return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
"Music is the Drug" - I call B.S.
View this Thread in Original format
MisterOpus1
I never understood anyone who wears this statement on their sleeve as if they are a clean-cut kid in a not so clean-cut environment.

"Man, the music is all the drugs I need, man!"

Well I guess for some people who claim this to me, I'm kinda glad they no longer use drugs. To be sure, their brains are slowly leaking out their ears from all the abuse in the past, and certainly abstaining from their drug of choice merely slows but doesn't halt the leakage. But for others, I'm sorry, but you really are being shortsighted here. Music and drugs have gone hand in hand for ages. It's the way things were before the modern dance scene, and it certainly will be the way for years to come. It's been this way for every music genre known. Rock, classical, jazz, pop, hell even some Christian musicians admitted as much. Choosing to ignore this reality does not in any way make it false.

I'd personally be lying to myself if I didn't admit that whenever I hear a good mix in my car, that I don't envision being all twisted in a club feeling high as a kite while dancing my ass off. To be blunt, anyone that has been twisted at least once most certainly has that nostalgic feeling. Even on those bad nights when things don't seem to be working right, you eventually look past it and remember those great roller coaster rides. That's sad. That's the addiction. Not to just the drugs, but to the music and drugs together. I don't say all this because I read a few of Sean Cusick's articles on the subject (from which he admits the same), I say it because it's bothersome. It's bothersome to love something so beautiful as that which I hear everyday to be connected to something that I wish I hadn't ever put into my body.

Of course, there are those exceptional few who still abstain. From me to you, congrats. Then of course you have those who claim they no longer do drugs, but just get completely blasted from alcohol now. These folks I think I love the most, at least their logic I love. I think I fell into this category this year myself, which is why I love this logic - it was my own, and it was quite illogical. Putting my wife's car accident 7 weeks ago aside, I can't remember a time on which I was so stupid in my life. I think that I have said and done smarter things when I was 7 and experimented with pyromania, which nearly resulted in burning my house down, than when I attempted to justify to myself that I could still go out and abstain from drugs by simply drinking more alcohol. You see that guy with the letters "dumbass" written across his forehead? Yeah, that was me.

So what's the moral of this idiotic story? F$ck if I know. I guess it's just my frustration from that wanker candykid dweeb last night I ran into that attempted so desperately to convince me that the music was all he needed. Our 10 minute conversation, if that's what you want to call it - it was mostly him talking a mile a minute trying to convince me otherwise, nearly ended with a harsh bitchslap on my part. But I held myself back and allowed the fool with the Powerpuff-all-pupil eyeballs and an itchy, runny nose to elaborate to me in his denial. Of course his bullet dropped onto the dancefloor as well, but I pretended not to notice with due courtesy as he slyly looked around, scooped it up, and ran out the back door. Perhaps he thought I was a narc or something. Perhaps I could have pointed out to him the people I knew there who were narcs, just to make him feel better. But I ignored him and left the bar after drinking a Bud Light and a club soda.

Simply put, I'm becoming more jaded than ever. I love the music, and that will never change. But the rest I could easily flush down the toilet without hesitation. Perhaps one day I will do myself and everyone else a favor and learn to dissociate the music from the drugs, but not now. It's like believin' Snoop Dog had stopped smokin' doob - It's impossible. Time will tell.

Damn I'm feeling bitter. I need more sleep.
Shudder
too lazy to read.... :(
butterfly
i have said that before. there have been times when i got like an ecstatic feeling from the music, having taken no drugs. it's rare, but at least it is real.
mmilo
hmMm indeed. interesting....story.

only from a select few songs though, i still attain a natural high. well, sort of. i kinda get drawn into the music and everything around just ceases to exist for a small moment...

and other times, ...
quote:

I'd personally be lying to myself if I didn't admit that whenever I hear a good mix in my car, that I don't envision being all twisted in a club feeling high as a kite while dancing my ass off.

again like alot of people have said....
we don't take the drugs to enjoy the music...
but to enhance our experience when listening/dancing to it ...
djSlain
there are tracks out there and fulfill people's longing for highs off endorphins and excitement. ah, so bliss with the Starecase remix of PVD's "Vega." Of course, there is always the choice of using drugs to "enhance" music, but it's better to pay $15 for a cotton swab to clean out the ears to understand the complexity of music, than $15 on a cocoa puff
anuneventrade
quote:
Music and drugs have gone hand in hand for ages.

true true, but that doesnt mean that you need the drugs to enhance the music.
when i listen to the music, i can feel as though im in another demension...
blazed it
quote:
Originally posted by djSlain
there are tracks out there and fulfill people's longing for highs off endorphins and excitement. ah, so bliss with the Starecase remix of PVD's "Vega." Of course, there is always the choice of using drugs to "enhance" music, but it's better to pay $15 for a cotton swab to clean out the ears to understand the complexity of music, than $15 on a cocoa puff

$15 for a q-tip? your getting ripped off man :toothless

and au contraire i believe that the cocoa puff would further enhance the music (i'm assuming you mean coke sprinkled on weed, or a joint with coke in it). I love trance music and i do not need drugs to enjoy it, however i do find that when i smoke weed, i hear certain nuances that i have no heard of in songs before. And afterwards i am still able to find these nuances in the songs. On the other hand if i had not smoked the weed and listened to the song, i'd still probably enjoy it but not as much as if i did smoke the weed.
kr00t0n
quote:
Originally posted by anuneventrade
true true, but that doesnt mean that you need the drugs to enhance the music.
when i listen to the music, i can feel as though im in another demension...

well that inst e3xactly enhancing it, its just how you perceive it, and it would be enhanced were you to be on drugs at the time, thats what they do
gwrmarines
quote:
Originally posted by Shudder

I know man i read the first two sentences and im like this:tongue3
Slylee
well it IS true that drugs and music have always gone hand in hand...but you just seem bitter that you can't be one of the few that actually appreciate music (or MAKE music for that matter) without the use of mind altering drugs. you might grow out of that one day:)

EliPsE
im one of those ppl. music is all i need. of course it has to be good music tho
N|te-L|fe
quote:
Originally posted by Shudder

LOL !!! Ditto :D
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement