return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Tehlord (pg. 7)
View this Thread in Original format
tehlord
Weird, I don't find the HS80s bassy at all. In fact the old RP6s sounded bassier tbh, and the midrange is right in my face too.

Must be how yuo've got them backed right up against the wall.
ya i guess my room is too small and that i have standing waves between back wall and where my couch is on the oposite wall, like 3,5m. im trying both 80Hz cut, -2dB on highs, +2dB on mids, and it helps alot but the rolloff on 80Hz is abit too fast so im actually loosing everything down there hehe. i believe smaller speakers with front mounted bassport or no bassport at all would be best here. its a shame because i really liked the low mids on them, its big, open and majestic and mixing midbass must be a dream on them. also drums sounds great on them imo, but i couldnt get into how the represent leads. its almost not present.
tehlord
It may be worth trying them for a week first and seeing how your mixes translate once you're used to them a bit. The first render I did of the first thing I mixed on the HS80s was all over the place.
Mad for Brad
quote:
Originally posted by 19503
ya i guess my room is too small and that i have standing waves between back wall and where my couch is on the oposite wall, like 3,5m. im trying both 80Hz cut, -2dB on highs, +2dB on mids, and it helps alot but the rolloff on 80Hz is abit too fast so im actually loosing everything down there hehe. i believe smaller speakers with front mounted bassport or no bassport at all would be best here. its a shame because i really liked the low mids on them, its big, open and majestic and mixing midbass must be a dream on them. also drums sounds great on them imo, but i couldnt get into how the represent leads. its almost not present.

have you tried the roll off ? it isn't a very steep curve.
who the invented bassports anyway? it sucks.
Mad for Brad
lol um Newton ?

the air has to go somewhere.
nortek
no, air is compressable. giving a much tighter bass. but demands better amp of course.
Mad for Brad
your cone moves, it pushes air, it has to go somewhere. Tighter bass ? What does that even mean ?
DJ RANN
Palm (you know I'm never going to call you by that silly number), you're listening position is way off, and you're going to run in to the same problem with any speakers that have good bass response, so don't blame the HS80's.

Firstly, there's no toe in on your speakers. You need to find a way to angle them in, which will also help with the bass port at the back.

Next, move them slightly out from the wall - even another six inches will help.

Next, your triangle is way off - from the perspective of that photo it looks like your distance from the speakers is around twice that of the distance between them. It going to seriously up your mid range - in fact I think that is EXACTLY the problem with your mid range right there. You''re so far away, your cranking them up. As bass is (in SPL terms) the strongest part of the signal you're hearing a lot of bass at that distance.

Do me a favor: as an experiment, move the speakers away from the wall, toe them in and sit closer so you're making a perfect triangle. Now remove all the dialled in settings (rolloff etc) turn them all the way down and bring them up to nice listening gain.

I think you'll have a very different listening experience to what you hear right now ;)
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by Mad for Brad
your cone moves, it pushes air, it has to go somewhere. Tighter bass ? What does that even mean ?

this is why engineers shouldn't compose (and composers shouldn't give engineering advice.) ;)

Compression and rarefaction! It aint just air moving.

Mad for Brad
so the air being pushed from my bass ports are actually fairy dust ? I'm quite familiar with how sound waves are created but without a medium to move, your bass isn't going to be projected. Which is why you need that escape hatch.
tehlord
Cool, a fight I can spectate instead of partake in.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Privacy Statement