return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
When foreigners think you're from their country
View this Thread in Original format
Lira
When my dad lived in the US, Arabs would always greet him in Arabic. Whenever an Arab saw him, sure thing, they'd approach him and say hi. Puzzled, he one day asked why that was, and the Arabs told him he looked Saudi. The funny thing about it is that my great grandfather was indeed an Arab (from Syria), but he's from my mother's side of the family. We've always laughed about it, and used to think it was a just a random thing.

Or so we thought.

As most TA's know, my fiancée is now studying abroad. Though she's a Brazilian girl living in the land of her forefathers, everyone there thinks she's from yet another country - namely, China. Most Japanese apparently know she's a foreigner, and it never really bothered her mainly because... well, she is. But, she was puzzled as to why everytime a Chinese person spotted her, they'd immediately try to strike a conversation in Mandarin. Some of them are so incredulous they ignore the fact that she's speaking a different language altogether, and insist until they realise all efforts have been anything but fruitful. A guy once told us he thought she came from Canton... and, granted, when she visited China, everyone seemed to think she was a local (though she's never been to Guangzhou).

Has this ever happened to you, or to someone you know?
Lilith
A: People are stupid all over :p
jennypie
Arr rook same?
owien
this never happens i'm to white
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by jennypie
Arr rook same?

I never really understood that either. I can't tell whether someone is French or German just by looking at them (or, for that matter, Brazilian or Argentinian), why would I be able to tell Koreans and Japs apart? :p

If you think you can, test your might.
DJ Damerchi
this happens with my dad all the time, pretty much with any country around the Mediterranean. People think he's Spanish, Israeli, Turkish, Greek, Lebanese, etc.

I on the other hand have a problem convincing people from my own country that I am indeed Iraqi.
pkcRAISTLIN
that's because there's only 2 races. white, and then all the mud people.
yukii
Lol, everyone always thinks my dad is from Tennessee, or some other state. They never believe he was born/raised in Spain.
Domesticated
quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
that's because there's only 2 races. white, and then all the mud people.

No, there's three races: white, mud and ginger. In that order.
LoveHate
its awsome.

pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by Domesticated
No, there's three races: white, mud and ginger. In that order.

but gingers aren't real people though.
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
but gingers aren't real people though.

Yeah, they're sexy beasts!

CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement