return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Why do Superstar DJ's use CD's?
View this Thread in Original format
the_gamemaster
I mean, its more convenient for the likes of you or I to use CD's, but why do guys like armin or tiesto use them? As they usually play pre-planned sets they only have to bring a few records with them, and if they wanted to im sure they could just tell the club owners what tracks they wanted to play and have them waiting for them when they arrived.

Are they just being used to advertise CD players?
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by the_gamemaster
As they usually play pre-planned sets

Where the hell did you get that from?
quote:

they only have to bring a few records with them, and if they wanted to im sure they could just tell the club owners what tracks they wanted to play and have them waiting for them when they arrived.

Not all tracks are available to everyone.

What does it matter what they use anyway? I fail to see your point.
the_gamemaster
Your'e telling me he doesn't plan out a state of trance before he plays it?
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Your'e telling me he doesn't plan out a state of trance before he plays it?

Of course, that's a radio show. You do know the difference between a radio show and a club gig, right?
the_gamemaster
Yeah, but ASOT is in front of a live audience, often of thousands of people.
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Yeah, but ASOT is in front of a live audience, often of thousands of people.

That's a no then. ASOT is a radio show broadcasted from a studio.
the_gamemaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0e3k645Q-k

Funny looking studio.

Yes, I know its only for special occasions, like 250, 300 etc.
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Yes, I know its only for special occasions, like 250, 300 etc.

Key words here being "only for special occasions".
T-Soma
So besides the few exceptions (the occasional ASOT)

I think most of them find it convenient to use cds for the obvious reasons.

Cheaper
Lighter
Easily backed up
Easier to get stuff straight out of the studio
Get tracks instantly
Don't worry about skipping/scratches/dust
Have more control over loops/cueing

Just that kind of obvious stuff.
Its a pretty silly question to be asking.
There are DJs who prefer the feel of vinyl and they use it.
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
Of course, that's a radio show. You do know the difference between a radio show and a club gig, right?

Tbh I doubt he even plans his radio shows out, not down to the nth degree at least - I'm sure he's a lot busier than me and I'd never have time to plan a tracklist for my whole show every week!

Plus, lots of DJs prefer using CDs now, it's not just a matter of being lighter and easier to carry - you can do more with the technology, less chance of the track skipping, never have to worry about feedback etc

EvilTree
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox
Tbh I doubt he even plans his radio shows out, not down to the nth degree at least - I'm sure he's a lot busier than me and I'd never have time to plan a tracklist for my whole show every week!

Plus, lots of DJs prefer using CDs now, it's not just a matter of being lighter and easier to carry - you can do more with the technology, less chance of the track skipping, never have to worry about feedback etc

if armin does what schulz does, he'd probably plan his radioshow during flights and such
Neo Hacker
LOL

ASOT isn't in front of thousand people. Each year there is a big party to celebrate ASOT's birthday and 300 is one of them, like 250, 200, 150, 100...etc. Sometimes Armin plays a live episode in ASOT, which means it is from a live event somewhere in the world like Amnesia or Ibiza. But that's all. 90% of the shows are in studio. Email Armin himself if you want, he'll tell you the same thing as I just did.

Some DJs play pre-recorded sets yes. But most of the time, DJs play live performance and their set changes from each city. I mean, they might open their set with the same song and close it with the same one all the time, because the songs fit well, but most of the time, the set is changed for the crowd. It depends how the crowd reacts.

And I got a question my-self. Why bringing CDs when they could bring a laptop with Serato ? I am my self a CD DJ, but I always wondered why Armin, A&B and most of them don't use a digital solution.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement