return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Borat is lame.
View this Thread in Original format
Danny Ocean
Am i the only one who thinks this guy completely sucks goat and he's overrated like ? i haven't seen his movie, and it dosen't really catch my attention...i saw him at the Tonight Show and it just seems like he tries too hard and entertains the easily amused.
Definitely not my type of humor...but why is everyone going so nuts over him? i just don't see it. I don't think the guy deserves all the attention he's getting either, tool.
Mr.Mystery
Doesn't surprise me one bit you don't get it.
TranceGiant
In Soviet-Kazakhstan you are Borat's Vagine.
TweeK
Me and this one chick went to see the borat. The movie it self was stupid. Sure it had its funny moments but over all it wasnt all that funny like people made it seem at all.
tranceholic
he's just a entertainer
you don't like him because of the following reasons:

1) jealousy
2) jealousy
3) racist jokes
4) jealousy
5) jealousy

:eyespop:
mellow_head
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Ocean
Am i the only one who thinks this guy completely sucks goat and he's overrated like ? i haven't seen his movie, and it dosen't really catch my attention...i saw him at the Tonight Show and it just seems like he tries too hard and entertains the easily amused.
Definitely not my type of humor...but why is everyone going so nuts over him? i just don't see it. I don't think the guy deserves all the attention he's getting either, tool.

+4127, OMG ITS A HYPE, SO ACT LIKE A MONKEY!!! LOSERS!!
astroboy
quote:

He has been overhyped. And the problem with him is that he isn't funny in interviews, that's not what the character was invented for. To figure out whether you like him or not you have to see him in one of his older sketches where he interacts with people who don't know he's fake.

Cohen's satire, regardless of which particular character he is using, is effective because he plays an idiot and/or a foreigner. This forces people to cut the BS and express their beliefs in the simplest terms - kinda similar to the picaresque tradition or Huckleberry Finn. He can just ask a politician whether he thinks the Jews will go to heaven or hell and the guy gives him a straight answer because he assumes he won't understand the BS he usually shrouds it with.

The other thing Borat in particular does well is show how racism and other prejudices are as much a product of acquiescence and mob mentality as of malicious intent. Most Germans during the third reich just acquiesced to what the establishment was telling them to think.

It's like when you talk to someone about a movie they saw and they tell you they didn't really like it. Then someone else who this person thinks is super cool comes along and says "oh have you seen such and such film? It's fantastic isn't it?" and suddenly the first person turns around completely and goes "yeah it was pretty good"... Most forms of prejudice link back to that very phenomenon and The Nazi movement was just that on a massive scale. This is what Borat points out... he can be ridiculously racist or anti semitic and most people are happy to just go along with it.

But to reiterate - don't judge the comedic value of any of Cohen's characters based on their performances on chat/interview shows.
KilldaDJ
i dont find borat overly hilarious but he has his moments.

but yeh u are entitled to ur opinion.

thats all i got.
Nell
why make a new thread? you must be special
Danny Ocean
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
Doesn't surprise me one bit you don't get it.

what do you mean by that?

i said "i just don't see it". i don't get the hype, he's completely .

TranceGiant
Very well written, Astroboy!

That's Cohen's real motive which unfortunately many people don't understand when blaming him for racism and systematic defamation of a country. It could have just as well been an Albanian who hates Blacks - the purpose remains the same.

What I also admire is Cohen's unbelievable improvisation skills and his ability to stay "serious" and within his charakter in the most absurde situations. This guy must have some switch in his brain which enables him to turn off all emotions, it's just unreal.

Looking forward to the "Bruno" movie now :p
mellow_head
quote:
what do you mean by that?

i said "i just don't see it". i don't get the hype, he's completely .

He's just making meatballs.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Privacy Statement