return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Skiing in good ol' USA
View this Thread in Original format
_Ocean_Drive_
To teh c0re...

Don't know if this is the right forum or not, but...!

Myself and a group of friends are looking to go Skiing in either one Utah/Colorado/Montana. Can anyone recommend a good place that isn't too touristy and is reasonably priced? Or if none of these states are any good for skiing, where would be? Alaska? Wyoming?!!

Looking to go for about a week, maybre more at the beginning of Feb.

Thanks in advance!

:)
all-nite-freak
Vermont:p
kid nyce
Think I can contribute a TON to this thread.

Here is my hitlist and then I'll give you my insight to each, yet I have not been to all.

Utah - Park City, Canyons, Snowbird, Alta, Solitude
Wyoming - Jackson Hole
Denver - Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Steamboat
Oregon - Mount Hood
Vancouver - Whistler, Blackcomb
Vermont - Killington, Okemo, Jay Peak, Mount Snow, + more
New York - Whiteface
Montreal - Tremblanc (Mont Blanc)
Nevada - Lake Tahoe(Northstar), Mamouth

Ok first thing first, how good are you because once you see the terrain out west, in comparison to any mountain range littered on the east is pretty much nothing compared to the west.

For the city life and fun I'd suggest hitting Vancouver or Utah. My girl has an apartment out in Breckenridge so I'm gonna get my Aspen, Vail, Breck, cherry broken in this winter. I can't comment on how things are there but I'd recommend Breck out of the 3-4 that are available to hit. Aspen and Vail are pretty much every urban myth and legend - be prepared to wear your bright colored sweaters and cashmere scarfs out there.

Oregon is unchartered territory - although I plan to make a visit late next season with Frost and MissBliss for some glacier riding.

Vermont - decent elevation but it's VERY VERY cold (-45 at the summitt). Killington is a great great mountain to ride, definitely recommended if budget is in mind.

Utah - there are mountains in Utah that are made for only skiiers so you might have less of a crowd at these resorts. I suggest checking out Utah as one of the first places to ever start because there are about 8-9 different mountains/resorts you can ride at, plenty of hotels in each location and even if you had to you could stay in downtown Salt Lake City and then drive out to the mountains (approx 30min drive) plus Delta flies direct to SLC since SLC is a large hub for most carriers. It comes highly recommended and it was my very very first out-west experience. I might even hit it again sometime soon since their seasons go very very late (may-june)

Montreal - never rode it but friends have - said it was decent for being on the eastern seaboard

Nevada - this is next on my hitlist, it's actually a toss up between this and Vancouver. The only thing that is stopping me from committing totally to Nevada is the drive to the mountains (lake tahoe and mamouth) is about 3-4hours from the airport. Where as in Vancouver - whistler is only about 45min-1hr drive. Both equally fun and exciting - believe vancouver pot is legal there. Also a worthy note to mention about Lake Tahoe is the view you have from the top of the mountain. If you check out the sites for Lake Tahoe Skiing/Snowboarding you'll see what I mean. Those pictures look like they are worth the 3-4hr drive - then again to find that tranquility, one would believe they'd have to drive 3-4hrs to find something so serene.

Well that should sum it up, I'll double check this thread if you want more info.

edit-this thread is not helping me surpress my hype for the snowboarding season - DAMN YOU - time to go home and watch some snowboarding dvds now!
nchs09
global warming = all snow melted.
_Ocean_Drive_
quote:
Originally posted by nchs09

Helpful as ever nchs

Kid nyce, that's an amazing summary already. Thank you.

I've only ever done dry-ski. I'd be a complete novice, but some people say it's quite easy to pick up?

I was looking at Utah, but didn't think Wyoming would be good!

Aspen seems over-hyped to me, filled with spoilt annoying rich kids on school holiday.
TheGinger
Colorado- the Vail/Beaver Creek area is AWESOME, but I think its pretty pricey. Definitely worth looking into, though.
nchs09
quote:
Originally posted by _Ocean_Drive_
Helpful as ever nchs

Kid nyce, that's an amazing summary already. Thank you.

I've only ever done dry-ski. I'd be a complete novice, but some people say it's quite easy to pick up?

I was looking at Utah, but didn't think Wyoming would be good!

Aspen seems over-hyped to me, filled with spoilt annoying rich kids on school holiday.
i like in the south where it snows 1 inch a year.... cut me a break :D
kid nyce
After I finish the domestic side of things I think I'm gonna make it to 2 main spots first - Geneva Switzerland then out to New Zealand, strongly followed by Chile and the Himalayas. After I can say check check check on those I think it's time to pick up Surfing or Sky Diving - I just gotta live that lifestyle - clubbing BAH grab a board and jump ontop of a snowy moutain at 11K and feel the wind blow perched ontop of an untouched shelf - then we'll talk about adrenaline rush!!!!!!

In terms of wet snow dry snow don't be fooled when you go out west, what looks like dry snow (groomed w/trail) could ultimately end up in a black diamond 60 pitch powder run. So becareful and be sure you can handle terrain. Yes there are trails you can ride just make sure you sleep well and rest your legs because the runs out there are long long runs not short minute trips.

I would only recommend it if you rode for 2+ years and know how to stop, cut, carve, and break. it's not something you should take on head first and expect you know what your doing. Some trails are also NARROW meaning atmost 8 ft wide with a really deep cliff of snow (black diamondish - not cliff with rocks and verticle drops) so once you go off that small trail you could easily end up on a black diamond LOL.
jonSun
Wisconsin!!!! well thats the only place i ski'd or board'd.
Ang ' ela_ie
quote:
Originally posted by nchs09

Hes not completely wrong. Only about half of it.

yujie__
You can ski in the desert at the Ski Dubai, which is inside a big ass mall in the UAE
Coastie
it "snows" all the time in Miami
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement