return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Microsoft offers CD copy limits !
View this Thread in Original format
LiquidXtrance
Mm I found this pretty interesting, yet a bit scaring article at www.cnn.com

Microsoft offers CD copy limits

Report: New software allows record companies to limit music reproduction.
January 20, 2003: 6:32 AM EST

NEW YORK (Dow Jones Newswires) - In a development that could signal new limits on copying of store-bought music, Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) has come up with software tools that let recording companies restrict unauthorized reproduction and sharing of music compact discs, Monday's Wall Street Journal reported.

Two major recording companies -- Vivendi Universal SA's Universal Music Group and EMI Group PLC -- said they are experimenting with Microsoft technology for possible use on CDs by popular music artists.

Microsoft's move, announced during the weekend at the Midem music conference in Cannes, France, comes in response to a push by movie studios and recording companies to combat piracy of songs and motion pictures through the Internet and devices such as CD recorders. The music industry saw CD sales fall 7% during the first half of last year, a decline recording companies blame on Internet piracy and CD recording.

Music companies have already released CDs that block copying of any sort on a PC, prompting an outcry from some listeners. Microsoft's technology could find wider use as it gives recording companies finer control over copying by users, permitting limited duplicates in some cases. The software can also be used on DVDs to protect movies.

For music lovers accustomed to unfettered use of CDs, the technology could mean a big adjustment. Microsoft's software is designed to be used with software from other companies such as SunnComm Inc. that prevents songs on conventional music CDs, known as "red book " audio, from being copied onto a PC, while allowing them to be played in ordinary home and car stereos. The Microsoft software will let recording companies add a second batch of songs and other digital files to CDs, called a "second session, " that PC users will be permitted to copy to their machines.

Those second-session songs, however, can be programmed with a variety of limitations, including blocks that prevent recording onto CDs or sharing over Internet file-swapping services. Using the Microsoft software, music companies can permit users to e-mail songs to friends, but only with degraded sound quality or expiration dates that make the songs unplayable after a certain date.

Music companies say they plan on working with a variety of software companies to combat piracy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:wtf:
sothis
i bought a cybertrance cd over in japan (put out by club velfarre) and it has this ing copy protection on it.

it wouldnt bother me except that not only can you not copy, but when you try to play the cd on your computer, it opens up its own miniplayer which plays at a CRAP quality. this upsets me because i do not have a stereo, only my computer, and i cant even listen to my own ing cd that i BOUGHT.

i still havent found a way around it.. ive tried a bunch of methods. god ing dammit.
Wicked Neo

Record companies are also implementing another kind of copy protection on promo cdr's and promo cd's.

this is a digital signurture embedded in the audio.
what it means is each promo cdr or cd sent to individiuals will have a different digital sig in the audio, meaning if one of these promo cds is encoded to MP3 and shared over the net, the unique digital sig is also in the mp3.
that means the record companies can DL the mp3 and decode the digital sig and find out out which person on its promo list copied the track to MP3.
thereby being able to prosecute the said person.

nrjizer
When will these s learn? The only totally copy protected CD is one that doesnt ing play. How hard is it to figure out?

If I can play it, I can capture the signal and record it in my luxury. It just takes one person to do it and spread it across the web. You want to screw me and give me a ty product that wont play where I want it to? Ill ing download your . Not that I listen to any of the schlock that the RIAA puts out...

Edit: heres an interesting idea I read on slashdot. If you buy a copy protected CD that doesnt work in your computer or car or old-gen CD players, sue the person who sold it to you for fraud. Not the store itself, but the actual minimum wage behind the counter who sold it to you. Take it to civil court, try to get a few hundred bucks or something. Go to the jury and show them the CD, asking them what they think it is. Naturally they will say its a CD. Then ask them "well shouldnt it then play in a CD player?" The defendent will naturally protest that he was just doing his job, that if he refused to sell such an item he would get fired. But that wont make any difference. If it has the Compact Disc logo on it, you would have expected it to work in any cd player, and when it didnt, you were defrauded. You will most likely win. Dont feel bad for screwing the minimum wage peon though, he will turn around and counter-sue his employer for forcing him to sell fraudulent items. The store manager/employer will turn around and sue the entire franchise (Best Buy, Walmart, whatever store he runs) for making him put items on stock and telling his peons to sell them. Then the franchise will sue the CD makers and the record labels for trying to make them sell fraudulent items. Kind of like when they blow up the death star in Star Wars, start from the top (or in this case, the bottom) and work your way in.
Arbiter
What a joke...

I find it hard to believe that music piracy costs these companies more money than the money they waste on these kinds of half-assed anti-piracy schemes which no respectable analyst could give the slightest chance of success.
a-aplz
lol...why bother caring? look at everything that have released hoping that it would stop piracy...and where are we today? sitting at home in our snuggley littles chairs listening to mp3s that were ripped off cds that appearently had cd protection! theres a way around everything, and it takes secons to find out. mthe most easiest way would have to be play the cd in your regular cd player, and as nrjizer said, "if i can play it, i can capture the signal and record it in my luxury"..meaning pop it in your cd player, use a set of RCA cables and run it from the A/V jacks to the sound card, and record..la de da you have evaded the protection. now, what if it wont play? like nrjizer also mentioned in his edit, you can sue the kid who sold it to you. and if all else fails, we still have vinyls, and i highly doubt they will end up having protection. :) so no matter what they put out, i personally guarentee it will be 'evaded'..if not you can slap me in the face. ;>
Tsunami One
it will be broken. nothing is 100% protected.
Harri
quote:
it will be broken. nothing is 100% protected.

For example.. take microsoft and thier "uncrackable" windows XP...

ha ha, didnt last long.

There is always someone smarter out there.
sothis
ok, then those of you who are saying its possible, tell me how to get past this so i can listen to my own cd on my own computer? you cant browse the tracks. ive tried using clone cd, nero, a few other programs. ive tried opening it winmedia automatically, winamp, blah blah blah

nothing works. if i was just to record what it sounds like when it plays, it wouldnt work because its played at a CRAPPY quality level on their built in player.
jinxed84
i hate the RIAA..such a bunch of morons, just let me proceed with my illegal activities and leave me the f*ck alone.

the funniest thing ive heard about the copy protection was when one company released copy protected cds and some guy got around it by tracing along the edge of the CD witha sharpie...copy protection gone, probably $millions of R&D wasted...fools.

like people have said, as long as you put it on a cd for us, we will copy it and screw you :) its gonna suck when they stop making cds though :sadgreen: :nervous: and move to copy protected mp3 bull...ehh we'll just have to play those and record back to CDR :crazy:

edit: sothis about that CD just buy a crappy ass CD player and a line out to line in cable from like radioshack. if you have a decent soundcard you can record to wav or mp3 and then youre set. maybe 25 bucks total if you get a cheap ass cd player which is all you need in this case. sucks though that you have to go through that crap when you bought the damn thing. maybe that helps i dunno

drizzt81
quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Neo

Record companies are also implementing another kind of copy protection on promo cdr's and promo cd's.

this is a digital signurture embedded in the audio.
what it means is each promo cdr or cd sent to individiuals will have a different digital sig in the audio, meaning if one of these promo cds is encoded to MP3 and shared over the net, the unique digital sig is also in the mp3.
that means the record companies can DL the mp3 and decode the digital sig and find out out which person on its promo list copied the track to MP3.
thereby being able to prosecute the said person.

adn the sig does survive the encoding process?
drizzt81
quote:
Originally posted by sothis
i still havent found a way around it.. ive tried a bunch of methods. god ing dammit.

CloneCD?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement