return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 
What is the last good book you read?
View this Thread in Original format
MrJiveBoJingles
A few days ago I finished The Exile's Return by Malcolm Cowley. It's about the "lost generation" of writers in Europe and America in the 1920s -- Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and others of their time. Cowley was an editor and critic who knew a lot of the most famous authors in that group, and he explains what motivated them to do what they did, and how their experiences -- growing up and going to college in America, fighting in World War I, living in post-war France, then finally returning to the U.S. -- shaped their beliefs and their art. Highly recommended for anyone with interests in the 1915-1930 era of literature, and in how writers are influenced by their reading, friendships with each other, and life experiences.

How about you people?
jonze
The Count of Monte Cristo
RJT

Loved it.

Just getting into Ellis' "American Psycho" now, and really enjoying that one as well.
MrJiveBoJingles
quote:
Originally posted by RJT
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n6/n34877.jpg

Cool. I've only read Slaughterhouse-Five, which I really enjoyed. I saw Galapagos on the shelf once but had never heard of it. Maybe I'll look into it.

quote:
Just getting into Ellis' "American Psycho" now, and really enjoying that one as well.

Pretty funny book, and also disturbing.
RJT
quote:
Originally posted by MrJiveBoJingles
Cool. I've only read Slaughterhouse-Five, which I really enjoyed. I saw Galapagos on the shelf once but had never heard of it. Maybe I'll look into it.

It's actually kind of sci-fi, which I thought was great. I think if you liked Slaughterhouse Five you'll enjoy it.
kadomony
Clovis
quote:
Originally posted by RJT
It's actually kind of sci-fi, which I thought was great. I think if you liked Slaughterhouse Five you'll enjoy it.

Galapagos is next on my list. Last Vonnegut I read was "Slapstick" which is ing hilarious.

Last good book I read:

denys envy
Asimov's Guide to the Bible: The Old and New Testaments

Isaac Asimov's in-depth look at the historical significance and events surrounding each episode of the bible. really explains a great deal about everything and why/how it was written. purposes of each apostle/chapter.

good read, especially for all you amateur theologians out there.
eROs.au
the stranger
Moongoose

DJ Robben
Jpod.
glass
Heinlein, Stranger in a Strangeland, Starship Troopers

Millman, The Journey of Sacrates

All great:)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 
Privacy Statement