return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
40,000 U.S. Troops Have Deserted Since 2000
View this Thread in Original format
dcougar99
40,000 U.S. Troops Have Deserted Since 2000

Newsmax | August 8 2006

Since 2000, about 40,000 troops from all branches of the military have deserted, the Pentagon says.

More than half served in the Army. But the Army says numbers have decreased each year since the United States began its war on terror in Afghanistan. Those who help war resisters say desertion is more prevalent than the military has admitted.

"They lied in Vietnam with the amount of opposition to the war and they're lying now," said Eric Seitz, an attorney who represents Army Lt. Ehren Watada, the first commissioned officer to refuse deployment to the war in Iraq.

Watada is under military custody in Fort Lewis, Wash., because he refused to join his Stryker brigade when it was sent to Iraq last month. Watada said he doesn't object to war but considers the conflict in Iraq illegal. The Army has turned down his request to resign and plans to file charges against him.

A 2002 Army report says desertion is fairly constant but tends to worsen during wartime, when there's an increased need for troops and enlistment standards are more lax. They also say deserters tend to be less educated and more likely to have engaged in delinquent behavior than other troops.

Army spokesman Hilferty said the Army doesn't try to find deserters. Instead, their names are given to civilian law enforcement officers who often nab them during routine traffic stops and turn them over to the military.

Commanders then decide whether to rehabilitate or court-martial the alleged deserter. There's an incentive to rehabilitate because it costs the military an average of $38,000 to recruit and train a replacement.

LINK
Ry Diggs
no
Purple
pussies
Inconspicuous
Pathetic.
makija
that kid in your avatar is the biggest douche !
gwrmarines
We had a guy go UA a few months back and he just came back for some reason...:rolleyes:
TweeK
No disrecpect. But in previous wars....

There were fights where more than 40,000 troops died in a single days.

We should be happy things havent gone in that direction....
Inconspicuous
Separate issue
makija
still that kid is a douche
Inconspicuous
quote:
Originally posted by makija
still that kid is a douche

lol. I meant the...I think you knew, but yeah...

Theresa
Good. Perhaps people are reaizing that the reasoning behind the sham of a war is invalid and wrong. I hope the entire United States smartens up and backs out. Don't support Bush and his moronic group of administrators any more! Stand up for what you really believe in!!

I would respect the entire population of the U.S. a BAGIJILLION times more if they were to fight against their ty government, and I think it would make the rest of the world realize that it isn't the citizens of the U.S. that suck monkey balls, it's the creepo in charge.
Purple
quote:
Originally posted by TweeK
No disrecpect. But in previous wars....

There were fights where more than 40,000 troops died in a single days.

We should be happy things havent gone in that direction....

Than dont make phoney wars and send pussies to die.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement