance to watch it, but I was told I'm in it. Which makes it interesting for me, because I can now brag I've been on American television for a quarter of a second. That's right, even if someone blinked the moment I appeared, this person still saw me for a fifth of a second, accounting for my 15 milliseconds of fame.

In the clip you posted, or in one of the full episodes?

More details, Marcus! :p
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by Acton
In the clip you posted, or in one of the full episodes?

More details, Marcus! :p

No, not in this clip. It's a full-length film, and I was told there are a few shots of me when the main presenter comes to Brasília to talk about his ideas. I'm really curious because I don't even know what I was wearing, and for how long I've been on camera... and whether I needed some more deodorant after rushing to attend his talk :(
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement