return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Unwanted Infant? No problem. Put it in our hatch.
View this Thread in Original format
RJT
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/48105.html

c0r version: If you live in Japan, and don't want your baby, you will soon be able to drop it in a hatch and forget about all your troubles!

quote:

Tokyo - A hospital in southern Japanese city of Kumamoto received permission from the local government to set up Japan's first baby post for parents unable to take care of their infant babies to leave them in better hands, media reports said Thursday. The baby hatch has drawn controversy in Japan ever since a Kumamoto hospital introduced the idea because some say that the service would encourage child abuse and abandonment.

Kumamoto city on Thursday decided to allow Jikei Hospital to install the slot as early as the end of this month so that newborn babies can be dropped off.

The concept of the service sprang out from Babyklappe or Babyfenster in Germany and has been promoted by the Japanese hospital.

The hospital in Kumamoto planned to set up the post, which would be called stork cradle in Japan, since the reports came out last year about three abandoned babies in Kumamoto prefecture alone.

Japanese health ministry receives about 200 cases of consultation concerning child abandonment a year, while the ministry reports show that nearly 220,000 abortions were conducted in Japan in the year until March 2006.

In hopes of saving lives and finding better homes for unwanted babies, Jikei Hospital, which does not perform abortions, submitted an application last December to the city government to set up the post.

After introducing the stork cradle, the hospital intends to cooperate with the local government agencies to put babies up for adoption and allow biological parents to re-claim their babies later when they gain child-rearing capabilities.

The post, which would be accessible from outside of the hospital, would have similar functions as an incubator. An alarm would go off and notify the hospital staff when a baby is placed inside.

Some people have opposed the plan, saying that the hatch would make it easier for irresponsible parents to abandon babies.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has earlier said that he was reluctant to introduce the stork cradle.

Japan has been suffering from a declining birth rate.

:wtf:

Still, they should have those here. Successfully hide the pregnancy for 9 months, then drop the baby off immediately after a sketchy back alley birth, exercise a few weeks, and no one's the wiser!
UWM
This would totally get a pregnant 5th grader out of a sticky situation.
david.michael
Sweet, now I can drop off my videos at Blockbuster AND my kids when I'm done with them. So efficient! Those crazy Asians!
RJT
quote:
Originally posted by UWM
This would totally get a pregnant 5th grader out of a sticky situation.

That's what I'm saying here, man.
Trance Nutter
quote:
Originally posted by david.michael
Sweet, now I can drop off my videos at Blockbuster AND my kids when I'm done with them. So efficient! Those crazy Asians!

just don't get the two mixed up
RJT
quote:
Originally posted by Trance Nutter
just don't get the two mixed up

That would make for a great episode of "Full House."
david.michael
quote:
Originally posted by RJT

Or Family Guy.
RJT
quote:
Or Family Guy.

Returning the Olsen twins to Blockbuster wins, hands down. :p
david.michael
quote:
Originally posted by RJT
Returning the Olsen twins to Blockbuster wins, hands down. :p

Blockbuster already has way more of the Olsen twins than it should, IMO.
Trance Nutter
Seriously though, I dunno what the culture is like in Japan but if that was in the US, UK or Australia I'd say it was a pretty lousy idea. Good intentions but bad idea.
All it would take was one spur of the moment decision by a mum having a bad day (bad mood + baby crying = possible bad decision). It would also facilitate teens (and others too) in shirking responsibility instead of forcing them to grow up and accept responsibility for their actions.
Yes there are mothers out there who genuinely can't cope, but theres also a lot who would be able to cope but would choose to abandon their child if there was this service.

RJT
quote:
Blockbuster already has way more of the Olsen twins than it should, IMO.

Oh yeah buddy? Did you learn that when you went to college?
UWM
quote:
Originally posted by RJT

Cut it out.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement