return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Videogame testing for a living
View this Thread in Original format
jdat
ok seriously this is totally retarded that I am even considering this.

This morning my father saw an job posting in the paper for videogame testers.

Here is what I got out of the job posting as by doing some googling.
The first thing I found through google was a job posting that seemed to be for the same company ( they are operating through various temp agencies apparently ).

Need to be fluent in french and english.
Tasks would be playing and proof-reading video-games full-time (40hrs/week); spell-checking the in-game texts as well as the manuals and also finding hidden bugs while actually playing the game.

You have a high affinity to video games and have always wanted to make a living out of playing them. You are highly reliable and have an excellent understanding of language.

Biggest problem:
I really don't give a fudge about videogames :haha:. Sure I have played some throughout my life but I would not call myself a gamer by any means at all!

This would also require I relocate to Frankfurt in Germany which is about 3 hours away.

Has anyone ever done any videogame testing?
Preferably as an actual job; not as a one off testing thing.

I am scared it would be boring as fudge but I think it could bring me a nice change to do that for a couple months to work on my German.

At this stage I also don't know what the pay would be......
KilldaDJ
what about a job doing something else? seeing as ur not a gamer, what are u?
gwrmarines
I'd take that job in a second! Ever seen grandmas boy? If it's anything like that, it's the best job evar!
jdat
quote:
Originally posted by KilldaDJ
what about a job doing something else? seeing as ur not a gamer, what are u?

:stongue:

Well I would be doing this more out of desperation I guess ... or not.

Haven't worked since I moved back to France january 2005 due to my health problems and the stupid unemployement issues here. But I must say I couldn't really work up until this july or so, it's only now that I'm "ok".

I have worked in the eletronic R&D industry, management and legal work.

Can't find crap related to that around where I live.
The only good jobs in the area are either working in Germany or Switzerland ( both borders are about 20/30 minutes away ) or working for the Peugeot manufacturing plant :haha:.
jdat
quote:
Originally posted by gwrmarines
I'd take that job in a second! Ever seen grandmas boy? If it's anything like that, it's the best job evar!

Tell me more please :).

And yeah I guess I do realize that it could be a real kick arse job in a sense but I do know I would only accept this for a temporary period and then would bugger off.
Aquarian
One of those things that sounds really fun on first glance, but once you actually get into it, it's really dull. It's hard to play your favorite game for five hours in a row at times, just imagine playing a boring, buggy game for twice that much... every day! It quickly ceases to be 'playing' and it becomes tedious work. That said, those jobs often don't pay all that well, not enough to make a good living from.
jdat
quote:
Originally posted by Aquarian
One of those things that sounds really fun on first glance, but once you actually get into it, it's really dull. It's hard to play your favorite game for five hours in a row at times, just imagine playing a boring, buggy game for twice that much... every day! It quickly ceases to be 'playing' and it becomes tedious work. That said, those jobs often don't pay all that well, not enough to make a good living from.

When my father first mentionned the job posting ( I only actually read and saw the details later ) my initial reaction was " do you realize how boring that could be playing maybe the same levels over and over trying to go everywhere and do everything and yada yada yada ? " b.o.r.i.n.g.

Salary will most certainly be a determining factor! Add to that I would need to relocate, find a place to live, transportation cost between here and there ( I will still need to come back frequently ) etc etc.
KilldaDJ
quote:
Originally posted by jdat
:stongue:

Well I would be doing this more out of desperation I guess ... or not.

Haven't worked since I moved back to France january 2005 due to my health problems and the stupid unemployement issues here. But I must say I couldn't really work up until this july or so, it's only now that I'm "ok".

I have worked in the eletronic R&D industry, management and legal work.

Can't find crap related to that around where I live.
The only good jobs in the area are either working in Germany or Switzerland ( both borders are about 20/30 minutes away ) or working for the Peugeot manufacturing plant :haha:.

hmm...well ur only working for one reason : money

so who cares what it is, if it pays well, whos complaining?

id get a job cleaning mens arses if it pays the bills and funds the drug habits :D
jdat
Don't take this the wrong way KillaDj and maybe my assumptions are wrong by asking you this but:

how old are you?

Having worked several types of jobs ( and others that I didn't list ) I have come to realize that working in a field you actually appreciate helps a lot otherwise you feel like complete and utter crap and dissatisfied with life.

The type of statement you just made is stuff I have heard from a lot of clueless young ones who'll work as long as they have money yet they,ve never really worked so have nothing to base their statement on.

I do realize it's my own opinion on the matter of what constitutes living a happy life. But here I wouldn't mind doing it ... for a short period of time that is!
KilldaDJ
quote:
Originally posted by jdat
Don't take this the wrong way KillaDj and maybe my assumptions are wrong by asking you this but:

how old are you?

Having worked several types of jobs ( and others that I didn't list ) I have come to realize that working in a field you actually appreciate helps a lot otherwise you feel like complete and utter crap and dissatisfied with life.

The type of statement you just made is stuff I have heard from a lot of clueless young ones who'll work as long as they have money yet they,ve never really worked so have nothing to base their statement on.

I do realize it's my own opinion on the matter of what constitutes living a happy life. But here I wouldn't mind doing it ... for a short period of time that is!

well ur assumptions are right 'a clueless young one' 19 years of age

i would like to work in a department of my choice which i will enjoy but things like that dont happen to people like me (college drop outs LOL) im hoping for a desk job or something, well thats what im going for and that with any chance will aid me in a musical career (either a band thing or trance producer/dj)

ive had jobs in the past but they were bull dead-end jobs in catering (no job satisfaction whatsoever) probably explains why im a bitter arsehole. so be it, happens.

Aquarian
quote:
Originally posted by jdat The type of statement you just made is stuff I have heard from a lot of clueless young ones who'll work as long as they have money yet they,ve never really worked so have nothing to base their statement on.

True.

My first job was hell. I worked in a dirty back store of a zellers under a bitchy sexist something-to-prove coordinator. I lasted 4 days there and worked a total of 20 hours.

My next job was something that paid less but was actually alot more enjoyable. I worked there 7 months. To this day, I still get the impression that I worked longer at the zellers, simply because those hours were so agonising that they've forever been imprinted into my memory.

Moral of the story - enjoy your job first, salary comes second.
dj_alfi
push there --> http://imdb.com/title/tt0456554/

all the answers u will ever need
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement