return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
FAO: Gamers
View this Thread in Original format
Meat187
I'm in need of some advice:
I plan to either buy a PS3 or a decent PC for gaming. Currently I'm leaning more towards the PC, but a PS3 could be used with my TV instead of the small monitor and is cheaper.
So which one would you say I should pick? And if I buy a PC, what should I buy? Graphics card, processor, etc. I don't need something absolutely high end, but newer games should run smoothly on it. What would it cost?
Joss Weatherby
A decent new gaming PC will be around 1500USD.

Obviously that is more than a PS3, but you can also do a lot more with a PC.

Depends really one what sort of games you play. If you play FPS than a PC is always a better choice. If you play more platformers or action games than a console is usually better.
DancingMonkey
PS3 = Pay 15 dollars for five new maps on Call Of Duty MW2. 3 of which are ports of MW1 maps.

PC = Get that map pack and MW2 free.

:o
Meat187
quote:
Originally posted by Joss Weatherby

Note that I already have a Laptop that's good enough for everything else, so I don't actually need a PC to do anything else.
Crap, seems like I underestimated the price. :(

Oh, and I'm not into shooters that much. Much more interested in Survival Horror stuff, a decent role playing game maybe some strategy games and things like that.
Joss Weatherby
quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
Note that I already have a Laptop that's good enough for everything else, so I don't actually need a PC to do anything else.
Crap, seems like I underestimated the price. :(

Eh a PC is still going to outclass a laptop in a number of ways.
Banora
quote:

Depends really one what sort of games you play. If you play FPS than a PC is always a better choice. If you play more platformers or action games than a console is usually better.

This in pretty much every way.

I used to be hardcore PC-only when it came to my serious gaming, but now I neither have the time nor money constantly modifying my computer to keep up. Not to mention: PS3 has a kick-ass Bluray player.
Meat187
quote:
Eh a PC is still going to outclass a laptop in a number of ways.

Sure, but would I need any of them? I don't think so.

quote:
Originally posted by Banora
Not to mention: PS3 has a kick-ass Bluray player.

Yep, but I don't have a single Blu-ray and don't plan to buy some.
DancingMonkey
quote:

Wtf are you smoking? Here's a decent new gaming PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16883229181

Looks like it's around half that price.
Cpt.Cocaine
quote:

That's if you're one of those idiots who constantly need to have every setting maxed even when you can't notice the difference, with a higher res than you can even make out.

On the other hand, the 600$ PC I bought 4 years ago (including monitor and everything), is only just starting to show it's age.

There's this misconception that to do gaming on a pc you need to constantly buy costly upgrades, but the fact is that current game engines have changed very little in the last 5 years or so.
Joss Weatherby
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt.Cocaine
That's if you're one of those idiots who constantly need to have every setting maxed even when you can't notice the difference, with a higher res than you can even make out.

On the other hand, the 600$ PC I bought 4 years ago (including monitor and everything), is only just starting to show it's age.

There's this misconception that to do gaming on a pc you need to constantly buy costly upgrades, but the fact is that current game engines have changed very little in the last 5 years or so.

You've obviously never played ArmA2 :p

Scottaculous
The only idiots who still pay over $1000 for a desktop are Apple users.
infinity HiGH
quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
I'm in need of some advice:
I plan to either buy a PS3 or a decent PC for gaming. Currently I'm leaning more towards the PC, but a PS3 could be used with my TV instead of the small monitor and is cheaper.
So which one would you say I should pick? And if I buy a PC, what should I buy? Graphics card, processor, etc. I don't need something absolutely high end, but newer games should run smoothly on it. What would it cost?

My PC runs the newest games (eg. Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2) without a problem and it's an older system. My vid card is a Geforce 9800GT (that's like 4 years old) and my CPU is a Core2 Duo 8500 (not too sure about the CPU, but it's something close to that and that's at least 3 years old).

You DO NOT need to spend insane amounts of money to get a good gaming PC these days. I paid $600 for the case, CPU, motherboard and RAM. With the video card it would come out to around $825. Mind you, I paid like $160 for the case itself.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Privacy Statement