return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
things you heard about other countries...get them resolved here...
View this Thread in Original format
Floorfiller
hehee ok...this thread is inspired by the fact that my girlfriend told me that germans thought that it was wierd that americans wore white socks?? is that true...

anyway, everyone else feel free to ask your stupid questions about other cultures in an effort to promote a more worldly TA...
Ian^
when i was first talking to a gorgeous aussie ta (Not paul, jolz :p ) she laughed lots at me cos i asked if they had supermarkets in australia, i was getting at like the 'same branded' ones as here, but it never got that far & she laughed lots :p

Did you know that if u lived in france it's illegal to call your pet pig napoleon ?
arctic
Ian you git. :p

As for my question, is it true that America is obsessed with religion, and that it's practically impossible for a non Christian/Jew to get elected to parliment? :nervous:
Matt Jay
Does everyone in Britain eat biscuits while drinking tea??? :haha:

:rolleyes:
TwoPlow
quote:
Originally posted by arctic
Ian you git. :p

As for my question, is it true that America is obsessed with religion, and that it's practically impossible for a non Christian/Jew to get elected to parliment? :nervous:

Senate / House of Representatives

But yeah, pretty much everyone in government is Christian. Pisses me off.
arctic
quote:
Originally posted by TwoPlow
Senate / House of Representatives

But yeah, pretty much everyone in government is Christian. Pisses me off.

I see, our government is probably filled with heathens condemned to eternal damnation, but to be honest it's impossible to tell, as nobody gives a crap about religion here. :p

One more question, if I may. What do you Americans see in Gridiron? Why do all the players wear huge amounts of padding, and what's with all the tackling of players who don't have the ball?

/me is confused :wtf:
DJ Mil0
quote:
Gridiron
= Football = American Football:D :D
hehe its funny im origonally from canada but i go to a british school here in rio yet i call "football" american football its jolly good :D
hardstyle
My friend from Aussy asked me if its offensive in America to call somebody sick count?

Is Australians call cool people a sick count?
Dyshein
quote:

Yes and no. Almost everybody in this country will say they are christian when asked as such, but the fact of the matter is most people barely pay lip service to it, let alone follow a christian way of life. In fact, the majority of americans only go to church about 2 or 3 times a year. Christianity is just like a little saftey blanket people have over here. (Though there are some genuinely religious people over here, don't get me wrong) But general society does not like people who are not christian, especially aethiests like me :) I could see a jew perhaps coming into an office of some sort, and I would't be surprised if there are some in small political positions, but absolutely NEVER an aethiest or any other non-christian religion.

And FYI, the whole "Freedom of religion" thing we supposedly have over here, while true to some extent, was writen with nothing more than various branches of christianity in mind, not outright other religions.
Matt Jay
quote:
Originally posted by hardstyle
My friend from Aussy asked me if its offensive in America to call somebody sick count?

replace count with c*unt :)

btw iv'e never called anyone that. But I do hear it sometimes

occrider
quote:
One more question, if I may. What do you Americans see in Gridiron? Why do all the players wear huge amounts of padding, and what's with all the tackling of players who don't have the ball?

/me is confused :wtf:

Americans like American football because once you learn the rules and get into it, there's not a minute that isn't suspensefull much like euro football and rugby I would imagine. They wear huge amounts of padding because unlike rugby, not everyone needs to be an athletic runner. Some of the linesmen are simply insanely huge and in the offchance that you are tackled by them (by being blindsided) you can get badly hurt without some padding. Essentially, the linesmen don't need pads (because they're so big) but the players who specialize in running/throwing need pads because their bodies/phsyique aren't built in the same way. As for why players without the ball are tackled, they aren't really. Oftentimes they are blocked or hit to prevent them from getting to the player with the ball.

quote:

hehee ok...this thread is inspired by the fact that my girlfriend told me that germans thought that it was wierd that americans wore white socks?? is that true...

Dunno about the Germans but the Dutch seem to have a problem with that :p

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/...2971862,00.html

quote:

As for my question, is it true that America is obsessed with religion, and that it's practically impossible for a non Christian/Jew to get elected to parliment?

It's very possible. So long as you don't live in southern states and make your religion or lack there of an issue you can get elected. At the very worst you can just pay lip service.
occrider
quote:
Originally posted by hardstyle

I think is one of the few words left that can offend people in the US ... especially chicks :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Privacy Statement