return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Moving to the US....
View this Thread in Original format
Jackson
So basically I designed an experiment for one of my modules for my degree and contacted some experts in the field to see if said topic had been studied - long story short I have the potential to do a PhD either based in the UK or with NOAA in North Carolina.

I'm am really stuck with what to do. All my friends, family are here and I know nobody in that area of the states.

My questions are: have any of you taken a huge move like this before? And also, what is North Carolina like? Living costs etc.
Chris Crossland
quote:
Originally posted by Jackson
So basically I designed an experiment for one of my modules for my degree and contacted some experts in the field to see if said topic had been studied - long story short I have the potential to do a PhD either based in the UK or with NOAA in North Carolina.

I'm am really stuck with what to do. All my friends, family are here and I know nobody in that area of the states.

My questions are: have any of you taken a huge move like this before? And also, what is North Carolina like? Living costs etc.

Just don't move to Jacksonville.
Chris Crossland
Or near any Marine Corps base...
Moongoose
North pole, North Vietnam, North Korea, North Carolina... theres a pattern there. Avoid places with north in their names.
Lira
How's your kidney? That's the only reason to stay, I guess. Well, that and Ashleigh, but this is something you need to work out between the two of you.
quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
North pole, North Vietnam, North Korea, North Carolina... theres a pattern there. Avoid places with north in their names.

:stongue:
The17sss
quote:
Originally posted by Jackson

What up dude. I live in Charlotte, NC right now... been here for 3.5 years and previously did 4 years of undergrad college in NC in my earlier days.

If you choose the NOAA location in NC, I assume it's by the coast? Anyway, to help calm any fears of a potential move, I was born in Boston and lived there till I was 8, and since then I've spent a total of 17 years in Florida and about 8 in North Carolina. So I've been around the block on the east coast of the U.S.

I'm a Florida guy at heart, but you can't go wrong living in NC for several reasons. Now, the coast is pretty boring unless you're going to school at UNC Wilmington, but you'll be working on a PhD anyway so boredom and being a workaholic fits into the equation as expected. The cost of living here is cheap, property taxes are cheap, and you'd be in a good location: maybe 2 hours from the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill technology corridor, very close to Myrtle Beach (South Carolina), 4 hours or so from Charlotte, and if you wanted to get away for a few days you're basically an hour plane flight from Florida, Atlanta, or D.C.

Most importantly: the weather is great- you won't experience seasonal depression being cold as balls half the year and seeing the sun for even less like in the U.K. And the chicks should be much better if you're going to be near the beach where hoards of them go to vacation. The beaches themselves are nice too... not all rocky like in the U.K.

Obviously I'm slightly biased, but I've been to the U.K. too.
Boomer187
moved from michigan to las vegas and I knew nobody which was a huge change. Its fine, just concentrate on the degree and everything will fall into place.
Lilith
I buy all my car parts from Concord NC. They're very friendly because they get all my spare money :(
Orbital32
I lived in North Carolina for 4 years. Think of every thing you love...now forget about it. It's not in North Carolina. I'm orginally from Los Angeles. I have never felt humidity like the east coast. Worst feeling in the world. It's a big change.

The17sss
quote:
Originally posted by Lilith
I buy all my car parts from Concord NC. They're very friendly because they get all my spare money :(

Haha. Concord is def the place to buy automotive parts.

quote:
Originally posted by Orbital32
I lived in North Carolina for 4 years. Think of every thing you love...now forget about it. It's not in North Carolina. I'm orginally from Los Angeles. I have never felt humidity like the east coast. Worst feeling in the world. It's a big change.

lol... I guess NC humidity feels like nothing to me after spending so much time in FL.

fbgdavidson
I moved from the UK to the US (VA, so in your neck of the woods) when I was 21. What do you need to know?
Spacey Orange
Whether its a good idea depends upon your long term goals. Need more info for a better response. Where do you want to work? Have a family? Etc.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement