return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
is it hard to get into ivy league
View this Thread in Original format
m o 0 g
schools if your parents didnt go to the school you're trying to get into?
MrJiveBoJingles
That depends. What is your class rank? What is your GPA? What did you make on the SAT / ACT? What extracurricular activities have you done?

If those things are not all top notch, you may have a very tough time getting in.
Vlad
You better have between a 3.5-4.0 GPA (A-/A avg) and most importantly atleast a 13-1400 on the SAT.
Marc Summers
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad
You better have between a 3.5-4.0 GPA (A-/A avg) and most importantly atleast a 13-1400 on the SAT.

They changed the scores.. Soo... 2400 is a perfect score now.

EDIT: If you're parents were alumni, or have donated it's a lot easier to get into an ivy league school
Inconspicuous
quote:
Originally posted by m o 0 g

That plays little part in it, as, if you think about it, the vast majority of people who get in to those schools are not the children of alumns. Does it help? Yes. But it's like extra credit. There are a million other things that'll have a lot more influence on whether you get in than that will. And as for SAT scores, good luck getting in with a 1300 (or whatever the equivalent is now) unless you have perfect grades and are a stand-out athlete or have logged hundreds of hours of community service.

Also, why you haven't asked somebody whose job it is to get people into college this question is beyond me. If you think you want to go to an Ivy League school (or a comparable one, as there are several that're better than some of those that carry that title), you should be talking to a counselor of some sort--whether you hire one or harass the one at your school. You've got a lot of research ahead of you.
Vlad
quote:
Originally posted by Marc Summers
They changed the scores.. Soo... 2400 is a perfect score now.

lol, damn.

They didnt change the scores, but the format of the MCAT changed also... its all computerized now, with 20 less questions in each ear, and half the time. Its torture cause you get worn the out sitting in front of a computer for 4 1/2 hrs, answering 144 questions and writing 2 essays.
guster
My ex-gf's dad had near perfect act/sat scores and applied to MIT. The only reason they turned him down was because he didn't have enough extra-curriculars.

So yeah.. be Mr. Johnny High School and join lots of if you wanna get in.
Konijn
quote:
Originally posted by m o 0 g

yes. you're looking at acceptance rates of 8% to 14% and competing with people who finished near the top percentiles of their high school cohort in grades and SAT I and II scores -- not to mention have oodles of extracurriculars.

if you're shooting for ivy and don't think you'll make the first or second ivy tiers, try the low end like cornell or penn.

you should be focusing less on the "ivyness" and more on trying to find a school that suits your needs and personality.
Vlad
quote:
Originally posted by Konijn
you should be focusing less on the "ivyness" and more on trying to find a school that suits your needs and personality.

This is VERY important... you want to be at a school that servers your interests, as well as a school that has very good campus life.
m o 0 g
this is all hypothetical, im not planning on going myself. i wanted to see if it was hard to get into if u didnt have "hook-ups"

Inconspicuous
quote:
Originally posted by Konijn
if you're shooting for ivy and don't think you'll make the first or second ivy tiers, try the low end like cornell or penn.

That brings up another point. Where you go should depend on what you want to study. Penn has the best business school in the country (and, arguably, the world), but if you want to go there for pre-med, you'd be much better off heading to someplace like Wash U. Those are just two options. There are plenty of other areas you can focus on, and top schools to correspond with each of them. Not all of them will have the Ivy League tag, either.
Slylee
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

my middle school boyfriend and pretty good friend during high school got into harvard for the above reasons and his parents didn't go there.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement