return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Preparing producer contest - need input
View this Thread in Original format
Storyteller
What would it take for you guys to make a demo competition interesting?

Prizes?
Software?
Remix budget?
Vinyl?

In general; What would take it for you to participate?
Beatflux
what's a demo contest?
Storyteller
Best demo wins release + prizes + eternal fame and a date with my mom. that sort of stuff.
Beatflux
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller
Best demo wins release + prizes + eternal fame and a date with my mom. that sort of stuff.

What's in it for the label? Publicity, new contacts, sign the next deadmau5?
Storyteller
All of the above. Since it has to be founded it's supposed to be a way to make new contacts, raise awareness and afterwards to change the game. I need about 20-30 releases signed in a period of 3 months. Pristine quality only of course. Only one will win the grand prize but it needs to grab attention.

I'm currently aiming for:
- 500 Euro cash advance AND royalties, 500 euro won't be deducted from royalties.
- Software by sponsors
- Release on label and more or less a 1k remix budget
- Maybe a custom shot video clip for the release
- The chance of being part in something new :)

Some follow-ups might get a remix budget too.

It's because of my thesis. The thesis is aimed at a record label startup with a new business model. You need to start with some releases coming from somewhere, so I want to know what would attract producers and convince them to send in a demo to a new label.
tehlord
What it would take for me to enter would be a labels implicit promise that the actual best track would win rather than the one that fit the current Beatport top 10.

Also, i'd need to hear some sort of inspirational vocal or killer synth hook to spend time remixing it.

Saying that I don't really do the remix thing. I've tried it a few times but I kind of get bored when it's not 'all mine'.

But good source material and unbiased judging would be a good start.
Storyteller
It is an original contest, no remix stuff. I would put a small promo online with the contest though to show what type of music we're looking for. The label will be a niche-label and not focused on what is popular right now.
Beatflux
Be up front with what you're looking for. I feel bad for guys who enter and lose to some ty dubstep remix. If you're looking for beatport top 10 or whatever, be honest about it. "Looking for Storytellerish type of tunes." Money is good.
tehlord
Ah right ok my bad, I read it as a remix competition.

In that case, I'd concentrate on building the idea that best entries will be provided with thorough and persistent promo as this is where almost all new and small labels fall down. The better up and coming artists know this as well imo.

If you offer prizes it'll attract the Skullkandy crowd, which I'm assuming you don't want.
Lucidity
Getting new contacts and a possibility of a release would be enough to make me want to enter. Personally, all I want is incentive to want to make more tunes and for those tunes to be heard. I wouldn't care about money prizes, ect.....

Looney4Clooney
I gave away 700 with nothing to gain. For someone using it as a marketing tool, anything less than 5000 for the top 3 would be cheap. also, the competition should be done to foster young talent and the marketing that arises a by product even if you don't plan it on paper that way. People should feel this was the intention before and after and it is actually a bad idea to piss off 100 people for the sake of 1 winner.
Storyteller
quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
In that case, I'd concentrate on building the idea that best entries will be provided with thorough and persistent promo as this is where almost all new and small labels fall down. The better up and coming artists know this as well imo.

Ok, I can manage that. Would prizes like few posts back attract producers that have built up bit of name too. I'm so caught up in this thesis thing I have to ask, because I can't judge it objectively anymore.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement