return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Yet Another Subway Jumper
View this Thread in Original format
E*Master
Just got an email passed around at work of the terrible news that some dude jumped on the tracks at Islington Station (Right in front of my building) & was run over . Why do People Commit suicide this way? I always find this sad. That is a Horrible way to die and a Horrible way to tie up TTC traffic. I feel sorry for the Subway conductor as well. That's gotta be traumatic
Skipper
It happens more often than you think...but why was there an email being circulated about it at your work?
Crazy Serb
Why they do it?

Most likely they cannot take another hit by Britney Spears being released to the general public, say they've had enough and hit the tracks...
Floorwhore
I feel more sorry for the people (especially children) that have to witness such a horrific sight.
arek
SUBWAY SAFETY

Massive delays in service on the Toronto subway system are often caused by suicides – people jumping in front of moving trains at stations. This is increasing at an alarming rate and needs to be addressed. Toronto is currently constructing suicide barriers along both sides of the Prince Edward Viaduct on Bloor Street East, over the Don Valley, to prevent people from jumping off the bridge. However, a much larger rate of suicides is happening on the subway, and measures to prevent this are not being considered by Toronto City Council.

If the need for a suicide barrier is based on statistical data (100 suicides in the last 10 years, 32 suicides in 1998 and 1999), then Toronto City Council should be opening the debate for suicide prevention at the TTC, particularly when it is common knowledge that the suicide numbers in the subway are considerably higher than the Prince Edward Viaduct on Bloor Street East.
E*Master
quote:
Originally posted by Skipper
It happens more often than you think...but why was there an email being circulated about it at your work?

To warn people of taking an alternate route home. Many of us here rely on public transit as parking here is killer
starsearcher
quote:

Yeah I've read some statistic where it said that there's something like once a week that someone jumps infront of the train :nervous:
DancingQueen169
^^^Once a week?? OMG......I can't even imagine....the poor people who have to witness such a horrific thing.
Crazy Serb
quote:
Originally posted by DancingQueen169
^^^Once a week?? OMG......I can't even imagine....the poor people who have to witness such a horrific thing.

yeah, and all the poor people that are stuck in subway waiting until the things clear up... damn idiots can't go overdose on pills or something, but they have to up our lives too.
dEsidEL
quote:
Originally posted by arek
SUBWAY SAFETY

Massive delays in service on the Toronto subway system are often caused by suicides – people jumping in front of moving trains at stations. This is increasing at an alarming rate and needs to be addressed. Toronto is currently constructing suicide barriers along both sides of the Prince Edward Viaduct on Bloor Street East, over the Don Valley, to prevent people from jumping off the bridge. However, a much larger rate of suicides is happening on the subway, and measures to prevent this are not being considered by Toronto City Council.

If the need for a suicide barrier is based on statistical data (100 suicides in the last 10 years, 32 suicides in 1998 and 1999), then Toronto City Council should be opening the debate for suicide prevention at the TTC, particularly when it is common knowledge that the suicide numbers in the subway are considerably higher than the Prince Edward Viaduct on Bloor Street East.

i dunno if a suicide barrier would help like the one on the viaduct.. i mean if someone really wants to commit suicide , they're gonna find a way weather it be on the subway or not ..

i recall Ryanm telling me once as well that most of the "power outages" that you hear about on the TTC are usually the result of someone jumping onto the tracks, the conductor and driver on the train usually has the ability to cut the power in the station to stop the train and avoid having the person electrocuted..

Skipper
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Serb
yeah, and all the poor people that are stuck in subway waiting until the things clear up... damn idiots can't go overdose on pills or something, but they have to up our lives too.

tell me you're being sarcastic, and not just an insensitive bastard.
trancechaos
quote:
tell me you're being sarcastic, and not just an insensitive bastard.

nah i kind of agree with him, its not being insensitive its just being angry at the thoughtlessness of those that end it in that manner.

its tragic that someone has to die, but why do it in a way that will inconvenience the public and traumatise multiple people, not only does it disturb the transport system but think of the mess that has to be cleaned up and the people that have to pick up the body parts(no chance will the body remain in one piece).
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement