return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Roll Call : Papa Sven @ Stereo (pg. 4)
View this Thread in Original format
AnonAnon
It was an interesting night at Stereo.

I arrived quite early since I expected there to be a long lineup like for Hawtin or similar, but there was almost no one there. This meant I got to finally see the most of an opening act at Stereo. Overall, the first few hours were not at all to my taste. The opener played songs a couple songs with 'soft' lyrics that seemed very odd for a sven vath opening. I assume the opener was playing more for the gay crowd... or just didn't care what he played for the first few hours. Anyways, the last hour was a bit better, but overall nothing special.

Sven came on and was quite relaxed it seemed. He displayed none of the stereotypical arm waving, and shirtless dancing. Understandable, since he played a gig the previous night and has aged a little bit. The first few songs were great. If I recall correctly, the first track was kind of acidy, but not the dark kind. Definitely a breath of fresh air after having endured the previous hours of music. After getting into the groove and getting the dance floor packed, Sven started having problems with the turntables. It started out with a few skips and then the next record skipped so much that he had to fade one track in as the other ended/he faded out. I really don't get how such a 'world class' club can mess up the turntables for someone that is famously known for only playing records.. c'mon... Anyways, Sven stood at the back of the booth as the opener went back on. He definitely played better, or at least less flowery tracks. It was still a major buzz kill seeing Sven stand behind the opener during the peak hours of the club. After some technical adjustments Sven was finally back on.

After that, he seemed kind of meh. Not too enthusiastic and probably not too impressed with the whole ordeal.

For those that commented that he played techno, I would say it leaned more on the tech-house side. There were definitely techno tracks mixed in, but it wasn't like a Marcel Dettmann or Ben Klock set. Lots of the tracks were also kind of old (3-4 months), but I guess that's the nature of vinyl, so that's fine.

Overall a pretty good night. Disappointed about the turntables not working, but I guess it was just a small hiccup of the night.

To the curious, it was definitely not worth the over priced tickets. For the same experience, I would've paid around $30-45.
Marcus007
Sven booking fee must have been at least 40k. That's a lot of dough compared to the 35$ per ticket Djs who usually receive much less than that.

The turntables were skipping, it wasnt Sven's fault, it was the bass in the booth. Stereo always has problems with DJs play with vinyls, there's an infamous case of Marco Carola who had a nightmare doing vinyl at Stereo. But, like professionals, they fixed it and we had a solid 6 hours of Sven.

I'm sure he wasn't too impressed about that but happens and they aren't really a vinyl club. It worried me quite a lot because I had fears maybe he wouldn't come back on but thankfully he returned.
AnonAnon
That was definitely my biggest fear. I assumed he was really pissed and just decided to stop for the night. Luckily, he went back on.

Also, I don't get why openers at afterhours feel they need to play the way they do. It's an after hours club... It's already late in the night and I've showed up to dance, not casually drink at the bar. Why are they always so boring. Play some interesting tracks for the people that were dedicated to show up early, instead of playing fillers and assuming no one cares for the first half of the night.
corjay9
quote:
Originally posted by AnonAnon
That was definitely my biggest fear. I assumed he was really pissed and just decided to stop for the night. Luckily, he went back on.

Also, I don't get why openers at afterhours feel they need to play the way they do. It's an after hours club... It's already late in the night and I've showed up to dance, not casually drink at the bar. Why are they always so boring. Play some interesting tracks for the people that were dedicated to show up early, instead of playing fillers and assuming no one cares for the first half of the night.

Its called warming up the room. Headliners like to start off long sets by building them up.. there's no building of anything if the opener is playing bombs.. it totally kills the vibe of the club when the headliner comes on and brings down the energy when the room is packed. Ostrich is one of the better residents in the city with tonnes of opening gigs and he runs the club's bookings. He knows what he's doing.
oldskool94
Arrived early (230ish) and thought Ostrich did an excellent job warming things up with deep house sounds. The point is to not upstage the main act. I felt Sven spun an incredibly tight, energetic, varied all-things-techno set, with masterfully incorporated melodies and intermittent dark-as-death bass drops and breaks. To me, he showed he was a legend that has withstood the test of time, spanning a few decades. He was sitting on my shoulder when a few of us lifted him off the ground for quite a while - he's such a class act and unpretentious. It was magic. Stayed until last track, showered, ate, chilled and then hit the first Piknic. Ridiculous line-ups everywhere. We jumped the queue to save 3 hours (I feel bad) and checked out Ostrich ripping things up proper with chuggy house at the second stage. Soul Clap / Wolf & Lamb was a complete snooze fest at the main stage. We decided to return on the Monday for Agoria at mainstage (I had fond memories of him at WMC rooftop party). Wow - could not stop dancing the whole time. Exquisite progressive house and much more room to dance. Pardonnez le sidetrack.
trancezilla
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus007
Sven booking fee must have been at least 40k. That's a lot of dough compared to the 35$ per ticket Djs who usually receive much less than that.

The turntables were skipping, it wasnt Sven's fault, it was the bass in the booth. Stereo always has problems with DJs play with vinyls, there's an infamous case of Marco Carola who had a nightmare doing vinyl at Stereo. But, like professionals, they fixed it and we had a solid 6 hours of Sven.

I'm sure he wasn't too impressed about that but happens and they aren't really a vinyl club. It worried me quite a lot because I had fears maybe he wouldn't come back on but thankfully he returned.

the bass/turntable problem would explain the issues during cassy's set 2 january's ago. such a shame theres been no solid work around for a recurring issue. hoepefully this will be sorted out ahead of time for burridge in 2 weeks.

one plus of the $65 admission fee is it kept the casual club goer away and kept it to just the people that wanted to be there. crowd was perfect for the night. just the right amount of people, no sketch, no aggressives. great ratio. very enjoyable.

was there at 5:30am till the end @ 11:40. seeing them sort out turntable issues made me really happy i did not get there early. as someone else as said before - being there at the beginning of the night and finally having sven come on only to have him stand around for an hour to sort out sound issues is very deflating.

music was solid all night. really enjoyed his blend of hard techno with trippy sounds. was expecting this to go much later than it did. hopefully next time.
Marcus007
All these people on TA who were at Sven with me and we didnt do an old school TA meet up. For SHAME!

You summed it up wonderfully when you said this, " I felt Sven spun an incredibly tight, energetic, varied all-things-techno set, with masterfully incorporated melodies and intermittent dark-as-death bass drops and breaks. To me, he showed he was a legend that has withstood the test of time, spanning a few decades."

Bang on!

So... um.... Papa Sven was on your shoulders... dude wtf, I am the HUGEST SVEN VATH FAN IN MONTREAL, and I missed him coming out into the crowd and shaking hands by 5 minutes. And you get to hoist him on your shoulders.... :((((

Clearly I'm a fail of a human being and need to re-assess my Sven fanatacism.
ghost of taha
i can't believe Marcus didn't say yet "SVENNNNNNNNNNNN :gsmile:"
Marcus007
PAPA SVEEENNNNN

SWIRL! :gsmile: :gsmile: :gsmile: :gsmile:
Dykes_on_Jay
Did you cup his nuts?

I have that clockwork orange poster wall sized(like full wallpaper.) Want?

Marcus007
u mean the one that's hanging to my left right now in my office?

lol
Dykes_on_Jay
I never wanted to get rid of it. Now I'm gonna pop that up on the wall of the baby room.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Privacy Statement