return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Other > Political Discussion / Debate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 
Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze.. (pg. 11)
View this Thread in Original format
MrSquirrel
quote:
Originally posted by daffodil
wonderfully written, creative and original book with fantastic sociological observations. i learned a lot about rabbits too.

What did you learn about rabbits? That they are a blood thirsty and maniacal lot?

:haha:

I only picked up this book when I was in HS because I remembered vividly the cartoon movie of the book that I watched when I was a young child. And how it scared the bejeezus out of me because the animals could talk and were maiming each other. Kinda like the Secret of NIMH did when my parents took us to see it in the theatre (I was 5). For some reason I was more scared by mean animals than anything. Thus I picked up Watership Down and read it, and enjoyed it on a much less visceral level (the cartoon was rather graphic for 1980s network tv). It also put to rest the fighting bunny nightmares :D

Needless to say I need to pick up a copy of the book again and see what I get out of it some 10 years later. I have been re-reading many of the books I read in high school and am amazed at the different way they touch me now than they did then.

That is the miracle of books, every time you read them they are slightly different. They are living things :toothless:

Back to my ever expanding library of books I have already read.....

MrS
occrider
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquirrel
What did you learn about rabbits? That they are a blood thirsty and maniacal lot?

:haha:

I only picked up this book when I was in HS because I remembered vividly the cartoon movie of the book that I watched when I was a young child. And how it scared the bejeezus out of me because the animals could talk and were maiming each other. Kinda like the Secret of NIMH did when my parents took us to see it in the theatre (I was 5). For some reason I was more scared by mean animals than anything. Thus I picked up Watership Down and read it, and enjoyed it on a much less visceral level (the cartoon was rather graphic for 1980s network tv). It also put to rest the fighting bunny nightmares :D

Needless to say I need to pick up a copy of the book again and see what I get out of it some 10 years later. I have been re-reading many of the books I read in high school and am amazed at the different way they touch me now than they did then.

That is the miracle of books, every time you read them they are slightly different. They are living things :toothless:

Back to my ever expanding library of books I have already read.....

MrS

Dude, I saw the cartoon of that book when I was a little kid too. Scared the crap out of me cuz all these rabbits were fighting in a war and one group of rabbits had red eyes ...

I couldn't think of the name for the longest time and a few weekends ago I accused my dad of subjecting me to that cartoon. But since I couldn't remember the name and vaguely remembered the plot, everyone thought I was crazy. Hmmm thinking about it makes me wanna see the cartoon again.
MrSquirrel
quote:
Originally posted by occrider
Dude, I saw the cartoon of that book when I was a little kid too. Scared the crap out of me cuz all these rabbits were fighting in a war and one group of rabbits had red eyes ...

I couldn't think of the name for the longest time and a few weekends ago I accused my dad of subjecting me to that cartoon. But since I couldn't remember the name and vaguely remembered the plot, everyone thought I was crazy. Hmmm thinking about it makes me wanna see the cartoon again.

Yeah it had to be a real cartoon. Unless of course we BOTH are totally off our rockers. Hmmm.

I was thinking I needed to see the cartoon again too.

Time to search for a copy on video methinks.....

MrS
tathi
i havn't read the book, but i watched the cartoon when i was a little kid

more literature influenced by Aesops Fables :)
MrSquirrel
A-HA! I have found it:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sea...393750121&itm=4

Time for me to go see if my local video store has a copy :D

MrS
Dr. Cfire
Douglas Coupland's Shampoo Planet. Takes a look into how our society uses personal apperance to determine what you know. "The hair represents what is inside the head".
occrider
The Utterly, Utterly Private and Confidential Teenage Diary of Jesus !!!!!
Trancer-X
The Corpus Hermeticum
rizen
i wouldnt recommend it, but in case you tend to get the new oreilly book, make sure you at least get a deck cards

quote:
Second, you'll love our other great bonus item: the "Deck of Weasels" – the playing cards that poke fun at the left-wing Hollywood celebrities that opposed Operation Iraqi Freedom and President Bush. The "Deck of Weasels" includes the funniest quotes from George Clooney (who predicted we would lose the war), Barbra Streisand (who said the war was the result of a conspiracy), Michael Moore, Martin Sheen, Susan Sarandon and many others.

https://www.newsmaxstore.com/nm_mag...g.cfm?refid=369

as for the magazine it self, it reminds me of MAD by looking at the covers :p
Izzy
quote:
Originally posted by rizen
i wouldnt recommend it, but in case you tend to get the new oreilly book, make sure you at least get a deck cards

https://www.newsmaxstore.com/nm_mag...g.cfm?refid=369

as for the magazine it self, it reminds me of MAD by looking at the covers :p

LOL :haha:

http://www.newsmaxstore.com/nms/sho...Product_ID=1294

you can check each card out

che
quote:
Originally posted by CortexBomb

- Crime & Punishment by Doestoevsky.

Classic that asked "Why not murder?" Doestoevsky's answer at the end doesn't ring true for a non-Christian, but it stands as a deep and interesting novel, one of my faves.

Great choice mate!!! One of my faves

On top of that anything by Noam Chomsky is good, if you're into International Policies and all that good stuff, perticularly

Washington Connection & Third World Fascism
che
quote:
Originally posted by AcerRacer
There are almost too many to list, so I'll try to keep it short.

Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

An excellent choice!!

I would also suggest Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka...a must read

Anyone like Horror Fiction?
Short Stories by H.P. Lovecraft are as good as it gets....
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 
Privacy Statement