return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Chord Progression in Epic/Anthem/Progressive Trance
View this Thread in Original format
brucelee6783
Looking under "Tutorials in all shapes and sizes"
I see some generic info about chord progressions
from "music theory", but I don't see any specific
information about Trance chord progression...

Is this something you have to figure out alone?
Or can it be taught?

Thanks in advance.
krivi
there is no formula,just experiment,but i'll give you a few tips: minor scales are mostly used in trance,in every scale you have available chords(I,II...) . trance is usually made by combining these chords,mostly used are I,III,V,VI,you can add some 7s,
but as i said there is no formula...
use search function we discussed a lot about this before...
brucelee6783
"TA's search function will be down for a little while."

That's why I didn't bother with it.
gr8ape
Try a progression like start with a minor chord, then 2 more minor or major chords then 7th, which is the 7th dominant of the first minor chord.....and they have to follow themselves......hope you understand..prolly not jsut be creative, start with like A minor and play around and find somthing that sounds cool

like ummm A minor then D minor ,B diminished, E 7th, and then back to A
has a classical feel...
tripudio
This may help with chord progessions :)

krivi
this chart helps a lot..thanx
Derivative
that chord chart is probably the worst way to learn about chord theory. no terms are defined so it looks totally abstract. it isnt specified why 5ths resolve nicely (answer: because '5' chords only consist of the root note and the major 3rd, which will allow both minor and major scales from the root to be played over the chord - '5' chords are tonally ambiguous)

also, the harmonic degree uses the same numbering scheme as each note from the root in a scale spanning 1 octave and yet it makes no mention of any of the scales at all. it also doesnt tell you why and how chords become: minor, major, suspended, augmented or diminished and doesnt mention the difference between dominant and major chords. it just tells you what keys to press.

it just seems like a bizaare way to show people how chords resolve - its really confusing and nothing is defined. my advice is to learn the theory on your own initiative (grade music tuition/teach yourself from a book like Total Guitar by Ted Burrows [ISBN: 1-84222-837-4] etc etc) and not to bother with 'short cuts' like this. in the long run, this type of thing will do more to complicate your knowledge of music theory.
DigiNut
^ Not to mention that they aren't even good progressions.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to know of any good books on jazz/soul/funk chords and progressions would you? So far all I've been able to find are worthless cookbook tutorials and most of them use guitar tabs instead of conventional notation. :rolleyes:
GreenLight
Well Guys ... I seem lately to be having a problem with my Chords as well ... I have a Powerbook G4 Laptop Running OSX.4 in Sync with My Windows Based Production Computer ... on that note, I decided to check out the apple site to see if there were any cool little programs they always have to help me out with this ... sure nough they did ...

now I know alot if not all of you guys use windows based Pc's to produce ( So do I mainly) but I found two programs that are going to help me out alot with this ...

Here are the links to the Programs, and you'll have to do the research to see if they're available for Windows ... other than that ... take a look ... After using these im pretty convinced that My Chord Progressions will grow ... Long as I can Think Of the Sound, Im good to go ...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco...hordphobia.html

http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco...implechord.html
Derivative
quote:
Hey, you wouldn't happen to know of any good books on jazz/soul/funk chords and progressions would you? So far all I've been able to find are worthless cookbook tutorials and most of them use guitar tabs instead of conventional notation.

unfortunately not - the sad truth is that a good majority of published resources on jazz and funk are, to use your words 'tutorial cookbooks.' usually they come in 2 varieties - ones that are stupidly hard to follow, and ones that simplify it to the point where you dont really get a good feel for the style.

the whole point of it is that there isnt any 'typical' patterns of music in jazz. none that you cant find by transcribing the work of other jazz artists. also, theres so many styles of jazz from the classical type to really chaotic live improvisations. some of which you can barely call music. but jazz is pretty freeform as far as music goes. at least, theoretically. its hard to really do a step by step for something like that. all you need to know is the basic idea - the theoretical framework - then you just go nuts with it and see what direction you can take it.

the most i learned about jazz was from one of my ex dorm mates in uni - he was into pat metheny and had a pretty sweet electric setup - lovetone with these smooth jazz strings modified with a roland guitar synth. i used to take my acoustic next door and we would do overdubs on pat metheny records and/or try to figure out what he was doing. i consider that experience better than any book - first time id ever had to improvise with other people and i got the key changes wrong quite alot (and im really slow at sight reading). but thats one thing that took me by suprise, the number of key changes in most of the jazz he had was insane. many songs were in bizaare guitar tunings and we only figured them out in certain tracks because of the natural harmonics he was using (only possible with retuning).

in conclusion, i guess the most you can learn about jazz is to get together with some other musicians, roll a doobie, amp yourself up and see what happens :/

DigiNut
Unfortunately I don't know any jazz musicians here... plus, I don't play guitar, and I can't really take my piano on the road. :p

It's the theoretical framework that I've been trying to learn; jazz music definitely does not follow any of the classical principles of harmony or counterpoint so I was assuming it followed some other principles.

Oh well... maybe one of these days I'll take a course on it. Some of those are supposed to be decent.
RIPassion
I've been a jazz drumer (among other styles) for a while now, and two of my teachers have learned at the University of North Texas (Jazz school; very venerable), which I'd be willing to bet has a nice website with some helpful ways to get you started. :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Privacy Statement