return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Going back to school after 4 years of taking no classes...
View this Thread in Original format
Nerologic
Anyone have some advice?

I start back the local JC in a few weeks, I was fortunate enough to have the option of returning to UCSD but due to the times I will go to my local JC.

I am pretty much going to retake calc 2nd a physics class and take classes that are transferable but not very hard for my first semester back. The next semester i am going to load up a full hard schedule.

I haven't been in a classroom for a few years. I KNOW I am going to be very rusty and everything is going to be challenging going back.

Anyone been there and have some pointers to give me?
Silky Johnson
It's really not that big of a deal. Read your course syllabuses and know the course expectations, and stay organized. Young students are pretty much annoying s with little to no respect, so sit at the front of the class where you'll be more likely to hear the lectures.

Try to do as much for yourself as you can. People who expect everything to be spoon fed to them/don't take the time to figure out on their own are goddamn annoying as hell, and it wastes a lot of class time.
Theresa
quote:
Originally posted by jennypie
Young students are pretty much annoying s with little to no respect, so sit at the front of the class where you'll be more likely to hear the lectures.

+23948203984098 to this. I learned that the hard way.

Write down all of your due dates and try to spread the work out over evenly, keep up with your readings, and don't slack. If you focus, you will be fine.
Silky Johnson
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa
Write down all of your due dates and try to spread the work out over evenly, keep up with your readings, and don't slack. If you focus, you will be fine.

Yep. First thing I always do every year is write down when assignments are due in both my student planner and on my calendar.
R!CH
take notes. writing new knowledge down allows you to retain it much better than just listening or reading. ask just enough questions for the professor to remember you in a good way. when it comes to turning in assignments late, arguing the ambiguity of a test question you got wrong, or getting an a- instead of a b+, it really does help.
Domesticated
Don't try to hard to get along with the young kids because you feel old. They will see right through it.
Theresa
quote:
Originally posted by Domesticated
Don't try to hard to get along with the young kids because you feel old. They will see right through it.

If you look young and they can't tell you're older, don't even bother saying anything. They will treat you differently when they know you are old... so be prepared for that.
R!CH
just try to pork the young ones, but strap up.
Silky Johnson
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa
If you look young and they can't tell you're older, don't even bother saying anything. They will treat you differently when they know you are old... so be prepared for that.

Lol, I dunno about that. Maybe it's just my program (always lots of older students in nursing)...but nobody gives a .
Theresa
quote:
Originally posted by jennypie
Lol, I dunno about that. Maybe it's just my program (always lots of older students in nursing)...but nobody gives a .

I can get away with looking like I am 18, so most people have no idea that I am older. But in passing, I made comments about graduating from College and working for a travel agency and people put 2 and 2 together and figured out I wasn't 18. They treat me a little differently now (like I am the older, wiser one who can help them with all of their problems), which is ok I guess, but I would rather just be one of the girls.

Nerologic
Well i am 27 but i do look younger when i shave haha.

As far as other students, I am not worried much since most of my classes are one that the median age is 20+ not high schoolers. They are not really entry level, more serious classes per say.

Anyone have tips on note taking?

I take ty notes, and my hand writting is hard to understand myself, :(
Silky Johnson
I don't usually take notes, but if your texts have chapter quizzes/exercises, it's always helpful to do those.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Privacy Statement