return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
DJ Gear: USB DJ Controller or turntables?
View this Thread in Original format
trancecravings
Hey guys, I know you guys get this question a lot and its probably very annoying but I just had to make another noob thread that is specific to me =P But dont worry, I at least did some research before posting.

First, I think its best to explain a little bit about me so that I can help you guys help me better. I'm not looking to go pro with deejaying in the future or anything, its just a hobby since I love electronic music so much. Maybe just start out at house parties and eventually when I get better, I might do a couple club gigs on the side. But mainly, I'm doing it at home just for kicks.

I started off listening to trance music at a very young age but now that I'm in my latter years of university I've been exposed more to the club scene and as a result, I am hooked on electro (especially the dirty dutch stuff). ex. afrojack, chuckie, swedish house mafia etc..

My long time gf is actually buying me the gear for christmas but she doesnt have a clue what to get, nor do I. I did a search on this forum and found a thread similar to this where n3lly and some other guy were arguing whether this noob should buy turntables (cdj's + mixer - i hope im using the correct dj terms haha) or usb controller. I think n3lly's argument was that the OP wouldnt be able to learn how to beatmatch properly because he'll be constantly looking at the screen to beatmatch.

My question is: What exactly is the difference between a USB DJ controller and turntables?

My understanding is that for turntables (CD J's), all your music has to be on CD's and you mix without software. For USB controller, you can use music directly from your laptop and use software to help you mix as well. BUT (correct me if im wrong), you can still do exactly what you would be able to do on turntables by covering the phase screen (sorry i dunno what its called) and NOT using the sync button to beat match. If everything I said is correct, I think I am going to go with the USB controller so...

My second question is: What usb controller would be a decent one to start out with?

For example, does it matter what music you play with it? (I like electro so should i buy one that is better for this genre?) Also, I did some other research and found that certain usb controllers only work with certain softwares. So should i buy one that can use serato? or traktor? (I also have no idea what software is good btw, i am currently using virtual dj to just fool around on my laptop.) I think you guys also said Numark and pioneer are good brands (correct me if I'm wrong, I've read too many threads to remember).

Sorry for writing an essay but I feel that you guys would be able to help me better if I added the extra context. Overall, I am currently siding with the USB controller but feel free to add PROS and CONS to alter my decision. My budget is approximately $1000. I am quite flexible so if you guys think the best bang for my buck is a $600 dollar controller or at $1400 dollar controller, I will also take it into consideration. But please not over $1500. THANKS IN ADVANCE! :gsmile:
DjWoody
Wow! You got a pretty big budget.

Do you have a laptop? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that you mainly want to play at house parties? And, that you love dirty dutch.

Here in LA dirty dutch is very mainstream, so most venues that play it, including my own, have CDJ's, Technics SL1200 turntables and Serato Scratch Live. If you're lucky, they'll have Traktor. But most venues I played at don't. That's pretty much the setup at most mainstream clubs here in LA. Anything beyond that, it's really up to you.

Controllers are starting to play a role, but I don't see them being a big hit yet. However, a lot of DJ's are now buying the Native Instruments S4 controller. IMO, right now, for the club DJ's, controllers are sort off an inconvenience. It's a hassle having to deal with them every weekend. However, if you're just gonna do your own parties, than they might work perfect for you.

If eventually you want to start doing EDM clubs, than you'll have to learn how to use CDJ's. Most EDM clubs have them. With either CDJ's or Turntables you can use any DVS system you like such as Serato or Traktor. They're both awesome, and at the end it comes down to personal preference and convenience. A DVS system lets you control the music on your laptop using turntables or CDJ's. If you use a DVS system, you don't need to burn your music to CD's, you can carry it all on your laptop.

Hope this answeres your questions. Any others, just ask.

:toothless
DjWoody
trancecravings
So basically, a controller is everything in one (cdj + mixer + dvs) but the negative aspect of it is that its a hassle to bring to clubs?

And by the looks of it, getting 1 controller will probably be cheaper than buying the CDJ, mixer, and DVS.

And yes, I already have a laptop. It's suppose to be for school but nonetheless it'll work.
orTofønChiLd
Wow woody, did you make that yourself?
miamitranceman
quote:
Originally posted by orTofønChiLd

Yeah that's pretty impressive.
DjWoody
quote:
Originally posted by orTofønChiLd

Hahahahaha yeah I did... I was bored at work and had 20 min to kill. I was actually gonna code it into HTML and make it interactive. lol Why not? This question gets asked all the time, so might as well put it in a somewhat easy to understand graphic.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

quote:
Originally posted by trancecravings
So basically, a controller is everything in one (cdj + mixer + dvs) but the negative aspect of it is that its a hassle to bring to clubs?

And by the looks of it, getting 1 controller will probably be cheaper than buying the CDJ, mixer, and DVS.

And yes, I already have a laptop. It's suppose to be for school but nonetheless it'll work.

That is correct. Depending on the crontroller, some will feel very cheap and some, like the Native Instruments S4, will feel just right.
trancecravings
Alrighty, so the Native Instruments S4 is the way to go? Sorry, just got a couple more questions before I seal the deal. Should I buy it brand new or second hand? (ex. is there a big difference or is it too sketchy to buy it second hand) Also, what is the approximate price for this? I ask this to make sure I don't get hustled. Thanks a lot DJ woody, you were very helpful.

Edit: Is the brand considered decent as well? Cause I thought Pioneer and Numark was the way to go.
brucelee6783
Agreed with everything DJ Woody said.

Pioneer is popular and decent, but they don't always have the best sound quality as far as mixers go. Numark is a cheap alternative to Rane/Allen & Heath/Urei, but the same goes for Numark, not always the best in terms of mixer sound quality. The reliability should be pretty good as long as you're not actually TRYING to break it.

Regarding the makers of the S4, Native Instruments...everything I've used from them has made me happy. They're damn good. You have my word.
veezee
quote:
Originally posted by trancecravings
Alrighty, so the Native Instruments S4 is the way to go? Sorry, just got a couple more questions before I seal the deal. Should I buy it brand new or second hand? (ex. is there a big difference or is it too sketchy to buy it second hand) Also, what is the approximate price for this? I ask this to make sure I don't get hustled. Thanks a lot DJ woody, you were very helpful.

Edit: Is the brand considered decent as well? Cause I thought Pioneer and Numark was the way to go.

Most US retailers are selling for $899 .. but with shipping , duties etc , you are going to be a bit over $1000. I see you are in Vancouver (so am I), L&M sells then for just over $1000.. You are not going to get better on this side of the border.

Got for it.. the S4 uses high resolution (HID) jog and pitch fader's.. if you want to beat match manually , then you can. - I put this in my post because you asked about it originally. Beat matching does not dictate if you are a good dj - it WAS (depending on equipment used) a limitation of turntables and was a required skill to be able to perform without clearing the dance floor with the sound of shoes in the dryer. Anyhow.. that's a topic for the beat matching thread!

The S4 and Traktor is pretty powerful with it's sample decks, looping, 4 decks etc.. you can be more creative (IMO) then you could with a set of (budget) decks and a mixer.

Just remember , if you start gigging in clubs with a laptop and controller, look up at crowd once in a while :)

Jay

trancecravings
alright, thanks a lot guys, i think i will go for the s4. btw Jay, do you have any experience on importing the equipment? I think I'll actually save money buying it local for a higher price since I'll have to pay shipping and all that jazz if I import it. Am I right?
Quazar
Man, one of these days I'm gonna have to learn Traktor. I use Virtual DJ, but I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who does.

Good advice, Woody! I'm actually getting the Hercules DJ Console RMX (I have a much smaller budget) to practice on, and I plan on getting some CDJs whenever I get to a point where I think I can do club gigs, since unless you're a headliner they're not going to be too keen on letting you haul in your own gear. Might as well learn how to walk in with a CD book and hit the decks. :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement