return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Depression and intelligence
View this Thread in Original format
Domesticated
quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
Stop trying to make goals with your life and start trying to make goals with your hours/days/weeks. I get very apeirophobic when I start thinking about the end of life and what I would like to accomplish before that happens - nobody ing knows what good things they want to accomplish until they get there - yes, it's a bumbling, stupid path that is going to put you through a lot of before anything worthwhile happens, but it's supposedly the journey that counts, and so long as you can achieve some things that are of meaning to you, your life will feel nowhere near as worthless as you assess it to be in your pre-game ramblings as of late. Being utterly honest with yourself about what is meaningful to you in life is the first step, exploring the options of what could be added to that list is the second.

I think your problem, Mr. Jingles, is that you suppose yourself to be pretty ing smart, pretty logical, and all of these chattering apes confirm as such. I don't care if you admit it, you certainly think it somewhere, deep down. But the absolute truth is that you don't know about life - you think that you do, but you don't - and so long as you keep your eyes open, life will teach you a ing lot about how important the struggle is each and every day that you choose to continue with it. knows that being negative about is easy - it's just another form of giving up, your brain finding the fastest route possible to thinking out things by simply reverting to a tiredly pointless and nebulous resolution of vapidity whenever presented with a choice. I don't know what the hell happened in human society to make negativity the intellectual's choice of abandon - likely post-war stoicism coupled with religious juxtaposition time and time again - but the truth is that nobody knows anything, and any encouragement that kills your boundless curiosity as an upright ape is an incorrect one, and a notoriously viral one, at that.

We can wax about the melencolia of post stone-age man for a while, or we can think of ways to seriously improve our world or stations in life using those oniony reptilian brains of ours - even if the goal becomes the fulfillment of conceit, it's a of a lot more worthwhile than this wallowing you've been doing lately, and I mean that in the most selfish sense possible.

This well-written and accurate post got me thinking about something I've realised sub-consciously for a long time.

Is it only intelligent, introspective and self-aware people who get depression? Or does anyone know a superficial, jock type who suffers from it?

If it's only the introspective types, why is this?
Lews
Ignorance is bliss.
Acton
Suddenly I feel a bit better about being depressed.
Lilith
There is actual chemical imbalances which will cause depression, either from sickness, drug abuse or the body simply stops making it naturally.

Then there is circumstantial depression which as simple as it is, just life kicking your arse until the will to persevere gives in and its not something which is endemic to the supposedly 'smart people' of western culture. Introspective or not, there are plenty of people in the world that have not even a bare minimum of education, no personal time past subsistence work to put food on the table and a roof over their head (if they're lucky) that suffer from depression amongst other miseries because life really is just that damn hard it cracks the human spirit.
Sushipunk
quote:
Originally posted by Domesticated
This well-written and accurate post got me thinking about something I've realised sub-consciously for a long time.

Is it only intelligent, introspective and self-aware people who get depression? Or does anyone know a superficial, jock type who suffers from it?

Very, very interesting post.

I know two people that are depressed (clinically diagnosed). Both are guys that I would consider FAR smarter/more intelligent than myself. Huge difference between them - One is now studying med-sci (same age as me), and the other guy is an air-con repair guy (1 year older).

Both of these guys aren't too good with their social skills though. The air con guy has become WAY better over the last few years though, and I assume (from discussing it with him) that it has a lot to do with him being in direct contact with customers every day. People skills, conversational skills etc.

Always have to wonder how much the social aspect of 'life' has an impact on one's psyche?
Meat187
The COR is starting to annoy me with all these threads about suicide and depression lately. The is wrong with all of you?? Can't we go back to discussing funny cats, Slylee's mundane life and Deadmau5? :whip:
EgosXII
most geniuses are considered crazy, or at least eccentric.

As was posted above i really think it's a case of 'ignorance is bliss'

people who actually know how ed up the world is don't have many options except to have a bit of a negative outlook..

higher than average intelligence is also extremely lonely.
people who have no original thoughts (not that there's anything wrong with that) would never feel out of place...

the weird people who are capable of ACTUALLY independant thought often have nobody to consort with about these ideas...
pkcRAISTLIN
and this is why i want to have halcyon's babies.
Domesticated
quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
and this is why i want to have halcyon's babies.

Arbiter will be devastated.
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Arbiter will be devastated.

:stongue:

his too, but he doesn't wanna get married OR have kids. whats a boy to do? :(

Fledz
"Depressed" is thrown about far too much, like many words these days. For most people they should be told "No you're not depressed, you're just a negative idiot that's using a clinical term as an excuse for your self esteem and inability to harden the up".

Just like the word "ADHD". "I'm sorry madam but your child doesn't have ADHD, they are just a terrible child and most likely because you're a parent that can't dish out any discipline".

I could go on....

/rant
Lunar Phase 7
quote:

I can't find the research to back my statement up but a friend and I were talking about this not long ago. I said the more you know the less happy you become. He agreed and said there was a paper showing intelligence and depression strongly and positively correlated one another.

No doubt everyone gets depressed, but it certainly seems to me that deeper thinkers suffer the most.

Mostly I hate the feeling of apathy. I have 5/6 days to write like 5000 word report on a topic I've not even figured out yet. I simply cannot be bothered with the pointlessness of it all any more.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Privacy Statement