return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Boston: 1, Marketing Idiots with Bad Dreadlocks: 0
View this Thread in Original format
RJT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070511...s3EjiVjEKWs0NUE

quote:
BOSTON - Prosecutors said they would not pursue charges against two men who planted electronic devices around the city as part of a botched advertising campaign after the pair apologized Friday for causing a bomb scare. ADVERTISEMENT

Peter Berdovsky, 27, and Sean Stevens, 28, also performed community service at a rehabilitation center in a deal with prosecutors.

In contrast to their first court appearance in January, when they mugged for the camera and waved to friends in the courtroom, the men offered contrite apologies and said they never expected the stunt to cause any turmoil.

"I deeply regret that this incident caused such anguish and disruption to so many people," Berdovsky told the Charlestown District Court.

Stevens said he saw the devices simply as "harmless entertainment."

"I had no intention of upsetting or alarming anyone," he said.

The two were accused of planting about three dozen battery-powered devices in Boston and Cambridge on Jan. 31. The devices, a promotion for Cartoon Network, had lights that created images of a cartoon character making an obscene gesture.

Fears of terrorism arose when the devices were discovered in a subway station and on a bridge, among other locations. Bomb squads were deployed, and highways, bridges and some transit stations were temporarily closed.

Similar signs were placed in nine other cities around the United States, but only in Boston did they elicit such a response.

Berdovsky and Stevens were charged with placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct.

Attorney General Martha Coakley said it would have been difficult to prove to a jury that the men intended to create panic, and that she did not believe they realized the problems the ads would cause.

"We believe this was an appropriate and fair resolution," Coakley said.

Berdovsky said he was relieved the case was resolved without a trial.

"I am looking forward to what the future has to bring. I'm just going to be working really hard and working on my art and working to build a really peaceful community for all of us to live in," Berdovsky told The Associated Press by telephone after the hearing.

Berdovsky performed 80 hours of service and Stevens completed 60 hours at the Spaulding Rehabilitation Center in Boston.

The men designed a cartoon mural that will be painted in a waiting area for children undergoing physical therapy, said Oz Mondejar, Spaulding's vice president of human resources. They also helped patients use computers, cleaned the hospital's sailing docks and helped produce a DVD featuring patients talking about their rehabilitation successes.

Turner Broadcasting and the advertising agency that carried out the campaign, Interference Inc., agreed to pay a $2 million settlement to cover costs and restitution for the law enforcement response. The head of the Cartoon Network resigned nine days after the stunt.

Between these s apologizing and the head of CN resigning as a result of this, I really feel as though the true Mooninite Spirit would be utterly let down by these spineless turncoat morons.

A big " Off" would have been the only appropriate response
bas
$2 million settlement?! them.
SuspicionVandit
why did boston score 1 point?
i woulda docked them 2 points for being pansies
RJT
Seriously.

If anyone should be apologizing, it's all of Boston for being represented by such utterly incompetent s.
inconspicuous
quote:
Originally posted by RJT
Seriously.

If anyone should be apologizing, it's all of Boston for being represented by such utterly incompetent s.

meh, it's not like athf is hugely popular with the older folks. It makes for entertaining news, and it's a silly situation, but I can't really fault anybody.
RJT
quote:
Originally posted by SuspicionVandit
why did boston score 1 point?

$2 Million Dollar Settlement + Unnecessary Apology + Executive Resigning = 1 Point to Boston
RJT
quote:
Originally posted by inconspicuous
meh, it's not like athf is hugely popular with the older folks. It makes for entertaining news, and it's a silly situation, but I can't really fault anybody.

It's not about popularity, it's about how utterly ing ridiculous the whole situation was.

9 other cities had no issues, and they're filled with old people too.

chach
i wish this thread was about boston market :(
DJFreaq
I wish people weren't such pussies.

People freaking out like this makes me ing embarassed to be American.

I honestly believe the only reason prosecution went forward to charge these two men in the first place is because they were ing embarassed that they big scare was over some ing LED toys.

Did I say ing enough?

This is my one post in the cor for the month.

Greets all!

---Adam
RJT
quote:
Originally posted by chach
i wish this thread was about boston market :(

Boston Market is terrible. Shake 'N Bake, yo.

Sunsnail
If I recall correctly, they had been put up for weeks before anyone noticed.
inconspicuous
quote:
Originally posted by RJT
It's not about popularity, it's about how utterly ing ridiculous the whole situation was.

9 other cities had no issues, and they're filled with old people too.

well, if they don't know what the hell it is, it doesn't seem so ridiculous for them to be wary of it. Just one of those, "Oh well" situations, IMO.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement