return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Sennheiser headphones
View this Thread in Original format
Transa
I just spent 60 punds on a new set of sennheiser hd495 silver headphones and they suck! They are so light and flimsy and the sound quality isnt even that good! So im gonna get a refund,but which headphones do y'all recommend for 60 bucks (Uk cash)?
I was told the ministry of sound ones are alright,but theres two kinds,silver ones and dark grey ones,diffrence? I really always stumble when it comes to head cans!
igottaknow
quote:
Originally posted by Transa
...sennheiser hd495 silver headphones and they suck! They are so light and flimsy and the sound quality isnt even that good! So im gonna get a refund,but which headphones do y'all recommend for 60 bucks (Uk cash)?

I bought AKG240 for $80 9yrs ago, they are awesome sounding and durable as hell and still in great condition. They probably are more expensive now, but you see them in most of the professional recording studios because of their quality.
dj alonzo
Get the sony mdr-v500, they sell for about 50 bucks (uk) and their sound is very decent.
Fyx
This seems kind of strange to me.. The 495's are very good quality headphones for the money. Well, since this is the DJ forum I will assume that you are buying headphones for mixing. That being the case then the 495's won't do you too much good as they are open headphones and will leak in lots of sound from your speakers. Mixing is still certainly possible with open headphones, but may prove to be more difficult, especially in a noisy environment.

Your choices for around around 60 pounds are kind of limited though..
It would probably be very beneficial to save up a bit more and drop 90-100 pounds on some really solid headphones.

Alot of people recommend sony headphones but I would say to stay away from them if you can. You'll get better quality from some other offerings for the money. A suitable and economical set of headphones for mixing at home would be the Sennheiser 25SP. Other good buys would be the AKG 240's as mentioned by igottaknow. And lastly the beyerdynamic DT 770.

Also sennheiser recently released a new closed headphone, the HD-280
pro. I haven't used or seen any of these personally, and also have no idea how much they sell for. I am guessing that they are well out of your price range but probably around top of the line. (150pounds) Along with the Sennheiser 25's and the Beyerdynamic DT 831's. Also very nice is the IXOS DJ 1001's are very nice and worth mentioning on the high end.

Anyone have any first hand experience with the HD-280's?
sot
I got Sony MDR v700's and my god there quality headphones. I had no problems with them yet. They cost about 120 bux (US dollars) but well worth it. :)
Special_K
Ya man I got Sony MDR-700's as well. I've never been more satisfied with a purchase. They have crystal clear sound even at very high volume. Im using them right now as I type.
Tr@NzA
Yep i got a pair of Seinnhesiser HP-85's and compaired to the Sonys V-700's there nowt, so much clarity in them, and its like wairing £1000 worth of speakers next to ya ears. Every Trance DJ ive seen wears them so u they cant be wrong huh!!

PS Nice name Transa, great minds think alike :P
Transa
He he,thanks man.Im just wonderin,how do i get a pic like all u guys have under your name?
dazzed
you do have a pick buddy.
its tiesto flapping his arms like a bird =)

i heard from some people that the sony mdr's have too much bass. that its kinda amped so its harder to distinquish real beats.
i just bought the technics RPDJ-1200a or something. they are amazing. earpieces are not as big as the sony's, but they are soft and cushy and dround out allot of the sound. when i tried the sonys on they were kinda stiff and strong.. i felt like if i left them on they would numb my ears.

the rpdjs go for 200 us. but i got them for 110 at electronicscity.com.. great buy.
Gluegun
*Rolls on the ground for five minutes laughing at everyone's sucky headphones*

Okay, you all are GOOD, you hear that, GOOD..hehe....oh, man, people thinking that sooo many pieces of crap sound good, and sooooo many good things sound bad....

Oh, okay, okay...

We'll take these as a given....

An audiophile want's completely accurate, open sound with a wide soundstage, that is nonetheless detailed and (maybe even) up-front. They probably want the speakers or headphones to NOT add their own color to the mix, just to reproduce what is already recorded.

Someone who is listening to trance probably wants a LOT of midbass; one of the biggest draws of trance is that 80 to 100 hz midbass THUMP THUMP THUMP, which can make your brain produce some happy chemicals.

Someone who is mixing trance, Ideally, wants to please both the people at the club, who might not be mentally able to criticize "the sound" of anything, and even the audiophile listening to his mix in the comfort of his own home, with his accurate headphones and/or speakers.

Given those, I am REALLY surprised at the headphones you all are talking about!!

Okay, someone said that they didn't like the Sennheiser HD495's. That was REALLY surprising. Those would SUCK to mix with, but they are some of the better audiophile headphones out there. However, they don't have exaggerated bass (which you all want/need), and may even need to be connected to an amp to sound loud enough. However, while they are GREAT audiophile headphones, those are BAD headphones with which to mix trance. DON'T, however, claim that they suck; they DON'T. Try playing some classical through them, from a big cd player with a strong headphone jack.

Heh. You all like the IXOS Ministry of Sound headphones and the Sony MDR-V700DJ's...

*falls over laughing*

Egad, you really DON'T know anything about headphones, do you? Well, for ONE thing, even if the IXOS ones are good (they sound okay, but the price/performance ratio isn't that great), the ENTIRE Sony MDR-V###DJ series SUCKS!!

Do you want to know why? Even if you LIKE huge, bloated midbass, you get that with no mids, screechy highs, and no detail across the spectrum! And plus, if you want big, bassy closed headphones, you only have to spend 1/5th as much! Buy the Koss UR-20's, which sound better than the ENTIRE MDR-VCRAPDJ SERIES, and cost $25!! And, you know what, the VCRAPDJ series, NONE of their headphones gives you true bass! they give you crappy midbass, but, despite sony's claims that they go to 5 hz, 50 hz is more like it! Those headphones don't even go NEAR the bottom of the human hearing range (which is 20 hz), so you can't get any true bass with those, no matter how loud you turn it up. you can with the Koss UR-20's and the UR-30's, however.

Okay, okay, you ask, "Well, if those suck, than what's better for mixing trance?" I'll tell you. For mixing trance, I would think that you would need some easy to drive closed headphones that are fairly accurate, but exaggerated in the bass, for beat matching. There is one set of headphones that does this, and EVERY recording studio that knows JACK uses it. It is the one set of headphones that, if you record something with this, chances are, it will sound GREAT with anything. It is accurate, except for some slight exaggeration at the lower end (ie, if you play a 60 decibel tone, and a sweep from 150 hz to 20 hz, through the v6's, it will remain the same loudness the lower you go, where, with a normal set of headphones, it would get quieter and quieter the closer you get to the bottom range of human hearing). Do you know what these headphones are? They are the Sony MDR-V6. They are not the Sony MDR-V600DJ's. The "professional" version of these phones (with a better paint job) is the sony MDR-7506. Those are not the Sony MDR-7509's, which are the crappy Sony MDR-V900DJ's with a better paint job. Remember, if you WANT good headphones to mix with, get the Sony MDR-V6 or the Sony MDR-7506!!

Oh, and sennheiser headphones? Sennheiser makes two headphones that would be great for dj'ing. Both are closed. There is the Sennheiser HD25SP, which has slightly boomy bass but otherwise accurate sound, and the audiophile-quality (ie, no exaggeration, and no boomy bass) HD25.

Gluegun out.

skywarp
Gluegun, THANK YOU ! I've been wanting to write a rant like that for quite some time now but I always opted out, considering how much I yell at people as it is ...

If I had to, I would sell several of my organs to get a pair of Senneheiser HD-25 ... good thing that I already have them. Best headphone I ever used ... EVER, and trust me I tried A LOT of so-called "DJ" headphones.

Hmm.
NZWaverider
for 60 bucks im sure they sound poor, dood i just purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD200s @$189NZ and they sound way better than the sony MDRV500DJ @$179NZ, the only thing i can recommend if you dont want to spend the money, just go to an audio store who sell a range of headphones and have a good listen, its the only way to do it, but im sure you will come up with the conclusion that the more you pay the better the head phone you will get, and that a cheep sony will sound like crap and cheep sennheisers will also sound like crap.

Im actually wondering if i should go back and up grade to the Senheiser HD270s for $300NZ, they sounded smoother any sugestions, dont know weather i should spend the extra $100nz, but they did sound good and i need them for recording editing.....please help should i upgrade to the HD270s, anybody got them?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Privacy Statement