return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Other > Political Discussion / Debate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 
Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze.. (pg. 23)
View this Thread in Original format
Trancer-X
quote:
Originally posted by me
The Grand Chessboard by Zbigniew Brzezinski

Excerpts:
quote:
It is also a fact that America is too democratic at home to be autocratic abroad. This limits the use of America's power, especially its capacity for military intimidation. Never before has a populist democracy attained international supremacy. But the pursuit of power is not a goal that commands popular passion, except in conditions of a sudden threat or challenge to the public's sense of domestic well-being. The economic self-denial (that is, defense spending) and the human sacrifice (casualties, even among professional soldiers) required in the effort are uncongenial to democratic instincts. Democracy is inimical to imperial mobilization.

(p.35)

quote:
Moreover, as America becomes an increasingly multi-cultural society, it may find it more difficult to fashion a consensus on foreign policy issues, except in the circumstance of a truly massive and widely perceived direct external threat.

(p. 211)

and also

Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and bin Laden, From the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001 - Steve Coll
d-miurge
Books I read recently:

*Pierre Bourdieu - Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste
*Luc Boltanski & Eve Chiapello - The New Spirit of Capitalism (900 pages and quite hard to read, but awesome)
occrider
This is a good stocking stuffer if you have kids: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...glance&n=283155

Ok no seriously Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell was fantastic.
Trancer-X
quote:
Originally posted by occrider
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...glance&n=283155

Nuff said.

LMFAO! Oh, noooooes - there are thought criminals under my bed, momma!

I might have to read that one just for kicks.
occrider
quote:
Ok no seriously Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell was fantastic.

Btw if anyone reads this please let me know. It's a very thought provoking book that evokes so many questions that I'm desperatly trying to find discussion groups so I can understand what other people thought about the themes Mitchell is conveying.

Curious as to what it's about?

quote:

From The Washington Post's Book World/washingtonpost.com
Marx warned us that history repeats itself: first as tragedy, then as farce. British novelist David Mitchell suggests a few more iterations: grade-B pulp thriller, creepy dystopian scifi, Hobbesian nightmare. Mitchell has already earned high praise for his previous novels, Ghostwritten (1999) and Number9Dream (2001), the latter of which was shortlisted for the Booker Prize. His latest effort, Cloud Atlas, revises Marx's quip to meet the demands of contemporary fiction. Hopscotching over centuries, Cloud Atlas likewise jumps in and out of half a dozen different styles, all of which display the author's astonishing talent for ventriloquism, and end up fitting together to make this a highly satisfying, and unusually thoughtful, addition to the expanding "puzzle book" genre.

Novels whose plots hinge on intricate puzzles -- e.g., The Da Vinci Code and The Rule of Four -- are all the rage these days, but the puzzle of Cloud Atlas isn't in the book, it is the book. What appears at first glance to be a novel is in fact six novellas whose interrelatedness is only hinted at during the book's first half, then revealed fully and splendidly after the book's middle, which is really the book's end. Confused? You're supposed to be, at least for a little while: It's from this starting point of dislocation that Mitchell begins a virtuosic round trip through the strata of history and causality, exploring the permanence of man's inhumanity to man and the impermanence of what we have come to call civilization.

Mitchell begins his chronology of our fall from grace with a character named Adam, naturally. "The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing" presents us with the diary of a seafaring 1850s American notary, killing time on the Chatham Islands off New Zealand as he waits for his homeward ship to set sail. Engaging in the amateur anthropology of the visitor, the morally upright Ewing struggles to square his belief in the civilizing, beneficent aspects of colonialism with what he sees before him, "that casual brutality lighter races show the darker." He also befriends an English doctor who diagnoses Ewing with a rare, brain-destroying disease, and who begins treating the American immediately with a cocktail of powerful drugs.

Then, in mid-sentence, Mitchell whisks us away from the scene, and suddenly we are reading the letters of one Robert Frobisher, a charmingly louche, happily bisexual British composer of the 1930s whose tendency to skip out on hotel bills has finally caught up with him. As he recounts his ambitious plan to evade creditors and gain hitherto elusive fame by exploiting an elderly maestro, we merrily follow his rake's progress and almost forget the plight of poor Adam Ewing -- until, that is, Frobisher mentions in passing that he has serendipitously found and read one-half of a bound copy of Ewing's journal. (The second half is damnably missing.) Shortly thereafter, we take our leave of Frobisher just as abruptly as we were introduced to him, and Mitchell drops us down in 1970s California, at the opening chapter of a crime-fiction potboiler whose heroine, a plucky magazine journalist named Luisa Rey, is on the verge of uncovering a nefarious conspiracy.

And so it goes, again and again: a cycle of starts and stops that vectors through past, present and future, linked by buried clues and the twin refrains of deceit and exploitation. What all these stories have in common is that each draws its lifeblood from the same heart of darkness. Cloud Atlas is a work of fiction, ultimately, about the myriad misuses of fiction: the seductive lies told by grifters, CEOs, politicians and others in the service of expanding empires and maintaining power. Soon we meet Timothy Cavendish, the curmudgeonly editor of a London vanity press, who is tricked into incarceration by his vengeful brother. We meet a wise, world-weary clone from 22nd-century Korea, where hypercapitalism and biotechnology have fused into absolute tyranny. And finally, in post-apocalypse Hawaii, we meet a storyteller who enthralls his listeners with the tale of a suspicious visitor from a far-off land, echoing the account of Adam Ewing that opens the book.

At this point the novel's action rapidly reverses course, going back through time and picking up the abandoned narrative threads, weaving them together to craft a fascinating meditation on civilization's insatiable appetites. Even Mitchell's characters seem to voice uncertainty about their creator's grand plan. "Revolutionary or gimmicky? Shan't know until it's finished," admits Frobisher of his own "Cloud Sextet," a musical composition whose ambitious six-part structure mirrors the novel's. And Cavendish, the editor from the old school, has his qualms, too: "I disapprove of flashbacks, foreshadowings, and tricksy devices; they belong in the 1980s with M.A.s in postmodernism and chaos theory," he harrumphs.

But sometimes novels filled with big ideas require equally big mechanisms for relaying them, and it's hard to imagine an idea bigger than the one Mitchell is tackling here: how the will to power that compels the strong to subjugate the weak is replayed perpetually in a cycle of eternal recurrence. Rarely has the all-encompassing prefix of "metafiction" seemed so apposite. Here is not only the academic pessimism of Marx, Hobbes and Nietzsche but also the frightening portents of Aldous Huxley and the linguistic daring of Anthony Burgess. Here, too, are Melville's maritime tableaux, the mordant satire of Kingsley Amis and, in the voice of Robert Frobisher -- Mitchell's most poignant and fully realized character -- the unmistakable ghost of Paul Bowles. Here is a veritable film festival of unembarrassed cinematic references and inspirations, from "Soylent Green" to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" to "The Graduate" to the postwar comedies of England's Ealing Studios. Here is an obviously sincere affection for the oft-maligned genres of mystery, science fiction and fantasy.

All of these influences, and countless others, gel into a work that nevertheless manages to be completely original. More significantly, the various pieces of David Mitchell's mysterious puzzle combine to form a haunting image that stays with the reader long after the book has been closed. Cloud Atlas ought to make him famous on both sides of the Atlantic as a writer whose fearlessness is matched by his talent.

Reviewed by Jeff Turrentine
Copyright 2004, The Washington Post Co. All Rights Reserved.

Just very well written, thought provoking, and imaginative. Defintely something to read twice to understand the linkages of character and theme between each story. Who would have thought coming from a brit? :p
Trancer-X
quote:
Btw if anyone reads this please let me know. It's a very thought provoking book that evokes so many questions that I'm desperatly trying to find discussion groups so I can understand what other people thought about the themes Mitchell is conveying.

Just very well written, thought provoking, and imaginative. Who would have thought coming from a brit? :p

I'm working on two at the moment, but that one looks so damn amazing that I might actually have to whip out my big ole'

bookmark. :tongue2 Seriously, though - that looks excellent!
Trancer-X
quote:
Who would have thought coming from a brit? :p

Yeah, well... Huxley was the man, though. He was a beacon of light to me and he was a Brit.
occrider
quote:
Originally posted by Trancer-X
I'm working on two at the moment, but that one looks so damn amazing that I might actually have to whip out my big ole'

bookmark. :tongue2 Seriously, though - that looks excellent!

Yea ... I admit I didn't really get into it until the 2nd or 3rd novella but once you do it's hard to put down. Especially once you start guessing at how everything links together. It's wonderous how Mitchell is able go through 6 different writing styles that seem to be completely independant from one another yet flawlessly integrate a consistent theme that differs ever so slightly. Personally I think you would enjoy the Orison of Somni-451. It's a brilliant criticism of cognitive obvliviousness/acceptance of capitalistic slavery (corpocracy ;) ). I enjoyed this part the most. Mitchell does such an excellent job of conveying dsytopian reality ... I shall take my ford to the opera ... pose for a kodak will you! What makes this book fun is tying together and identifying the same thematic elements as you go from age to age by novella to novella. They're almost identical but each adds a little bit more to consider. The part I like the best is the semi-hidden message/insiniuation the end. Describing it will reveal spoilers so if you're intrigued about the book read it and pm me.
Trancer-X
quote:
Yea ... I admit I didn't really get into it until the 2nd or 3rd novella but once you do it's hard to put down. Especially once you start guessing at how everything links together. It's wonderous how Mitchell is able go through 6 different writing styles that seem to be completely independant from one another yet flawlessly integrate a consistent theme that differs ever so slightly. Personally I think you would enjoy the Orison of Somni-451. It's a brilliant criticism of cognitive obvliviousness/acceptance of capitalistic slavery (corpocracy ;) ). I enjoyed this part the most. Mitchell does such an excellent job of conveying dsytopian reality ... I shall take my ford to the opera ... pose for a kodak will you! What makes this book fun is tying together and identifying the same thematic elements as you go from age to age by novella to novella. They're almost identical but each adds a little bit more to consider. The part I like the best is the semi-hidden message/insiniuation the end. Describing it will reveal spoilers so if you're intrigued about the book read it and pm me.

Awesome, man. Thanks!
Trancer-X
quote:
Originally posted by shaolin_Z
For those of you interested in Islamic history, PBS made a three part documentary which is actually pretty informative:

Islam: Empire of Faith

I just downloaded it and am going to try to find some time to watch it tonight.

Understanding is definitely the key to peaceful cohabitation amongst our world's ethnically and ideologically diverse populations. I think it's very sad how we spend so much money to wage wars but so little actually engaging in diplomacy.

shaolin_Z
quote:
I just downloaded it and am going to try to find some time to watch it tonight.

Cool, let me know what you think.

quote:
Understanding is definitely the key to peaceful cohabitation amongst our world's ethnically and ideologically diverse populations. I think it's very sad how we spend so much money to wage wars but so little actually engaging in diplomacy.[/color]

Agreed. :)
Trancer-X
quote:
Originally posted by shaolin_Z
Cool, let me know what you think.

Agreed. :)

I watched all three parts the other night. I was very impressed! Given my original Christian upbringing, my knowledge was devoid of most of that Muslim history.

I was very impressed by the vast and rich history which that documentary covered, as well as the fact that the European Renaissance was so greatly inspired by Muslim science and knowledge - something which I don't think I had ever really learned in school.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 
Privacy Statement