return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Beauty and Attraction
View this Thread in Original format
Lira
Probably most (if not all) of you might've had this experience before:

You think someone is gorgeous, becomes greatly attracted to them and, for some reason (a possible break-up or any kind of any "bad" experience) you later realise the person is not that attractive anymore.

Did the person change? Sure, but the person itself might still have the physical qualities you considered attractive must still be there, so this is not the important part.

Has your perception changed? Probably, yes. The positive prejudice (or judgement) you had toward that person has become a negative one, and that's what I find interesting.

• Have you ever felt this down-to-earth epiphany? How was it?
  • Are you a psychology student/major who has studied about it? What kinds of explanation are there?

As for me, after two years of serious relationship, I realised how dynamic my concept of "attractive" is (and based on what others have said, I conclude this might be common). Whenever I'm okay with my girlfriend, I think she's the most beautiful girl ever, and all other girls look like "pandas" (i.e. they might even be cute, but they're not "individuals I'd mate with" :p). However, as soon as my girlfriend and I go through some crisis, girls look fantastic, which leads me to believe this might be a defence mechanism (and why I ignore it).
HardTranceProd
this post is way too intellectual for COR. you won't get a lot of good replies here, man :stongue:
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by HardTranceProd
this post is way too intellectual for COR. you won't get a lot of good replies here, man :stongue:

I'm looking for some humour too. In fact, I want a reference to big breasts within the next 10 posts! Now!
KilldaDJ
where the are the pics?
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by KilldaDJ
where the are the pics?

There are no pics as of yet.
lücid
i've experienced that many times... and not only with people i've dated. i think personality really goes a long way when it comes to attraction.
UWM
Pissed off at her or not, I still love her big breasts.
Blake
There are too many factors that go into all that you've mention. There are a good portion of attributes that go into attraction that are biological, physiological, and anthropological traits which we are not conscious of, though they play a major part when it comes to who we choose to be with.

As for other girls seeming more attractive when your girlfriend whips out the claws; eh, either you deal with the issues or you run away. It makes sense that other girls look great when there's tension between your girlfriend and yourself, but leaving the relationship for another, while it may solve the immediate conflict, isn't a solution. The same problems could arise with other women. Whatever the issues are it'd be best to confront them and break up, or confront them and stay together, but you shouldn't be just looking for a quick way out, as instinctual as that may seem.

There's tons of other behavioral neuroscience that I could mention but I've gotta get some lunch.
igottaknow
nothing worse than intellectual whores talking about beauty :nervous:
CranberryJuice
well yeah it happened to me like i had lil crush on a guy and then it goes away and then i don't even understand why i was attracted physically by this person

but tastes change a lot too

igottaknow
quote:
Originally posted by CranberryJuice
well yeah it happened to me like i had lil crush on a guy and then it goes away and then i don't even understand why i was attracted physically by this person

but tastes change a lot too

Poor Floorfiller will be devistated when he reads this
Theresa
A lot of the time, I will meet a guy that I am mildly attracted to but upon getting to know him, he will become much more attractive to me if he has a good personality. I also find it works the other way around. A super hot guy can become ugly if he is an .

Attraction isn't entirely based upon appearance, it's also based on the feelings that the individual triggers within you. If the person triggers negative emotions, you are less likely to find the person desireable.

Often I find myself saying to friends, "Yea, he's super hot, but his personality makes him ugly". I think it may be more common for women to be able to relate to this, seeing as we desire to be mentally stimulated more than, I believe, we desire to be visually stimulated. Perhaps my theory is wrong, but from personal experience, this is what I have gathered.

For example, I went out Wednesday night and I saw this guy that was drop dead gorgeous. Seriously, he was massive hotness - model material... I you not. I approached him, and immediately discovered that he was Mr. Macho, in your face, aggressive man. I went from "hubba hubba" to "yuck" in less than a minute. :D
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement