return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
how much do djs get paid?
View this Thread in Original format
trancexguy
just wondering how much headliners get paid? and does the promoters pay for the airfare and hotel and stuff?
Marcus007
Yes. Airfare and hotel is covered by the promoters.

It depends the DJ and the venue as well as age restrictions and alcohol permits. It can range anywhere from a thousand dollars (keep dreaming you wont book Deep Dish for this) to a hundred thousand dollars.

Paul Oakenfold, for example, made 75 000 to play Celebration in Montreal and had his contract include a private jet to NYC to make another 75 000 at another club. What a life eh...
trancexguy
yea, i am sure tiesto/avb/ and them would get top notch $$, but like johan gielen, rank 1, etc...?
Clovis86
Be careful, you're not allowed to ask those questions on this forum!

ITS A SECRET!
DaveT
In the late 90s, 2000, maybe 2001 too, DJs could demand much more than now. Especially the likes of Oakenfold who was something around $50,000 for every two hours or something in certain cities on certain nights.

Not sure who is the highest paid DJ these days, but some of the stupendously expensive ones in the past few years include Tiesto, PvD, Oakenfold, Danny Tenaglia, and Mauro Picotto.

Not sure if I would say DJs like Armin, Ferry, Diggers, etc are stupid high because when they play in SF presales typically start at $15 and maybe got as high as $25 at the very end. And this is on weekend nights.

Not to say they aren't cheap. LA can get a night with both AvB & ATB because Circus can handle 4,000+ peeps in one night (3,300 capacity plus a good thousand between folks swinging in and out through the night) and can cover costs. No club in SF can handle nearly that much and would surely lose money.
DjWoody
The market, day of the week, and relationship with the promoter has a lot to do with it.

I'll give you an example with out throwing any names. I was going to book a big trance headliner DJ last year (a Top 100). The restrictions were that I couldn't book him in LA/Hollywood because of his relationship with other promoters. But, I can book him in OC for much cheaper. He wanted $2000 plus expenses to book him here. That isn't that much. If I booked him in San Diego or Mexico, he wanted $1500.

Other example. Tiesto tickets last month. In San Diego... $40. In Mexico $20. They were the same night too. Then the following day in LA, they were $55.

You can tell who's paying him more by the ticket prices.

:eyes:
Cool1g
i'd say Tiesto has to be the highest paid DJ right now.

if you take a look at his May 06 schedule where he averaged around 6 gigs per week, i'd assume he made WELL into the six figures income for that month.
DaveT
quote:
Originally posted by Cool1g
i'd say Tiesto has to be the highest paid DJ right now.

if you take a look at his May 06 schedule where he averaged around 6 gigs per week, i'd assume he made WELL into the six figures income for that month.

I imagine he made close to that in one week :p

Dunno today but like two years ago, maybe less, when Tiesto was #1, PvD was still more expensive in a lot of markets.

It really just depends on the city....some cities have a much higher demand for a certain DJ over another. Like, for example, it seems NYC has always been a bit "eh" with Tiesto while they love their PvD!!!

And, until this past time with Tiesto, I'd say SF was bigger with PvD compared to Tiesto. And maybe we still are. Just PvD has played here like a kagillion times (probably more here than any other city outside of Berlin?) since last September. Considering it's pretty much a residency without using the word residency. :p
Dinaire Force 1
quote:
Originally posted by DaveT
I imagine he made close to that in one week :p

Dunno today but like two years ago, maybe less, when Tiesto was #1, PvD was still more expensive in a lot of markets.

It really just depends on the city....some cities have a much higher demand for a certain DJ over another. Like, for example, it seems NYC has always been a bit "eh" with Tiesto while they love their PvD!!!

And, until this past time with Tiesto, I'd say SF was bigger with PvD compared to Tiesto. And maybe we still are. Just PvD has played here like a kagillion times (probably more here than any other city outside of Berlin?) since last September. Considering it's pretty much a residency without using the word residency. :p

PvD def played in SF many times but Id say its a close 2nd NY. He was a resident at Twilo for a few years and he still plays there every few months.

For highest paid? My guess is Tiesto
dj_bas
You're all wrong, you can book fantastic djs for only $200.

Clovis86
quote:
Originally posted by dj_bas
You're all wrong, you can book fantastic djs for only $200.

Yep, and we have our own speakers too! :wtf: :wtf:
groovedaddy21
Question i have is, if you book a duo, say, deep dish or above & beyond and only one of them can show up, is it half price or it doesnt' mmatter?

another question, how much is it to book DJ Luxor? I heard he's phenominal and charges astronomical fee.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement