return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Being honest is stupid... "Cool story, bro" Time
View this Thread in Original format
aNYthing
So, my mom finds a 3G 64GB iPad at an airport - score! Well, she's not computer savvy, besides iPad is locked, so she gives it to me.

After pangs of hmf pmf... the decent person in me tells me to try and find the owner. So, there's a picture frame button and boy, did this dude have a lot of pictures! Grandkids, baby christenings, golf outings, totally dull and boring - not even a glimps of one babe in a bikini. The most exciting thing on there was an accidental shot of some middle-aged lady's rack. By that point, I was ready to just wipe the damn thing and claim it as my own.

Then, I catch a glimpse of some company outing with a cake bearing company name. Googles to the resque, I find company website. And convenienty, there's "About Us" section with more unremarkable pictures, luckily with some captions. Among them, I spot the owner searing my retinas from countless images I saw earlier. Now I got a name and phone number. Receptionist was kind enough to provide guy's number - I get his VM.

By that point I realize I went through more trouble than it is worth to re-unite this iPad with its rightful owner... but Karma Police is watching and keeping score.

About 10 minutes later, guy calls me - COMPLETELY NON-CHALANT, like it was going to happen! I even offer to meet him 1/2 from where he is (about a 40 mile drive) - and he is like "oh, I got meetings tonight, can't blah blah", so I say - well, whatever. You know where your iPad is, call when you're available, come by pick it up.

I'm sitting there - dumb founded. In perhaps the biggest act of personal generosity and good samaritan deeds of my life... lands on someone who's a)Looks loaded b)Too friggin busy to re-claim his own property on time that's convenient for me and c) I'm now looking to ship the damn thing to him.

Am I crazy or what? Yeah, I know that most folks would keep it and not even bat an eye, GPS tracking and (completely useless) Apple's MobileMe be damned. But in such a world, doesn't it stand to reason that random acts of kindeness are to be met with just a tad more enthusiasm? A simple "Hey, thanks for making my day a little better" or "Wow, not all people are dishonest jerks" would be nice.

In the end, dude did offer to meet me and give me some money... but I'm not driving 40 miles each way for what I suspect a $50 reward. I'll just ship it and call it a day... Gah.
Halcyon+On+On
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by aNYthing
Am I crazy or what? Yeah, I know that most folks would keep it

Humbug, you don't know this. You imagine this is true because this thought crossed your mind and we tend to think other people are less noble than we are, but "we" don't want to be like "them". So,

• You did what you thought was right;
  • You can't know what others would do... nor should it matter

You did what you thought should be done. His reaction, or the reaction of others who never touched this iPad for that matter, is irrelevant. You decided what kind of person you are, and what kind of attitude you want for yourself.

And, if you really want to know, I'd do the same thing.
david.michael
That's what you get when you Think Different.
aNYthing
quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On

Dags. You like dags?
igottaknow
kinda what lira said, you do what you think is right the rest is immaterial. your expectations of the owner were unrealistic and inaccurate. not chastising you, we all do this. we expecting someone to react the way we would.

I would have said you can pick it up or send me $20 and I'll ship it back to you.
aNYthing
quote:
Originally posted by david.michael
That's what you get when you Think Different.

I've bought and returned iPad 3 times. You can tell how much I care for the device and how "Magical" it is.

The mere thought of having to install iTunes just to wipe it was enough for me to look hard for the owner. :toothless
Capitalizt
KilldaDJ
well done, you are better person nao.
Swamper
At least you did the right thing :)

On New Years I was at a club with some friends and there, in a packed club of thousands, was a purse at my feet. It wasn't any of the girls in the group so I find a phone in there and then find the most recent texts/#s dialed and text them to say the purse is lost and it's at the club and to text me at my # if they want it. 10 mins later I get a reply but the chick took her sweet ass time... another 15 mins or so.. and then was like omg thanks and then she left. lol

Same club, Halloween last year, stupid me put my phone on the urinal (cuz my costume made pockets hard to access) and went I went back in 2 mins later it was gone. I figured I'd never see it again but that morning got a call from a friend saying some guy had my phone, lived near me, and I could go pick it up! SCORE! I even offered the guy $$ and he wouldn't take it.

c0r summary: do the right thing n00bs

david.michael
quote:
I've bought and returned iPad 3 times. You can tell how much I care for the device and how "Magical" it is.

The mere thought of having to install iTunes just to wipe it was enough for me to look hard for the owner. :toothless

I actually am not an Apple-basher. I'm an avid Macbook Pro fan. I just couldn't resist the play on words, as unimpressive as it was. :)

Also, just out of curiosity... why did you buy an iPad 3 times before determining that you didn't really want it? lol.
The17sss
quote:

About 10 minutes later, guy calls me - COMPLETELY NON-CHALANT, like it was going to happen! I even offer to meet him 1/2 from where he is (about a 40 mile drive) - and he is like "oh, I got meetings tonight, can't blah blah", so I say - well, whatever. You know where your iPad is, call when you're available, come by pick it up.

I'm sitting there - dumb founded. In perhaps the biggest act of personal generosity and good samaritan deeds of my life... lands on someone who's a)Looks loaded b)Too friggin busy to re-claim his own property on time that's convenient for me and c) I'm now looking to ship the damn thing to him.

HAHA! Dude 3 years ago I found some guy's wallet in the floor of a taxi in Boston. It had about $330 dollars cash in it. I tracked him down and called him, and he asked ME to bring it to HIM, even after I told him I was on vacation and staying about 45 minutes outside of the city. I was like, "Uh, sir... I'm not shipping it, I'm leaving in 2 days, and I don't even have a car where I'm staying to come meet you."

Motherfucker got mad at me like I was the inconsiderate one, when I had every intention of giving him the wallet back with all the cash! So in my head I was like, ok, this is how you're gonna be, ? I then said, "Ok sir I'll find a way, don't worry... is your home address in your drivers license?" He said yes... I said I'd bring it to him and call him right before I arrived. He rejoiced.

I then kept the cash and threw his ing wallet in a dumpster. Ingrate!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Privacy Statement