return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Should I get a Bike ?
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Rat 187
I still haven't gotten a license, but it's pretty pointless because I don't have any money to buy a car, and even if I do buy a car I will have trouble with it, unless I buy it pretty damn new, my bro bought a car for 6,000 and he still has problems with it, a good Jetta but happens, and it needs maintenance. I mean, I have to get around, school, probably I'll need to get a job too. So I figured what if I get a motorcycle, not a sports bike or a chopper or anything like that, but just street legal dirt bike (there are kits that are pretty damn easy to make a bike street legal) it's pretty damn cheap and not a lot of expensive maintenance. My mom really thinks it's not too great of an idea, it's pretty dangerous. So what do you guys think? does anyone ride a bike? if so is there a waiting period for people under 18 in the U.S. (because there is a 6 month waiting period for a Class C license for people under 18). I imagine I would have to go to some place like a school teaching me how to ride and all. Has anyone of you gotten in a wreck, or what has your experience been with obtaining the license and riding experiences?
twisted420
yeah man its all about the bikes...ffs my mom even just got a honda 500cc for like 900 yesterday. it needs little work but its looks premo...man bikes are cheaper, your going to have alot more fun..the only downsides are: can bring more than one person with you, if that; you have a the smallest increasing chance of being hurt, ie car crash etc. but its SO worth it.

go for it:tongue2

damn for some reason im extremly ing happy..

who else is happy..?
:disbelief
wwu.punisher
Except for the fact that you can't really drive in the rain without risking serious injury.

And the fact that you can't really drive at night without risking serious injury.

And you can't carry anything with you, other than maybe a backpack.

And the insurance on them can be ridiculous.

The list goes on. Get a car, and get a bike later.
Orbax
yes
DJ Rat 187
quote:
Originally posted by wwu.punisher
Except for the fact that you can't really drive in the rain without risking serious injury.

And the fact that you can't really drive at night without risking serious injury.

And you can't carry anything with you, other than maybe a backpack.

And the insurance on them can be ridiculous.

The list goes on. Get a car, and get a bike later.

damn, that's a lot of , I guess I do have to consider that but I was looking at the bike thing as just a way to get around, sure discomfort but I don't know there are some crazy ass risks
fastmp3
sorry dude i think you should get a new nickname before getting a Bike :stongue:
Orbax
I have a motorcycle

If you are a person that is constantly aware, is responsible enough to realize that if you have a few beers, youre spending the night so ask if there is a spot for you to sleep. Can handle having to dodge people every time youre out and always being on guard, its cool. I ride in the commuter lanes or fast lane. Slow lane has tires from trucks and broke ass vehicles ride there.

You gotta be smart, gotta be quick, gotta be well prepped. In condition, equipment and bike. DOnt get a POS because thats all you can afford. Sport bikes are the safest out there. They can out corner and out break and accelerate very well.

I ride year round. In my area that means 9 months of rain getting around 80 inches a year. Plus snow and hills. I dont mind at all. I can carry X-boxes, DVD players, and full cases of beer in my backpack. The spider wrap on the back seat carries an extra jacket plus I have a little bag I can bungee around rear fender and carry a lot more.

Basically, if youre a dumbass, dont get a bike. If you dont want to spend at least 1000 dollars on safety gear dont buy the bike. You need supported leather boots, pants with armor, jacket with armor, gloves with armor, and a helmet.

Ive known people whove died on bikes, almost died on bikes, and seen people die on bikes.

They are dangerous because other people are stupid. Also it is tempting to blaze through traffic weaving at 90mph until some jerk decides that your action deserves death and swerves to block.

Stupid happens. Never go faster than you are prepared to fall at. Keep it maintained. It is NOT a cheap sport to be involved in.

This is my only mode of transport and I sport ride and grind hard parts. I love it and wouldnt trade for anything. I spend 40 dollars a month on insurance and ive gotten 4 tickets and rolled my car off a cliff due to bad weather, still an accident. I WAS paying 350 a month in insurance. So 600 for full liability, collision and theft aint bad. Go Progressive.

Find the right dealer. If you dont feel comfortable walk away. I dont care how bad you want a bike, someone else will have one. Walk away. Until they make you want to hang out with them, because thats what riding is all about. Its a club. and dont join into a club with a bunch of jerks.

erm more later as I gather thoughts and random messages inspire though.
Orbax
in regard to wet weather: not really an issue. They do Moto GP in the rain. Get an all weather tire and youre solid. Realize you cant corner hard. Dont be a dumbass.

Night time: people cant see you. Like they can in the daytime :rolleyes:
DJ Rat 187
quote:
Originally posted by Orbax
I have a motorcycle

If you are a person that is constantly aware, is responsible enough to realize that if you have a few beers, youre spending the night so ask if there is a spot for you to sleep. Can handle having to dodge people every time youre out and always being on guard, its cool. I ride in the commuter lanes or fast lane. Slow lane has tires from trucks and broke ass vehicles ride there.

You gotta be smart, gotta be quick, gotta be well prepped. In condition, equipment and bike. DOnt get a POS because thats all you can afford. Sport bikes are the safest out there. They can out corner and out break and accelerate very well.

I ride year round. In my area that means 9 months of rain getting around 80 inches a year. Plus snow and hills. I dont mind at all. I can carry X-boxes, DVD players, and full cases of beer in my backpack. The spider wrap on the back seat carries an extra jacket plus I have a little bag I can bungee around rear fender and carry a lot more.

Basically, if youre a dumbass, dont get a bike. If you dont want to spend at least 1000 dollars on safety gear dont buy the bike. You need supported leather boots, pants with armor, jacket with armor, gloves with armor, and a helmet.

Ive known people whove died on bikes, almost died on bikes, and seen people die on bikes.

They are dangerous because other people are stupid. Also it is tempting to blaze through traffic weaving at 90mph until some jerk decides that your action deserves death and swerves to block.

Stupid happens. Never go faster than you are prepared to fall at. Keep it maintained. It is NOT a cheap sport to be involved in.

This is my only mode of transport and I sport ride and grind hard parts. I love it and wouldnt trade for anything. I spend 40 dollars a month on insurance and ive gotten 4 tickets and rolled my car off a cliff due to bad weather, still an accident. I WAS paying 350 a month in insurance. So 600 for full liability, collision and theft aint bad. Go Progressive.

Find the right dealer. If you dont feel comfortable walk away. I dont care how bad you want a bike, someone else will have one. Walk away. Until they make you want to hang out with them, because thats what riding is all about. Its a club. and dont join into a club with a bunch of jerks.

erm more later as I gather thoughts and random messages inspire though.

thanks man, and what about if I don't really get on any kind of big roads/highways just get around town, is it still pretty dangerous? and what are some advantages/disadvantages of having something like a street legal dirt bike instead of a sports bike?
Orbax
Town is more dangerous. People dont see you stopped, they turn left in front of you. 80% of accidents are from dumbasses turning left in front of you. You just arent seen. On a freeway you have space to move, react, and everyone is goin in the same direction.

Unless your roads are absolute e, there wouldnt be an advantage to a dirtbike. If you had street tires it would be a nicer more comfortable ride, but I would still say go sport touring. They are made for the street, nothing else. Unless you plan on doing extensive off roading as well, I would say risk vs reward isnt worth the risk.

Its nice knowing that you can lay your bike sideways and drag a knee to dodge something if you have to. God knows Ive done it.

DJ Rat 187
quote:
Originally posted by Orbax
Town is more dangerous. People dont see you stopped, they turn left in front of you. 80% of accidents are from dumbasses turning left in front of you. You just arent seen. On a freeway you have space to move, react, and everyone is goin in the same direction.

Unless your roads are absolute e, there wouldnt be an advantage to a dirtbike. If you had street tires it would be a nicer more comfortable ride, but I would still say go sport touring. They are made for the street, nothing else. Unless you plan on doing extensive off roading as well, I would say risk vs reward isnt worth the risk.

Its nice knowing that you can lay your bike sideways and drag a knee to dodge something if you have to. God knows Ive done it.

ya, the crash part freaks me out :nervous: , say you were to slide across the concrete and you had the armored clothes on, what would happen, would it wrip off or wear down due to the friction or would it last or heat up or what?
oh and ya, i just figured dirt bikes are a lot cheaper, I mean there's a kid who gets to school on a moped (looks like a homo doing it at that) and he just wears a little open face helmet, if he falls off at a decent speed, he's ed, anyways I don't think I could afford a sport bike I figured a dirt bike might me a decent ride if I tried to play it safe and take it slow, take less crowded roads etc.
Orbax
well, if you are in leather it will slide eternally. ive seen a dude crash at 210 mph and be fine. Others have crashed at 15 and been paralyzed. The leather protects skin, the armor protects from impact by distribution and avoids penetration.

The danger is head trauma and spinal injuries. You can get spine cones that dont let you bend back and protect against whiplash.

People who ride cruisers are ed. They dont wear protective gear and they dont wear full helmets. They arent called brain buckets for no reason. Thats what they carry your brains away in while the rest of you is somewhere else. The first thing you hit when you fall is typically your ass, goodbye buttcheecks if youre wearing chaps.

Im a bit of an elitist when it comes to bikes, I guess. i have a friend whos been riding for 30 years on a cruiser, never even laid his bike down much less crashed.

Other friend been on a sport bike and crashed 7 times (5 on a track though).

I just like knowing that I can handle anything that comes my way within reason. I used to ride dirt bikes. They are a lot of fun. With street tires on youll be fine. Just dont be expecting to take it to the track or act like the motogp dudes. Youll still have fun pushing it to the limit, but get at least a 450 (which is min req for street if I remember right). Small bikes piss out on corners typically because their low end torque cant match with everything on the apex.

anywho. It comes down to knowing the limitiations of your bike, and abiding by them. Dont play bike racer on a dirt bike. Its a cheap, great way to get around, lots of people do it safely and have fun.

The key to everything is knowing limits. Thats my point. Be aware, test them out, feel when it starts to slip when you practice on an empty road. Gun it, brake hard. See what your bike does. Then use those and apply it to your street riding. If I hadnt i would have had some serious crashes already.

more later as thoughts occur :D
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement